Washington's Edge talent

MSURacerDT55

Can anyone name a team that had that much talent on the edge whether it was an odd or even front? They are absolutely LOADED at DE with Ryan Kerrigan, Chase Young, and Montez Sweat. Can anyone name some other loaded edge fronts like this?

Off Hand I can think of:

-2007 Giants: Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, and Mathias Kiwanuka

-2010 Giants: Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul

-2011 Steelers: James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, Jason Worilds

-2018 Broncos: Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Shaq Barrett

-2017 Vikings: Everson Griffen, Danielle Hunter, Brian Roberson

Late 80's early 90's Eagles

Reggie White (198 sacks) 

• 21 in 12 games in 1987
  • 18 in 1988
  • 11 sacks in 1989

Clyde Simmons (121.5 sacks)

• 15.5 in 1989 
  • 19 in 1992

Jerome Brown (29/5 sacks in 5 seasons before he died in 1992)

• 10.5 sacks in 1989
  • 9 sacks in 1991

Mike and Mike  (Pitts and Golic)

• Combined for 10 sacks in 1989

Yes, that's 47 sacks from those 5 guys in 1989.

They anchored the best DVOA defense in researched history on that 1991 team.

Look what they did to Troy Aikman that year: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199109150dal.htm

Dallas had 90 total yards in Dallas.

• Like 2

Given Sweat’s good but not all-world rookie season, Young’s status as a rookie, and Kerrigan’s age - you could probably find a comparable-ish group in any given season. 

Last year we saw Armstead, Ford, and Bosa. The year before we saw Miller, Chubb, and Barrett. Before that it was Campbell, Ngakoue, and Fowler. Before that it was Hunter, Griffen, and Robison. There was Miller, Ware, and Barrett. There’s been Watt, Mercilus, and Clowney. Houston, Hali, and Ford. Suggs, Dumervil, McPhee. Tuck, Osi, JPP. Long, Hayes, Quinn. 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 2

Recently:

-13 Seahawks with Bennett and Avril

-15 Broncos with Ware and Miller (my favorite, personally)

-13-14 Ravens with Dumervil and Suggs (in 2014 we also had a young Pernell McPhee who had 7.5 sacks that year)

-19 Bosa and Ingram

-19 other Bosa and Dee Ford

I guess what I'm saying is that, there's been plenty of teams with equal or better edge talent in recent years.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Late 80's early 90's Eagles

Reggie White (198 sacks) 

• 21 in 12 games in 1987
  • 18 in 1988
  • 11 sacks in 1989

Clyde Simmons (121.5 sacks)

• 15.5 in 1989 
  • 19 in 1992

Jerome Brown (29/5 sacks in 5 seasons before he died in 1992)

• 10.5 sacks in 1989
  • 9 sacks in 1991

Mike and Mike  (Pitts and Golic)

• Combined for 10 sacks in 1989

Yes, that's 47 sacks from those 5 guys in 1989.

They anchored the best DVOA defense in researched history on that 1991 team.

Look what they did to Troy Aikman that year: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199109150dal.htm

Dallas had 90 total yards in Dallas.

That Eagle D Line is the greatest of all time in my book

12 hours ago, 43M said:

When talking about Washingtons edge talent, you also have to list Jonathan Allen.   You may be just talking about pure pass rushers, but Allen is a huge part of it.

Oh, Trust me, I of all people know about Allen, Ioannidis, Payne and even Tim Settle. I did specifically state edge but it might as well be the whole group because Washington is LOADED

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

15 Broncos with Ware and Miller wasn't fair

Agreed, they damn near won the Super Bowl by themselves 

Here's a sleeper group:

12 Lions ( Avril, Suh, Fairley, Vanden Bosch)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

That 2013 team also had Chris Clemons, who was in decline at that point.

2015 Seahawks had the deepest edge talent in the LOB era. Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Frank Clark, Bruce Irvin.

Good catch. Man Frank Clark as a rookie was a beast when he was just rotating in on that DL.

Also unrelated but we can't forget about the original "NASCAR" package that the NYG rolled out with Justin Tuck, JPP,  Osi, Linval Joseph and Chris Canty. That DL was stacked.

2008 Steelers with Harrison and Woodley at their respective peaks as well as a young/super athletic Lawrence Timmons were terrifying. If we're including DE's there was also the always underrated Aaron Smith. 

2006 Ravens with Suggs and Adalius Thomas as the starters on the EDGE and Jarrett Johnson for depth were great as well. Bart Scott played ILB but Rex Ryan moved guys around so much that he operated like an OLB or edge rusher plenty as well and had probably the best year of his career that season (8 sacks). Trevor Pryce also had a DPOY worthy year that year from the DE slot. 

Some of those Chargers teams back then with prime Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips were pretty amazing as well. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

2006 Ravens with Suggs and Adalius Thomas as the starters on the EDGE and Jarrett Johnson for depth were great as well. Bart Scott played ILB but Rex Ryan moved guys around so much that he operated like an OLB or edge rusher plenty as well and had probably the best year of his career that season (8 sacks). Trevor Pryce also had a DPOY worthy year that year from the DE slot. 

Was going to suggest the 06 Ravens. That's the most talented defense I've watched in my lifetime. 

• Like 1