Broncos Film Review - 2020 Season

lomaxgrUK

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Thanks. I was pretty sure it was. 

Not too many coaches can do that with their LT.

Yeah Bolles has been phenomenal. I’m not an OL expert as I’ve stated many times but I do know good ones when I see them and the improvement he has made has been remarkable, his mental game has finally caught up to his considerable physical skills. Equally impressive, he’s taken on a leadership role and become a positive force in the locker room (that’s from my beat writer friend). 

• Like 4

1st quarter notes

- Risner gets beat right off the snap by Chris Jones on an inside move. We're running a stretch zone to Risner's side, and the play goes for a 2 yard loss when the LB shoots the gap vacated by Risner
- Jay Feely said in commentary the Broncos are the 30th ranked Offense on 1st down in the league, by the way
- 2 yard loss then a 5 yard false start. This young, injured Offense isn't good enough to be in 2nd and 17 against anyone
- Something to keep an eye on - Frank Clark moved over Dotson on 3rd down, when he played on the Chiefs right side on 1st and 2nd down

- Bryce Callahan who loses contain on the Hardman jet sweep
- The pass by Mahomes on the inside screen play to Kelce for 15 is ridiculous. Reed is literally right in front of Kelce and he just zings a fast ball into him and Kelce catches it from 5 yards away
- Great read by Walker on the naked bootleg. He just has to have the composure to finish the play, rather than falling over. Mahomes throws it away
- Awful tackling on the CEH TD run. 4 missed tackles, including Jackson who would've stopped for no gain
- The Chiefs opening drive featured a jet sweep, runs from under Center, runs from Shotgun, PA bootleg, QB rollout. Andy Reid plays chess

- 1st down on the next drive, and Lindsay has to help his QB here.  It's 1st and 10 in shotgun with 22 personnel (2 WR, 2 TE). Lock's 1st read is Jeudy to the left but the Chiefs LB gets good depth to take the lane away. However, Lindsay has to recognise the depth of the LBs and sit in that vacated zone. You can see below that he carries on with his route to the sideline, but if he sits then he's got an easy catch for an easy 5/6/7 yards on 1st down. Lock takes way too long to come off Jeudy (who separated on his comeback, but the throw was never there). 
Fant being open is a bit misleading - the Chiefs were in zone coverage at LB, so it took a while for Fant to come open. It sounds like a little thing this, but it isn't. 2nd and 3 vs 2nd and 10 is massive in the NFL.
Lock leaves a very good pocket, but to be fair he leaves after 3 seconds without play action so that is usually when a QB has to get a move on. There were no lanes for him to scramble

1.jpg

- Good pull by Risner and perfect seal by Vannett on the OLB to allow Lindsay to get to the outside for 6. Almost exclusively 22 personnel thus far
- This is where the growth will come for Lock. The first picture is presnap on 3rd and 4. That looks like cover zero, aka all out blitz and man coverage across the board. Spags (Chiefs DC) is capable of calling that. Look at the 2nd picture and what coverage it becomes

2.jpg

3.jpg

I've never seen this coverage before. It's like Cover 2, but the 'safeties' (who aren't actually safeties; it's their two outside CBs) are aligned super wide because of the disguise. Lock thinks its cover 0 and thus man coverage, so he looks quick to Patrick but he's stuck in a 2 man zone. Lock starts moving super quick because his head is still saying blitz, and his feet are moving 1 million MPH. 
It's a great call by Spags. That said, it looks an awful call if we have anyone with speed going up the seem, because the Chiefs have their slot CB coverage the entire middle of the field without sufficient depth. 
Again, Lock throws a little early but in truth this play was dead before it started. Another 3 and out.

