Sign in to follow this  
lomaxgrUK

Broncos Film Review - 2020 Season

Posted (edited)

Well, @lomaxgrUK you've answered a bunch of my questions. Trying to watch OL play from a sideline camera is almost ridiculous. 

My take on the IOL changed a bit with your observations. Seems like Williams was just the better player, it happens. Risner will never be a "nelson" but he got beat, one on ones .pretty badly. Whats your take on how much of that was due to communication issues between he and Cush? From my vantage point it seems they're having some "A" gap issues between them, not something that can't be corrected.

Liked your take on Dotson. We kept him covered a lot but he seems pretty solid on the basics. 

Also, a few weeks ago you mentioned you weren't quite sold yet on Bolles. Has that changed any?

Once again bud, great stuff. Oh yeah, while watching the tape I focused on Jewell on defensive snaps. First time I've done that and I've got to agree with you. I've heard a lot of negative so thought I'd look and watched him every play. I came away pretty impressed. He looks to me like a damned good short zone coverage guy. My only knock on him wouldn't be in the passing game. He seems to get swallowed up a bit on interior runs. Not dreadfully so but he's no Tommy Nobis.

Edited by AKRNA

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Well, @lomaxgrUK you've answered a bunch of my questions. Trying to watch OL play from a sideline camera is almost ridiculous. 

My take on the IOL changed a bit with your observations. Seems like Williams was just the better player, it happens. Risner will never be a "nelson" but he got beat, one on ones .pretty badly. Whats your take on how much of that was due to communication issues between he and Cush? From my vantage point it seems they're having some "A" gap issues between them, not something that can't be corrected.

Liked your take on Dotson. We kept him covered a lot but he seems pretty solid on the basics. 

Also, a few weeks ago you mentioned you weren't quite sold yet on Bolles. Has that changed any?

Once again bud, great stuff. Oh yeah, while watching the tape I focused on Jewell on defensive snaps. First time I've done that and I've got to agree with you. I've heard a lot of negative so thought I'd look and watched him every play. I came away pretty impressed. He looks to me like a damned good short zone coverage guy. My only knock on him wouldn't be in the passing game. He seems to get swallowed up a bit on interior runs. Not dreadfully so but he's no Tommy Nobis.

Re: Risner and Cushenberry - I think it's more just a natural chemistry thing rather than communication. You know OL play really well; chemistry is everything inside. I.e if the DT moves from 0 technique to 1 technique at the snap, both of them know it's now "me" taking the inside shoulder, and "you" taking the outside. Or, it's now me going to the 2nd level rather than you. It just takes time, and Cushenberry is likely making mental mistakes because he's having to focus so much on his individual battles which he's losing, especially in pass pro.

What I would say about Risner/Cushenberry - they've had a ROUGH schedule thus far. Jeffery Simmons, Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Vita Vea, Quinnen Williams - that's some serious talent there.

Re: Bolles - my opinion couldn't have changed any more. I am going to do a quarter of the season grading when I am done with this game and here's a spoiler - Garrett Bolles has been our best player this  year and it's not even close. Unbelievable transformation. I would say that technically, his opposition hasn't been top level but he shut down Landry (1st round pick), Dupree (1st round pick) and JPP (1st round pick, all pro) - not scrubs by any means. Besides - Garrett's problems were mental a lot of the time which wasn't impacted by the level of opposition. He's really fixed that and he's been brilliant (both in pass pro and the run game).

Re: Jewell - again, this is a bit of a hot take; I think he's been one of our best players too. He's got a nose for the football inside and he's been good in space too. We ask a lot of him in space because we send Alexander Johnson on more 3rd down blitz than any other ILB in the league. That puts a lot of pressure on Jewell in space and he's done a good job.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

Josey has looked like the player he had the potential to be coming out of Iowa. He’s not fast but he does have the instincts and short area quickness to be a good zone defender. 

To my eyes, the defense as a whole was pretty tentative last year and several players are starting to play faster and looser with more familiarity in the scheme, Jewell being most noticeable. That isn’t surprising. Fangio’s scheme is pretty mentally taxing, and was also a major adjustment from what players were doing before with Wade and VJ. I would have liked to see how this defense incorporated a sub-package coverage LB, which was the plan for Strnad before the wrist injury.

One thing I can’t imagine is Vic being able to send AJ or Josey that many times consistently. Vic’s defense is built around having the numbers in coverage to rally and tackle or make plays on the ball. The dam is going to break at some point with some of those middle zones opening up. It worked against the Jets, but they’re truly awful.

