Bills Roster Moves 2020 Season

Trentwannabe

On 10/15/2020 at 11:34 AM, Trentwannabe said:

Is anyone really defending Klein play right now? He was brought in for depth and a veteran presence. Injuries and scheme have forced him onto the field. 

The Bell news is legit. 

If klein came in for depth then why did they never fill in the Zo position. I think they truly believed he was suppose to fill in as starter as they didnt bring in anyone else. Not to mention they paid him decent money. So what injuries have forced him on the field? Dodson filled in for Milano but Klein was always the LB to start the season which I do not know why. My concern even with Milano on the field they do not have that edge setter that Zo played and that klein came to Buffalo to fill in. They need to make the adjustment soon as Klein needs to go back to the bench and be the back up if people really think he is a depth signing. 3 years 18 mil to me isnt back up money that to me is a low end starter type move. Like I said I would prefer them to go out and land a guy like Clay as a temp fix for the remainder of the year to add that pressure to the qb and help where klein has yet to do so. 

On 10/15/2020 at 6:43 PM, bigbadbuff said:

Apparently Bell has ruled us out. 

Gonna assume McBeane had a monetary limit they weren't willing to budge from.

I dont think it was a monetary value at this point. The argument that Miami made was a multi year deal worth a lot more then what KC gave him. I think if Bills were an option it was about playing time, and with Moss coming back this week and singletary still the guy it wasnt locked in as him getting a ton of reps in which CEH is the only true back they have in KC. Also the oline for the run game hasnt been that good for us. Having that oline is a huge help for bell and being able to get it in KC is something he will want. His stock is fairly low for his career so he is getting paid by the jets so his best shot is with a team that was willing to give him the ball and get his stock up so this coming offseason he can make a splash at a long term deal and be viewed as a capable starter on a team again. I am not mad at the move or the attempt to get him I just think certain positions need to be addressed before RB. So hopefully they can land someone in the LB spot. I also am not sold on Knox, yes he has a mean stiff arm and can make some plays at times but he can also come in and not make a simple catch. Outside of him they really do not have a long term TE in place, Sweeney is still a project and a 3rd string at best. I would have liked them make a trade for Ertz, mid round pick could get it done, as Philly has to pay him and Goedert. With Philly struggling this year they may be inclined to move him and start the rebuild process as wentz has not lived up to his potential and price tag as of yet.

46 minutes ago, Maxmw22 said:

Does anyone think we should try and trade for a player before the trade deadline and who?

I am torn on someone like Ryan Kerrigan, he is an UFA after the season. I don't see a big market for DL, interior or pass rushers to be honest.

Yes and I think a player like Dalvin Tomlinson DT from Giants would be a great move. He is a run stuffing DT he is on his final year with the giants, they have to pay Leonard Williams if they want to keep him and having to pay Tomlinson may be out of the question so they can land a draft pick that can benefit a team that is rebuilding. Some bills media have already linked him to be a possible trade partner. He could be long term answer for bills if they look to move on from Star when he comes back next year. Nothing but a cheap try out this year that can lead to a long term solution. Star has 2 years left but can be cut after next year.  Butler, and jefferson can be cut after this year freeing up 11.8 mil. Murphy will be gone if he some how makes it the rest of the season, Hughes can be let go and free up 7.3 mil. They can move on from addisson by clearing 6.2 mil. Not saying all these moves will happen but they do have flexibility to clear the line if need be long term.

I doubt it happens but with the Vikings being 1-5 and 4 games behind in the division I dont see why Beane shouldnt reach out to them to see if they can make an offer for Yannick, which would involve a 2nd rd pick in 2021, conditional 3rd in 2022 (if he is locked in long term), and trent Murphy (need a money dump to pay the remaining balance of yannick and murphy could fill in for them this year). In the 5 games he has started he has 5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, something that can be beneficial to the bills again this could be a try out for the remainder of the year and if he isnt then the bills lose out on a 3rd rd but he looks overall to be an upgrade to what we got and younger. We have gone the quantity over quality route when it comes to dlineman and this clearly has backfired, I think a signing of yannick long term can be beneficial as he is clearly better then what we have signed on this team. Espenesa has shown he is not ready and he needs alot of work so next offseason dline will be a top priority i think getting a DT like Tomlinson or younger pass rusher would be beneficial now then having to wait until the offseason to start. As you mention Ryan Kerigan I do not want this because that just means another pass rusher at 32 years old. 

I also would like for them to look at a LB to fill in for Klein starting role as well as a possible kicker (Randy Bullock from Cincy, his career is around 84-85% in making) He will be a fa after this year and his cost wouldnt be that much to make a move for him. 

I dont expect them to be making multiple moves but I think 1 of 3 positions should be looked at via trade before the deadline. They have to stop the run on defense and with Star out and guys who they have signed have not been capable of doing so. That would be my top priority and then LB would be tied for second with a capable pass rusher

Surprise move would be trading for ertz as a consistent pass catching te would help out. Knox has been ehh, missing catchable balls has been an issue of his since coming in to the league. He makes up for it on some catches and stiff arms but at times I do not see why he drops easy catches. 