- On that long ball down to Patrick (that shouldn't have been a catch), Lock is late on the throw. Patrick's man falls down and is open as soon as Lock turns around on the PA bootleg. By waiting, Lock has to drop it in behind the DB covering another receiver, and in front of Mathieu who spots the play developing. It's a very good throw, but it didn't need to be. He also has an easy dump off that would've got him 8 on 1st down (dump off to Jeremy Cox, who's at FB replacing Beck. I had no idea he was on the active roster)
- Poor job by Dotson on the same play to allow Chris Jones to penetrate to the side of the rollout. Jones was aligned away from the play, so Dotson should've been able to 'wash' Jones with the play action
- Jones then stuffs a run play after beating a Dotson/Glasgow double team. Monster
- Love the option QB keeper call on the goal line. The Chiefs DE read it all the way, just didn't make the play

- Purcell is out on the Chiefs 2nd series. Think he's done for the day. DeShawn Williams has replaced him
- Chiefs run goes for 18 when we just get outleveraged to one side. There are 4 Chief blockers against 3 Broncos. The Chiefs are in 11 personnel so our Safeties are clearly scared to come down and help
- Good pursuit by Reed on the backside of a zone run. No gain
- The long ball to Hardman has to be a miscommunication on the back end. Both Jackson and Simmons are playing a shallow zone, leaving no help deep at all. Mahomes moves out of the pocket and Ojemudia just can't run with Hardman for that long (nobody could)
- Great blitz call on that 'jump sack' by Chubb. The hot route for the 6 man blitz is the RB, and Chubb's jump cuts off that pass

- Risner pulling again on the counter run. Fant does a nice job on the crack block inside to the LB, and Glasgow gets enough of the DE for Lindsay to go by for 15
- Below is an example of what we continue to talk about with Drew. It's a PA bootleg with the usual 'hi-lo' concept. 3 routes, all at different tiers. Deep route, mid tier route, check down. You start high (deep) with your reads and work back. Drew tries to fit in the pass to Vannett on the middle tier in double  coverage. That throw isn't there. You could argue its triple coverage with the CB sinking in zone coverage. Take. The. Easy. Yards. Fant is there for an easy 3 yards, and more if he breaks a tackle. 
It's a common trait amongst young QBs, but we've seen it way too much from him. Very nearly picked off

4.jpg

- next play is a zone run right and Cushenberry can't win the stretch block to the playside of the run. Nnadi is too strong and Cushenberry ends up holding. I don't know why the play design has Glasgow going straight to the 2nd level in that scenario. Surely he should bump Nnadi, allow Cushenberry position, then Glasgow peels to the 2nd level. What should've been 2nd and 5 is now 2nd and 20
- Gordon leaving 4 yards on the field by trying to stop in the open field after a catch out of the backfield
- Then Gordon fumbles. That series was one excellent run play then 3 awful plays

- Last play of the quarter is brilliant work from Callahan vs Tyreek Hill. KC clearly fancied the shot straight after the turnover. I've seen this route so many times from Hill. The Chiefs go with 22 personnel, single set back with Mahomes under Center. They run max protect, play action with only 2 routes, 1 on each side of the field. Hill drives inwards, upfield from a 'reduced' split so it looks like a skinny post. This holds the single high safety in field, and he then curls the route back towards the corner. 
It's basically a way to take the double team away by hoping Hill can break the outside leverage of the CB. Callahan does brilliantly to understand he has help inside, so he stays outside of Hill and therefore even when Hill curls back to the corner, there is no window for Mahomes

• Like 3

What is Shurmers  offense good at normally or feature??

I know we addressed the wr position and the slot , we also addressed te and rb by bringing in Gordon.

Have to say I've been most disappointed in the run game doesn't seem to have an identity or be the bread and butter which I thought. Also doesn't feature the rb as a pass catcher as much as I thought. 

I know we addressed the wr position and the slot , we also addressed te and rb by bringing in Gordon.

Have to say I've been most disappointed in the run game doesn't seem to have an identity or be the bread and butter which I thought. Also doesn't feature the rb as a pass catcher as much as I thought. 

42 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

To piggy back off this, @lomaxgrUK Looking back through the all-22, are you seeing a good scheme from Shurmer? ie are there open receivers that Lock isn't seeing or taking prety consistently? or are things generally pretty bottled up? 

