Jay Gruden

lavar703

On 10/3/2017 at 6:00 PM, lavar703 said:

You're literally summing up an entire game over a guy who barely plays not making a catch with a high degree of difficulty. It's absurd. The game wasn't even over if Doctson makes the catch. They still had 50 seconds and two timeouts. 

True it was a difficult catch but the difficult part of the catch he made.  The easy part holding on to the ball when he hits the ground he messed up.  And IMO the game may not have been over as you say, but KC would have had a hell of a time scoring a TD, this D is not the same D as last year in Detroit, nor is the D coordinator.  However totally agree with the stupid time out.  You don't call a time out on a 3rd down unless the play you called looks totally lost against the look of the D.

On 10/3/2017 at 2:16 PM, lavar703 said:

Even if Doctson scores the chiefs go right down the field and score. It took two plays for them to get in field goal range. Not running the clock down was monumentally stupid and Gruden has eff'd clock management several times. He just doesn't get it and this is going on five years now. 

Getting into FG range and needing a TD to win are two different things. Extremely different things. They needed a TD to win and Alex Smith is not Tom Brady. Alex Smith is not Aaron Rodgers. 

If you keep everything in front with 3 rushing. 90% chance we win that game. We would have been up by 4 with 47 seconds to go. 

7 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Getting into FG range and needing a TD to win are two different things. Extremely different things. They needed a TD to win and Alex Smith is not Tom Brady. Alex Smith is not Aaron Rodgers. 

If you keep everything in front with 3 rushing. 90% chance we win that game. We would have been up by 4 with 47 seconds to go. 

They got nearly 50 yards in two plays. I have no faith they would've been kept out of the end zone. 

Keeping them out of the endzone is easier than keeping them out of FG range. Their playcalling becomes more urgent. They needed 80 yards and not 40. You keep everything in front. 

Preventing FG range means you actually have to play defense. The reason why they got 50 yards was because the DL didnt contain Smith and he was able to escape the pocket and run. 

58 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Keeping them out of the endzone is easier than keeping them out of FG range. Their playcalling becomes more urgent. They needed 80 yards and not 40. You keep everything in front. 

Preventing FG range means you actually have to play defense. The reason why they got 50 yards was because the DL didnt contain Smith and he was able to escape the pocket and run. 

Flip side of that is preventing them from actually having the time to do said feat.

The defense was gassed. Expecting them to hold at that point was too much. Yes, it's their job but sometimes the body cannot perform what you ask it to.

On 10/5/2017 at 11:53 AM, Woz said:

Flip side of that is preventing them from actually having the time to do said feat.

The defense was gassed. Expecting them to hold at that point was too much. Yes, it's their job but sometimes the body cannot perform what you ask it to.

Idk I feel like the D was getting exposed . Even against the Rams they got many chunks of yards from there RB . Now the chiefs ranked #1 in YAC and they showed it . But our D has a weakness which are TEs and giving up small chunks of yards that turn big .

On 10/5/2017 at 10:29 AM, mike23md said:

Our end zone plays where good tho considering .

10 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Idk I feel like the D was getting exposed . Even against the Rams they got many chunks of yards from there RB . Now the chiefs ranked #1 in YAC and they showed it . But our D has a weakness which are TEs and giving up small chunks of yards that turn big .

The one major weakens we have and we need to fix right away is giving the QBs 3rd and 4th chances when they scramble out of pocket.  And I am saying this is the most important thing to fix because we have two QBs in our division that do exactly that with Dak and Wentz.  In fact the only reason we lost that first game against the Eagles was Wentz getting out of sack situations, that is how their first TD game about on an entire broken play, one that we should have sacked him for a huge loss.  Its more imperative for me to fix this issue than fix the TE issue which is considerable but not game changing.

4 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

The one major weakens we have and we need to fix right away is giving the QBs 3rd and 4th chances when they scramble out of pocket.  And I am saying this is the most important thing to fix because we have two QBs in our division that do exactly that with Dak and Wentz.  In fact the only reason we lost that first game against the Eagles was Wentz getting out of sack situations, that is how their first TD game about on an entire broken play, one that we should have sacked him for a huge loss.  Its more imperative for me to fix this issue than fix the TE issue which is considerable but not game changing.

yes this is true ....we need to play more contains or get into a sub package where we send corners and safeties instead because for whatever reason our linebackers cant chase down the qbs when they run .

or just do a 7 man blitz and force the qb to throw when we send 6 i feel like we aren't successful . Time to get more aggressive with the blitz because our D does fine until the qb scrambles etc .