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Re: Risner and Cushenberry - I think it's more just a natural chemistry thing rather than communication. You know OL play really well; chemistry is everything inside.

Chemistry! Thats the word I was looking for. The best my head could come up with was communication.

Like I said, trying to watch IOL play from a sideline camera is absurd. Rookie center new RG and a brand new OC isn't really a formula for instant cohesion, especially when you take away preseason. I'd guess our OL play should improve by leaps after the bye. This was our cleanest Ol game to date it seems, not so much confusion. 

It takes a while. 

1st Quarter Notes

- Drove down to the 30 yard line, and Jeudy turns his man inside out. Shame the play is designed the other way, and lock takes the 1v1 shot to Albert. You can see the route here:

You can also see in the clip above a new wrinkle to our PA game. It's a staple of the Brady Offense, whereby the Guard actually pulls on Play Action to really sell the run fake. What is strange, however, is that you normally run a crosser/slant behind the LBs on a playcall like this, to take advantage of LBs biting. Rob Gronkowski is going to the HOF because of this play ...
You can see both Nickel LBs of the Patriots bite on the fake. However, there isn't a route behind them to take advantage. Perhaps the idea is to get a Safety in a two deep shell to bite? The Pats are in Cover 1 so the PA has little impact on the play really. Nice athleticism by Glasgow to get over there on the trap, though
- On 3rd and 7 the Patriots are in sticks coverage, meaning all of their DBs are just protecting the sticks. There is zero respect to us going beyond the sticks. We go deep to Jeudy and it's a great ball, but Jeudy can't track it. Pats send 6, and all are picked up

- Great play design by the Patriots on 3rd and 2. They motion the back out wide, then bring him back in motion across the formation to the strong side, fake the run to him and then Cam keeps it on a designed run to the weak side. The motion gets both Johnson and Jewell going to the wrong side of the play
- Patriots have already single blocked Malik Reed in the run game with a TE. Clearly spotted something on film, there
- I mentioned our Safeties in the run game in the gamethread. Simmons just made a TFL on 2nd and 2. Aggressive read and trusted his instinct
- I thought the Harris deflection for the INT was a designed HB flare with OL pulling out, hence the quick pressure, but it's not - Harris just wins straight off the LOS with a club over to force the throw

- Man, look at Bolles on the 2nd level. The LOS was the 35 and Bolles is out here pancaking his LB at the 25 ... Phil makes his 2nd bad read of the game on this play by not cutting up inside earlier. If Dotson had managed to turn his hips to seal, I think Phil would've seen the lane

1.jpg

- Bolles drives his guy to the floor on the next play too, this time a DE. Wow.
- 3rd and 3, Patriots run the exact same sticks coverage. DBs stop at the marker, since their hips, daring our routes to be beyond the sticks. Single high safety. The play design sees Jeudy come across the formation into the slot, with 2 receivers outside of him. It's a typical NFL man coverage beater, whereby you are attempting the 'natural pick' of Jeudy's guy getting caught in traffic. As you would expect from a BB coached team, the DBs pass it off perfectly and we have to force a ball deep that had very little chance

- Patriots have ran around 12 plays thus far on Offense; not one with 3 WRs
- A lot of 'gap' power run concepts. FB has been in on around 80% of the snaps. Purcell is definitely playing hurt. First time Harris wins in the run game and he gives Jackson a lane to stop the play for no gain
- 3rd down and Patriots motion James White into the slot, Johnson follows him. Slant across the middle, easy money. Johnson ain't covering White from the slot I am afraid
- Another Simmons stuff at the LOS in the run game. Beats the WR (Henry) to the spot with a quick read
- Ojemudia actually fell down on the play with Chuckillo sacked Cam. Got away with one there, as Cam should've thrown with anticipation on the levels concept
- This Patriots team haven't got a chance on 3rd and 15. Chuckillo gets a genuine pressure this time, beating the RT around the edge

- Nice play design by us on 3rd and 1, and it's a similar concept to the Cam keeper I explained before. The difference is, we use Lindsay in motion to attract the LBs, but rather than Lock keep it, we hand it off to Freeman who is also in the game with Lindsay. It's Cushenberry who springs the run, as he seals off the NT
- Lindsay then goes for 10, after he makes a good read when Simon (OLB) drives to move inside to make the tackle, but loses contain. Vannett too big for Jonathan Jones (CB) on the outside 

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3