2 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

To piggy back off this, @lomaxgrUK Looking back through the all-22, are you seeing a good scheme from Shurmer? ie are there open receivers that Lock isn't seeing or taking prety consistently? or are things generally pretty bottled up? 

I read a stat how we're leading the league in length of third down and our third down percentage is terrible.ithink we have the most 3rd and 6+. I understand Lock did nothing to help his situation last week but that's a lot for any young qb.

Also I believe changing a rookies oc the next year is like a recipe for a qb to fail.

4 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Ill tell you this. Case Keenum looked a lot better when Shurmer was there and Daniel Jones looked better his rookie year than this year so far.

Its a vertical offense designed with big plays in mind. I think a lot of this is Lock not seeing the open crossers all over the field because hes locked into the hot read down the sidedline. Hes looking to the flats or sidelines in the vast majority of his throws and has seemingly forgotten about all of the open guys in the middle.

He looked really good at hitting them against the Titans, but has since fallen in love with the deep ball

Edited by AkronsWitness

12 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I know you do it all @lomaxgrUK wish you had gifs for these frames though would make it way clearer to see progressions damn technology.

I will try man. The picture uploading takes me literally 60 seconds, so if anyone knows a way of making and uploading .gifs then let me know.

Re; Shurmur's Offense - his typical philosophy incorporates a lot of 11 personnel (1, RB, 3 WR, 1 TE). We are in this 64% of the time which is about the league average. We are in 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 WR, 2 TE) 23% of the time which is 9th most in the league.

The zone running scheme is identical to Scangarello's - it's a predominant zone scheme (both inside and outside) with a bit more power scheme out of shotgun.

I think the notion of some Offense's being vertical etc is more based on personnel and your opposition Defense rather than scheme really. Every Offense and Defense in the NFL do very, very similar things. A lot of differences come down to personnel available more than anything else. 

For me, I don't think we do enough in the way of disguise. The Chiefs run so many plays that look like each other but are totally different. For example, they will have a jet motion that could be a handoff to the motion, a RB handoff, or a Play Action. It puts so much mental stress on the Defense and stops them playing quickly. The Rams are very similar in that regard.

I feel like our WR concepts out of shotgun are fairly predictable. A lot of levels concepts against zone without Play Action and without motion, and a lot sideline shots vs Cover 1. The latter I like on 1st down but with our QB and WR situation, it's not a high percentage play.

I attribute our poor general Offensive performance primarily to poor execution (30th ranked team in the league on 1st down) across the board at inopportune moments. 

I attribute our poor redzone performance to play calling/scheme, primarily the lack of disguise which means a lack of space (redzone highlights this issue).  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

For me, I don't think we do enough in the way of disguise. The Chiefs run so many plays that look like each other but are totally different. For example, they will have a jet motion that could be a handoff to the motion, a RB handoff, or a Play Action. It puts so much mental stress on the Defense and stops them playing quickly. The Rams are very similar in that regard.

I feel like our WR concepts out of shotgun are fairly predictable. A lot of levels concepts against zone without Play Action and without motion, and a lot sideline shots vs Cover 1. The latter I like on 1st down but with our QB and WR situation, it's not a high percentage play.

I attribute our poor general Offensive performance primarily to poor execution (30th ranked team in the league on 1st down) across the board at inopportune moments. 

I attribute our poor redzone performance to play calling/scheme, primarily the lack of disguise which means a lack of space (redzone highlights this issue).  

This all makes a ton of sense do we do any double moves? It's weird to me running zone with no fullback is that common? We added three te this off-season surprised it's ninth.

That bolded part is insane you figure running behind Bolles and risner would be bread and butter.

Also would be cool to have rub routes considering Fants size.

Idk Shurmur reminds me too much of Kubiak in bad dinosaur ways and I'm not surprised of minn underachieving.