Edited by soflbillsfan

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yes and I think a player like Dalvin Tomlinson DT from Giants would be a great move. He is a run stuffing DT he is on his final year with the giants, they have to pay Leonard Williams if they want to keep him and having to pay Tomlinson may be out of the question so they can land a draft pick that can benefit a team that is rebuilding. Some bills media have already linked him to be a possible trade partner. He could be long term answer for bills if they look to move on from Star when he comes back next year. Nothing but a cheap try out this year that can lead to a long term solution. Star has 2 years left but can be cut after next year.  Butler, and jefferson can be cut after this year freeing up 11.8 mil. Murphy will be gone if he some how makes it the rest of the season, Hughes can be let go and free up 7.3 mil. They can move on from addisson by clearing 6.2 mil. Not saying all these moves will happen but they do have flexibility to clear the line if need be long term.

I doubt it happens but with the Vikings being 1-5 and 4 games behind in the division I dont see why Beane shouldnt reach out to them to see if they can make an offer for Yannick, which would involve a 2nd rd pick in 2021, conditional 3rd in 2022 (if he is locked in long term), and trent Murphy (need a money dump to pay the remaining balance of yannick and murphy could fill in for them this year). In the 5 games he has started he has 5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, something that can be beneficial to the bills again this could be a try out for the remainder of the year and if he isnt then the bills lose out on a 3rd rd but he looks overall to be an upgrade to what we got and younger. We have gone the quantity over quality route when it comes to dlineman and this clearly has backfired, I think a signing of yannick long term can be beneficial as he is clearly better then what we have signed on this team. Espenesa has shown he is not ready and he needs alot of work so next offseason dline will be a top priority i think getting a DT like Tomlinson or younger pass rusher would be beneficial now then having to wait until the offseason to start. As you mention Ryan Kerigan I do not want this because that just means another pass rusher at 32 years old. 

I also would like for them to look at a LB to fill in for Klein starting role as well as a possible kicker (Randy Bullock from Cincy, his career is around 84-85% in making) He will be a fa after this year and his cost wouldnt be that much to make a move for him. 

I dont expect them to be making multiple moves but I think 1 of 3 positions should be looked at via trade before the deadline. They have to stop the run on defense and with Star out and guys who they have signed have not been capable of doing so. That would be my top priority and then LB would be tied for second with a capable pass rusher

Surprise move would be trading for ertz as a consistent pass catching te would help out. Knox has been ehh, missing catchable balls has been an issue of his since coming in to the league. He makes up for it on some catches and stiff arms but at times I do not see why he drops easy catches. 

I can't get behind getting rid of Bass yet. He is a rookie after all. I mean Harrison Butker has missed 4 XP's this year? and the defending champs seem to be ok with him. I would cry for days if we brought in Randy Bullock here. I live in Cincinnati, and my lord, if there was a definition of an un-clutch kicker, it would show a picture of Randy Bullock.

I think the bar overall has been lowered for kickers, you either have a Justin Tucker type, or you don't, and there are not a lot of Justin Tucker types.

14 minutes ago, Maxmw22 said:

I can't get behind getting rid of Bass yet. He is a rookie after all. I mean Harrison Butker has missed 4 XP's this year? and the defending champs seem to be ok with him. I would cry for days if we brought in Randy Bullock here. I live in Cincinnati, and my lord, if there was a definition of an un-clutch kicker, it would show a picture of Randy Bullock.

I think the bar overall has been lowered for kickers, you either have a Justin Tucker type, or you don't, and there are not a lot of Justin Tucker types.

Thing is bass was inconsistent in college and he is already inconsistent in the pros I dont really care who they bring in for kicker its got to be better then what they currently have. I get some people think its his rookie year but at the position your entire life you either have what it takes to be consistent or you dont and this kid does not have it. I think Butker is still on the team is because he piped a 53, 58, and 58 to win against the chargers a few weeks ago. This kid bass you cant count on in a game winning situation to do something like that if he cant hit a half time fg or a chip shot which put the jets back in to the game week 1. It may not have to be Bullock I am just saying it can be someone else at this point that you can feel confident behind right now bass has proven not to be a guy who you can confidently sit behind and say if the game is on the line and he needs to chip in a 39 yd fg  to win it. Still think the top 3 needs are DT, DE, and LB, kicker is something that can be tested by bringing someone in for a tryout or look at a trade opportunity. Bills are in win now mode not 2-3 years so having a clutch kicker is one of those needs. Not top priority but still a need.

17 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

Who would give us anything for him? If we are able to get a late round pick how much of his salary will we have to eat?

a draft pick could be packaged in to it or a different player. Not saying it will happen just saying they are looking to move him to dump the cap some teams will take it on for a mid to late rd swap. Trent and a 6th for a 7th or something.

And beane goes back to his comfort zone by bringing yet another ex panther for a visit in CB Worley. Maybe one day they go outside of the ex panther bubble. I think we are around 10-12 ex panthers making the roster at one point since coming over in 2017 (Star, Butler, Norman, Williams are currently on the team not to mention other guys in the past like Munnerlyn, Tolbert etc.)

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop in Poe, I know he wasnt there when beane and mcdermott were but he has worked with the Dline coach for 2 years. Once he gets back to a healthier weight I am sure the bills will bring him in for a visit.