Bye Week GDT Edition (Week 5)

iLikeDefense

Let's use this thread for discussion since the Denver Broncos will be on a bye for week 5. Once we get closer to week 6, I will create a new GDT.
usa_today_10321717.0.jpg
Peko leading the way for #GroundControl

Some topics to discuss:

- What can we do to keep Siemian clean for majority of the game?
- Should Booker and Henderson be getting more burn to keep CJ fresh for the rest of the season?
- Has Bolles met your expectations thus far?
- Will Denver's elite run D hold up?
- How have Simmons and Parks held up? What do they need to improve on?
- Who's your favorite rookie/UDFA so far?
- Now that we are 1/4 done with the season, how do see the rest of the games play out?

-What can we do to keep Siemian clean for majority of the game?  Get a competent RT, and run the ball more.  I am not sure why McCoy is quit to abandon it especially when it is working.  There a few times last week where the Broncos were moving the ball well on the ground and then looked to pass...we have three capable running backs...let's use them.  JC and CJ and now Booker can keep Siemien clean.  Until the other teams stop it, I say go with it. 

- Should Booker and Henderson be getting more burn to keep CJ fresh for the rest of the season? I think Booker for sure...and he will. 

- Has Bolles met your expectations thus far? Yes. 

- Will Denver's elite run D hold up? Yes. 

- How have Simmons and Parks held up? What do they need to improve on? Simmons is a roller coaster...brilliant on some plays, boneheaded on other.  But expected for his first year as a starter.  Parks' only flaw I see is that he gets stupid penalties.  I like the fire, but it needs to be discipline.  Otherwise I like is versatility.  

- Who's your favorite rookie/UDFA so far? Bolles...who else?  He seems to be coming into his own, and faced some pretty good competition so far.  

- Now that we are 1/4 done with the season, how do see the rest of the games play out? Defense and pound the rock...old school Otis Anderson on the Giants kind of play.

I'm pretty confident run D will hold up. It isn't just that Peko and Gotsis are a dramatic upgrade from Sly and Crick (and Barrett an upgrade from Ray too; keep Barrett in the starting lineup going forward), it's also how aggressively the LBs are playing the run. The front 7 is filling every gap and leaving nowhere for running backs to go, plus we have the speed to kill anything that bounces outside. You CAN scheme a run game away, the problem is 31 other teams aren't close to having the necessary personnel to do that and not get killed in the passing game. 

Makes last year all the more frustrating. Again, Sly and Crick were terrible, but the coaches really did nothing all year to help them. And this secondary was just as potent. 

So far, so good. Our next two games are the hapless Giants at home and then a trip to the equally hapless Chargers that will feel like a home game because our fans will take over the stubhub center.

Let's get to 5-1 before trips to KC and Philly and the Patriots at home. That 3-game stand is probably what's going to tell us if we're true superbowl contenders. If we can win two of them and get to 7-2 then it's time to start thinking about it.

My thoughts.

- Honestly, outside of a trade I don't see how Denver can do much to keep Siemian clean.  Playing Barbre more would help at LG, but at RT this team will have to find a new player. 

- We did see a healthy Booker get some reps vs Oakland so I can see him getting more and more carries and reps as he gets into game shape.  If all of Anderson, Charles, Booker stay healthy I don't see Henderson getting much work, even though I found him very impressive in preseason.

- Bolles has easily met expectations.  He's had ups and downs and that will continue, but he has been a HUGE upgrade at OT.  I was incredibly happy his injury week 2 wasn't serious because with more experience he will only improve.  His athleticism is on display every week, he's tough as nails and plays with a nasty demeanor.  Once he gets the experience facing NFL rushers and cleans up his technique he'll be a bookend LT for this team.

- I hope the run D sustains and I think it should.  They've faced elite to borderline elite runners every week and shut them down.  

- With Simmons communication seemed to be his biggest flaw.  He's taken some poor angles at times as well, but he's a really active player that's always around the ball.  The communication will come, Denver is asking him to do more than they did last season.  He looks excellent in a CF type of role and I hope to see more of that moving forward.  Parks isn't a great athlete, but exceptional instincts and isn't afraid to stick his nose in there.  I think he's always a guy that will give some plays up, but he'll make more good plays than bad.

-  My favorite rookie is tough.  I've liked both Bolles and McKenzie.  I'm going with Bolles though.  He's been good and filled a major position of need.  Can you imagine what the OL would look like without Bolles?

-  As long as the defense continues playing elite I see this team in the playoffs.  If the defense takes a step back Denver will struggle.

-  I am adding 1 more.  I think the coaching staff has been terrific.  Literally every weakness from a year ago has been improved upon.

13 hours ago, germ-x said:

Honestly, outside of a trade I don't see how Denver can do much to keep Siemian clean.  Playing Barbre more would help at LG, but at RT this team will have to find a new player. 

Maybe they should talk to the Redskins about Ty Nsenke, their backup T who played fairly well last year. 

35 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Maybe they should talk to the Redskins about Ty Nsenke, their backup T who played fairly well last year. 

They've gotta do something.  Duane Brown is unlikely but Elway has to upgrade that RT spot now or Trevor might die

Our only real shot at a RT upgrade is with a team with nothing to play for, a QB they don’t care about long term, and a T they aren’t attached to as part of their future core.  

The teams who are thinking 2018 are likely the 0-4 teams.  The Browns see both their T as 2018 core guys.    The Chargers don’t upgrade us (plus AFCW trades so rare).   The G-Men don’t upgrade us and they would be crucified for doing a rebuild trade anyways.      Hou is a contender and as covered before, they hold all the cards with Duane Brown under the current CBA, he’s not going anywhere  for a discount.

The only real fit I see is SF and Staley.   Wonder what their price is and if he’s comfortable playing RT.  Add it all up, seems like long odds to upgrade RT further this trade deadline.  

8 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I traded for him last year in gm mocks and signed him in my dynasty league. However redskins won't part with him. Not with how unsure Trent getting suspended or injured is. The insurance is worth more than what we would trade.

From coaching through FA most of Elways decisions have worked well.

The one that got away was Whitworth. I'll bet Elway would like a "do over" there. What a difference it would make with Whitworth at LT and Bolles learning his trade at RT.

40 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

From coaching through FA most of Elways decisions have worked well.

The one that got away was Whitworth. I'll bet Elway would like a "do over" there. What a difference it would make with Whitworth at LT and Bolles learning his trade at RT.

I thought about advocating a trade for Joe Staley or Duane Brown with Bolles going to RT, but to be honest he's been an above average LT and it may actually stunt his growth to do that. I'd rather go out and get a proper RT.

23 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I thought about advocating a trade for Joe Staley or Duane Brown with Bolles going to RT, but to be honest he's been an above average LT and it may actually stunt his growth to do that. I'd rather go out and get a proper RT.

You don't move him now, of course not.

My post is just about hindsight. Whitworth/Bolles would have been a great pair of OT's.

Archived