2nd quarter notes

- 2nd and 10, missed protection assignment by the Chiefs. Johnson comes on an inside blitz and Fisher, for some reason, comes into block him which leaves Chubb unblocked. CEH is the hot read but he doesn't read blitz and therefore he doesn't look for the ball when Mahomes gets it out quick. Incomplete. Does that count as a pressure when PFF/etc count these? I could've created that pressure. Literally.
- 3rd and 10, great swim move by Jones to get the sack. Boy did we need it, because Hill (from the slot) blew the lid off of our Cover 7 look (man across the board, 2 deep safeties)

- KJ Hamler showing his inexperience on Punt Return. He falls inside the 5, so the Chiefs punt coverage goes towards him which is close to where the ball bounces, hence them being able to down the ball at the 1. If Hamler had faked to catch the ball further upfield, the coverage team would've been too far from the ball to down it

- On 2nd and 8 we run from a 3 TE look and get 6 good yards against a 9 man box. Nice seal by Fant on the DE (4 man front), good cut by Gordon to go backside but he then tries to bounce it when he should've cut upfield to fall forward. Would've like got the 1st down if he did

- Good call on 3rd and 2. I don't like the presnap look; shotgun, no play action, no motion. We correctly anticipate man coverage and we run a natural pick with Patrick running a slant from the X, and Jeudy runs the quick out from the slot. Jeudy is being covered by Mathieu in the slot, but Mathieu has to run around his own man to follow Jeudy and that gives us enough room to complete an easy 4 yard pass for the 1st down. Good call vs man coverage

- Below is an A-Typical 1st down shot play in the NFL. 3 TE look (identical to what we ran out of earlier), but we call play action and we only have 2 genuine routes; 1 from Fant, 1 from Jeudy. This is as easy as it gets for an NFL QB. You've got Jeudy on a skinny corner-post. The design is to hope that it's Cover 1 and Jeudy can get the CB to bite on the corner move, giving Jeudy inside leverage and get over the top of the Safety. 
From the get go, that isn't there. The CB is off coverage and can see the fake corner route from the off. Jeudy doesn't have the explosive speed to beat off man coverage deep, so it's a total non starter.
The second Lock turns around he should this. Not only does the CB have 3 yards on Jeudy, the middle safety is coming over the top. Lock's ONLY other read is Fant coming on a crosser, intentionally designed so that Fant is right underneath Jeudy and in Lock's eyeline. Pause the video below at 5 seconds. Look at the line between Lock, Fant and Jeudy. It's not far off being straight. That is entirely by design to make this easy for Drew. Fant, as can be seen clearly, is wide open because the LB's bit hard on play action (as you'd expect from a 3 TE look) and Jeudy has cleared out the Chiefs left hand side of their Defense.
It's perfect play design, perfect execution by the OL, receivers and RB - it's a total dud from Lock and an easy 1st down (on 1st down) thrown away.

- Annnnnddd then we run for 15 yards the next play, haha. Zone run going to the left, and Phil makes a great read to cut it back left. Vannett with the key block to seal off the backside. Lovely wedge formed inside as well. Chiefs interior looking a bit gassed. Patrick and Hamler blocking 20 yards downfield too
- I think someone requested the run below in the gameday thread. It's Bolles coming across the formation in shotgun for a seal in a power run. It's obviously impressive athleticism, but the run takes time so the keys are inside. Great seals inside by Glasgow, Dotson and Vannett make this run work. Good read by Phil to cut outside, but really sloppy to not get the 1st down. I know he's looking to not take unnecessary contact, but he could've got the 1st without being hit

- We go play action on 1st and 10 with 2 WR, 2 TE against a 7 man box. That has to be checked to a run. It's a really favourable look against the run and we can out flank the Defense to the left if you look below. We'd have 3 blockers against 2 Chief defenders. Instead, we go play action and the Chiefs have too many defenders back in coverage. Sack for 4 yard loss.
That said - the LBs do bite on the PA, but Hamler (aligned to the right) is on a deep pattern rather than a crosser behind the LBs, so there is no route to take advantage of LBs biting on the PA

