Week 2: Buffalo Bills (1-0) @ Miami Dolphins (0-1)

TheKillerNacho

Not a bad second game of the season but a painful loss, 0 and 2 in the division to the best two teams in the division. I would say any slight chance of a division crown are gone how ever slim they were. Still not ruling out a shot at that last wild card spot though 8 and 8 will give us a shot at it. O-line is looking good I hope they stay healthy and get some experience playing as a group. TE is solid receiver's are looking decent. The whole defense just looks out of position on most plays just bad execution but it should get better. Jones groing injury did not look good I am concerned that is going to be a season long problem , he dropped quick and was in a lot of pain like it could have been a tear or something. 

Miami still looks good though two games against playoff division opponents and they were competitive in both considering all the off season changes and no preseason games I see much improvement over this time last season. Maybe the short week will be good so there is no time to dwell on a tough loss today.

Don't have access to all-22 but not a lot of positive from that first half that I can remember. Not much doing on Offense and Defense got worked hard. Obviously Byron Jones going down really hurt but they could do anything they wanted. Run game or passing game. So far the big investments in FA on D have not paid off. 

Second half we looked much better. Fitzpatrick got in a groove and Gesicki, Ford and Gaskin got hot. Rough game for Noah Ig but going against Diggs in your second career NFL start isn't an easy assignment. We'll see how he bounces back.

Overall, we are a much more competitive team than last year which was expected but still good to see. We lost to a playoff team by 3pts and we look somewhat competitive last week against a NE team who is tied w/ Seattle right now. We had a lot of missed opportunities to score or to create turnovers on D today, we could've won this game if we executed on them plays. Simple as that.

Didn't pay much attention to the Oline today tbh. Anyone have a little bit of a summary of how they looked? I know Jesse Davis got beat badly a few times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Any positive takeaways?

Matt Haack had a really nice punt haha 

Gesicki looked great. He made two sick catches. One sweet one-hander. The other a contested TD grab. 

The offensive line continues to look better than I expected. I honestly thought they'd be our weakest position group. They're definitely not. 

Isaiah Ford made some nice plays. 

Fitz-magic continues to play tough as heck. 

Gaskin flashed here and there. I'm hoping Howard and Breida push at practice to get playing time. 

• Like 1

My takeaways:

1.  Holy hell, we may actually have the making of a legiitimate O-line.  That was a really good DL that we just faced, and they more than held their own.  Definitely more pressure on Fitzpatrick this week than last, but he wasn't running for his life like he was last year.  Even the run game was better, with 4.5 ypc yesterday.  Jesse Davis got worked a little bit, but he's not in the long term future of the team anyway.  The ones that count were solid.  

2.  Gesicki is a really tough matchup as a receiver and had a great game.  I love it when he's used properly.

3.  Parker played the whole game and did well against one of the better corners in football.

4.  Christian Wilkins is already starting to get the Suh treatment, i.e. double-teamed on every play.  I just hope he doesn't get frustrated.  

5.  On that note, the rest of the DL once again played like crap next to Wilkins.

6.  For the 2nd week in a row, the pass rush was nonexistant.  Josh Allen is not an accurate QB, but when he doesn't even need to move an inch back there, even he can be mostly on target.  All the money spent on Lawson and Ogbah looks to be a waste through 2 weeks.

7.  Nik Needham and Noah Igbinoghene were absolutely abused all game.  Again, the zero pass rush played a role, but they both had really bad games.

8.  Byron Jones got hurt in the 1st quarter, and didn't return.  I think it was a groin injury, which can linger quite awhile.  Sucks.

9.  Again, we need a big infusion of talent to this LB corps.  

10.  Preston Williams had a terrible drop in the end zone on 4th and goal.  That could have been the difference between a W or L.  

11.  Myles Gaskin performed admirably, but why the heck isn't Matt Breida getting more touches?  This guy is electric.  

• Like 1

In short we had a chance in this game (and last weeks). This time last year we were being embarrassed by opponents. This is definitely a better team than last year but there will be more growing pains to come when the QB switches over. It was rough watching Herbert get the start in SD and show what he can do. Hopefully we start the process sometime this season, no offense to Fitz.