So far this year Jay has coached better than he ever has. He has committed more to the run, trying to stay balanced. He’s still bad at preparing his team to start the season, too slow or cautious in using Chris Thompson, and a poor clock manager guy. He’s what he is- the third lowest paid coach in the league and you get what you pay for with him. He’s done better than before - Doc looking on the bright side- but still it’s like saying “ damn you ain’t as ugly as I thought you were”

I think we have a coach who in his first time has shown he can and will improve. We have improved the talent level. We have improved the staff. And we have improved the culture and level of play on the field. No coach just comes in and is the ultimate manager of clock and situational presence. But for a guy who’s just riding off of his brothers name and was only good enough for arena football gigs I’d say he’s doing pretty good in the NFL considering he’s just a lazy beer drinking no emotion gimmick offense using can’t hack it guy. But he’s also lasted longer then anyone else and brought the most stability this team has seen so let’s just keep calling for his job when we lose without our best players on the field lol

On 10/9/2017 at 6:25 AM, TheGreeK1973 said:

I can agree to an extent about fixing the need to contain QB's. The edge rushers literally rush the passer so containment is harder on the defense unless they are in a Wide 9 set, but the Redskins took the Chiefs to the limit. There were a few play calls where I would have been eh? But frankly, I firmly believe, Doctson makes that catch, we win the game. 

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I think we have a coach who in his first time has shown he can and will improve. We have improved the talent level. We have improved the staff. And we have improved the culture and level of play on the field. No coach just comes in and is the ultimate manager of clock and situational presence. But for a guy who’s just riding off of his brothers name and was only good enough for arena football gigs I’d say he’s doing pretty good in the NFL considering he’s just a lazy beer drinking no emotion gimmick offense using can’t hack it guy. But he’s also lasted longer then anyone else and brought the most stability this team has seen so let’s just keep calling for his job when we lose without our best players on the field lol

There's a difference between an "ultimate manager of clock" and "making patently obvious boneheaded mistakes with the clock." There have been some personnel question marks as well: Perine on a toss play? Thompson up the middle? Wouldn't it be better to reverse those two? There is also the issue of going for the home run ball when a short completion/run will do the job. And the lack of preparation/coming in cold at the start of the season is definitely a thing ... I'll be curious to see how we play out of the shoot against the 49ers.

I will give him credit: he has been MUCH more willing to run the ball than I thought he would. He's a middle of the road coach.

To be fair, that is a significant improvement.

27 minutes ago, Woz said:

There's a difference between an "ultimate manager of clock" and "making patently obvious boneheaded mistakes with the clock." There have been some personnel question marks as well: Perine on a toss play? Thompson up the middle? Wouldn't it be better to reverse those two? There is also the issue of going for the home run ball when a short completion/run will do the job. And the lack of preparation/coming in cold at the start of the season is definitely a thing ... I'll be curious to see how we play out of the shoot against the 49ers.

I will give him credit: he has been MUCH more willing to run the ball than I thought he would. He's a middle of the road coach.

To be fair, that is a significant improvement.

He’s a middle of the road coach right now. People improve at their craft and he’s pretty new at this. No excuse just saying. Plus on the shot to Josh that I believe was the QB’s decision. He had 3 short options and 2 deep and he chose the deep. That’s a popular play and generally we run to a underneath route. As for the run Perine should be able to run and catch a toss. And Chris has made plays up the gut. These are after the play didn’t work assesments of a failed play. Gruden didn’t know a aback was gonna fumble a toss. And I trust Chris Thompson anywhere on the field. As for the clock he definetly can improve!!

26 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He’s a middle of the road coach right now. People improve at their craft and he’s pretty new at this. No excuse just saying.

He's been a head coach for three plus years now. I think he's past "new at this." I will grant that I have seen improvements this year, but I wouldn't be so sure he'll get above this point. Maybe I'm wrong.

28 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Plus on the shot to Josh that I believe was the QB’s decision. He had 3 short options and 2 deep and he chose the deep.

In the post game press conference, Gruden seemed to believe that they needed to score right then and there. This was part of his justification for taking the timeout.

28 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

As for the run Perine should be able to run and catch a toss. And Chris has made plays up the gut. These are after the play didn’t work assesments of a failed play. Gruden didn’t know a aback was gonna fumble a toss. And I trust Chris Thompson anywhere on the field.

While it is true that he couldn't have foreseen Perine's fumble, he did choose to bench Perine for the rest of the game. There's a point where you have to say "kid, you screwed up last time, but I'm giving you another chance. Don't eff this up." Most would think it would be longer odds forThompson to get two yards in a RB dive than Perine. If he really wanted Thompson out there, then why not a flare or call the toss and show how it was supposed to work?

32 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

As for the clock he definetly can improve!!

We can only hope he does.

Archived