5.jpg

- The Pick 6 to Fant is another bad decision. The Chiefs bring 6 and we don't have a hot route for that pressure. Fant is on an out route, but Sorensen is in off coverage so you can't throw hot to someone who is playing off man coverage vs an out route. He reads it the whole way. It's a bad ball from Drew but it would've been a pick regardless

- Next possession sees us run for 20 yards on 1st down. HB counter with Fant coming across the formation with the counter. Risner is the key block, as he comes across the formation with Fant and seals Clark away from the play
- Another 6 yards on 1st down on the ground. Vannett is playing really well in the run game
- Much better from Drew on 1st down play action. Reads the LB coming to close him, leaving Vannett wide open for an easy dump off and 20 yards
- Below is so poor from Gordon. How has he read the cut as outside, when the defender is playing with outside leverage on the FB (Cox, #35)? I don't care what the call is - if the defender plays outside there, you HAVE to bounce that inside. There is a lovely hole there for him to for at least 5 yards. Instead it's no gain

- 3rd and 4, Lock misses Fant wide open for a big play. He can't set his feet due to inside pressure from the Chiefs LE, who slices inbetween Dotson and Vannett

- I've no idea what Cleveland and Dawson are doing on the kick return for a TD. Rather pathetic overpursue, not understand cut back lanes. Dawson especially

- Chris Jones wrecks another play as attempt a zone run to the left. He just shoves Risner back and Jones is playside to force the play outwide for just a 1 yard gain
- This is a horrific play call on 3rd and 4. It's a rollout to the right, with no play action and no motion at the snap - therefore, the Defenders simply read the QB rollout and the FB who is 'screening' for the QB. We cut the field in half with the rollout and look how many Chief defenders are in that half by the time our receivers get their heads around.
The play has no real chance without a ridiculous throw to Patrick

- Beautiful play design by the Chiefs on a 25 yard CEH run. They pull their LT and LG to the right from shotgun, then the Center cuts off defenders from the right. The Chiefs block down from the right hand side and Chuckillo, our edge contain, makes a terrible read that the play is going to his right. The RB is aligned to the left of the QB; how can the play be going to Chuckillo's right if it's a run? Still, I love the play design

- 2nd and 6, Shelby Harris tosses the Center aside to blow up a run play for a 1 yard gain
- 3rd and 5 and Chubb is unblocked again with a Chiefs protection mishap. Looks like they thought  Duke Dawson was coming on a blitz inside, which would've meant 6 and thus you block inside out. Mahomes tries to throw hot, but it's incomplete because of the Chubb pressure

- That Lindsay hit was scary. Surprised Sorensen got up. Two men going very quick and hit head on
- This is really poor on 1st down in our 2 minute drill by Cushenberry. It's a double team on Jones initially. Cushenberry has to understand his help is inside. Don't let Jones across your face. Instead, he lets Jones basically slide along the line and beat him outside. He has to set his right leg and force Jones to try and split the double team. Really poor

- A couple of nice, easy chunk plays with good pass pro to get us back on track and to the half way line with a minute left
- And then we give up a sack off a CB blitz. Dotson doesn't read the blitz and just blocks nobody. That said, it's a poor presnap read by Drew. You can see below that the Chiefs CB #35 is on the LOS. Look at Mathieu at the top - he's aligned directly over the top of Fant which insinuates man coverage, which it was. Drew has to make a quick read of the blitz; if he falls back, go straight to your progression. If he's blitzing, throw hot. Drew looks left instead, and doesn't feel the blitz.

6.jpg

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

- We go play action on 1st and 10 with 2 WR, 2 TE against a 7 man box. That has to be checked to a run. It's a really favourable look against the run and we can out flank the Defense to the left if you look below. We'd have 3 blockers against 2 Chief defenders. Instead, we go play action and the Chiefs have too many defenders back in coverage. Sack for 4 yard loss.
That said - the LBs do bite on the PA, but Hamler (aligned to the right) is on a deep pattern rather than a crosser behind the LBs, so there is no route to take advantage of LBs biting on the PA

5.jpg

That's a new look. Stacked TE's on the left, and our LT lined up at TE on the right.