Jay Gruden

lavar703

He made mistake after mistake. Whether it be the toss play to Perine instead of Thompson or foolishly leaving the Chiefs 47 seconds and two timeouts to work with to end the game. I'm not sure what to think of him anymore but I'm starting to get the feeling he's holding the team back. 

I find myself feeling like he costs this team so many games with stupid playcalling, getting away from the run, not playing the best players and stubbornly sticking with stuff that simply doesn't work i.e. Redzone playcalling. I like him a lot and I think the players would run through a brick wall for him but he seems overmatched quite a bit. 

Maybe I'm wrong and just extremely irritated over a winnable game but that seems to be the theme of his tenure. Losing very winnable games. I mean everybody could see how beat up the defense was last night and Gruden still played for the field goal. It's infuriating and blaming a guy that he puts on the field for a couple series a game just seems asinine. 

At the end of the day Perone needs touches!!! He gives his players chances he also eases them on the field. Honestly I’m not complaining at a team or coach who lost its best defensive player and plenty more throughout who honestly was a great catch away from a win, against the best team in the league. Like we can knit pick every thing Gruden does or we can see the fact that year after year this team has become more tough week in and week out and continue to build. Or hey why not pull a Snider and blow it up why the heck not I love starting over I really enjoyed sucking the last 25 years!!!!

I didnt see him abandon the run so much as he abandoned the types of runs. Perine has no vision. He is not the style of runner the Redskins have needed. Rob Kelley is not either. 

The one thing I dont like about Gruden, is that he is the complete opposite of his brother. His brother would stare at you with those Chucky eyes to let you know he was pissed. He would yell when he was pissed. 

Gruden_Chucky_Face.jpg  5696471748907.image.jpg?resize=448%2C252

Jay is so passive at doing that stuff. 

Most of the time I think Jay is thinking about wings: 

jon-gruden-hooters-a.gif?w=1000

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He made mistake after mistake. Whether it be the toss play to Perine instead of Thompson or foolishly leaving the Chiefs 47 seconds and two timeouts to work with to end the game. I'm not sure what to think of him anymore but I'm starting to get the feeling he's holding the team back. 

I find myself feeling like he costs this team so many games with stupid playcalling, getting away from the run, not playing the best players and stubbornly sticking with stuff that simply doesn't work i.e. Redzone playcalling. I like him a lot and I think the players would run through a brick wall for him but he seems overmatched quite a bit. 

Maybe I'm wrong and just extremely irritated over a winnable game but that seems to be the theme of his tenure. Losing very winnable games. I mean everybody could see how beat up the defense was last night and Gruden still played for the field goal. It's infuriating and blaming a guy that he puts on the field for a couple series a game just seems asinine. 

Don't forget the stupid *** mistake to have Mack Brown inactive.  seriously you have Kelly that is banged up, you have Perine that is a rookie and really has not shown you all that much and you are going into a game where its almost a must to continue to run the ball.  Terrible mistake.

Another terrible mistake is running CT up the gut on 2 and 2 on that last drive.  Seriously?  But I forgot Perine was in his doghouse then, but if he had Brown you run him twice up behind Trend with Scherff pulling and you get those two yards AND you run down the clock.  

Second drive into the redzone, we have a first and goal inside the 7, get to the two and we get cute with read zone and crap like that.  Man up and run it with Kelly.  We go up there 14-0 and not 10-0 it takes the crowd out of play.

The timeout and pass on the last drive that left 47 seconds on the clock is absolutely inexcusable. Even if Doctson secures the catch there's no guarantee the chiefs, with two timeouts and with 50 seconds still on the clock don't go down the field and score against a tired, banged up defense. 

I have mixed feelings only because he has done worse many many times. Its what we have in Gruden- he wont win games for you and will lose a few with his getting away from the run and clock management. If Doctson comes down with that ball we aren't talking about this at all. The timeout was so bad but again if the WR sacrafices his body for his team and uses two arms to protect the ball, we win. He didn't. Guess Falling down hurts him more than losing. Breeland and Preston were big factors the defense never got off the field too. As the late great Kenny used to say " 90% of games are lost not won", and this game was lost. 

Merlin_247154-1024x755.jpg&w=480

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

I didnt see him abandon the run so much as he abandoned the types of runs. Perine has no vision. He is not the style of runner the Redskins have needed. Rob Kelley is not either. 

The one thing I dont like about Gruden, is that he is the complete opposite of his brother. His brother would stare at you with those Chucky eyes to let you know he was pissed. He would yell when he was pissed. 

hooters-o.gif

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

Idk I just don’t think grown men need to be yelled at. Personally these players shouldn’t even need to be motivated to play a game that they love. That said I’m not going to knock this team for losing a game that personally was on sided by the officials!!! Not complaining because good teams overcome officials making bad calls. But there were 5 huge plays that were called on 3rd downs or the pass that put them in field goal range at the end that should have came back. It is what it is though. We lost and we can blame Gruden or whatever player didn’t make one play or so. But we had a chance and we lost. It was a good hard fought game. We definitely got the bye week at the right time. We have to get some guys patched up and ready for the rest of the year. Of course Gruden isn’t perfect. Yes sometimes I would like too see some fire. But that’s not him and I just want the players to respect him and this staff and continue to fight for 60 minutes!!

10 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

I have mixed feelings only because he has done worse many many times. Its what we have in Gruden- he wont win games for you and will lose a few with his getting away from the run and clock management. If Doctson comes down with that ball we aren't talking about this at all. The timeout was so bad but again if the WR sacrafices his body for his team and uses two arms to protect the ball, we win. He didn't. Guess Falling down hurts him more than losing 

Yes he should have caught that but let’s not act like he didn’t give it his best. He had two hands and was cradling the ball the ground knocked it out. It happens. Maybe trying it twice was more along the lines of what should have happened. We needed 2 yards we took a shot good throw great try it wasn’t our day. Simply we have to be better. 3rd downs looked like last year. Their offensive line was hurt and we should have blitzed alittle more. But coulda shoulda woulda we gave them a game and we almost took it at their house.

55 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Why were we slinging for the endzone on 3rd down anyways?  Even if we score we'd still give the Chiefs a full minute to score with our wore out defense.  Why didn't we just go for the first down?

This was kinda my thought. I mean Reed was actually open too. But He made a choice and we almost were rewarded. It just didn’t happen. I think the chiefs were thinking that we were gonna just try to pick up the first but we gambled. My only concern was I personally would have gone for the first after that. But we just got beat by a team that didn’t have the injuries we did and I thought we still played good offensively. The defense just shot themselves every time they did make a stop the last quarter and we couldn’t hold them off. 

Even if Doctson scores the chiefs go right down the field and score. It took two plays for them to get in field goal range. Not running the clock down was monumentally stupid and Gruden has eff'd clock management several times. He just doesn't get it and this is going on five years now. 

Archived