Broncos Film Review - 2020 Season

lomaxgrUK

6 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

You noted Cush on this play but its also just a bad read by Lock. Gordon on that angle route was open for a decent gain.

I love these gifs man like I kinda felt like a dbag to ask I'm not tech savvy at all idk how hard it is but it shows everything so clearly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Re; Shurmur's Offense - his typical philosophy incorporates a lot of 11 personnel (1, RB, 3 WR, 1 TE). We are in this 64% of the time which is about the league average. We are in 12 personnel (1 RB, 2

19 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

tell you this. Case Keenum looked a lot better when Shurmer was there and Daniel Jones looked better his rookie year than this year so far.

See this is alarming to me bc Case Keenum had a lot of freaky magical plays and also was a 6 year vet. Daniel Jones was probably the most pro ready qb from a mental aspect and fundamental aspect since Luck coached by legendary qb coach  Cutcliff, mentored by the Manning's, went to Duke. 

In not saying Lock is an idiot I'm just saying maybe this offense may not be the most qb friendly for young guys. He seems too fast or too slow on reads feels like the games moving too fast for him. I get being banged up but he just hasn't looked comfortable.

He looked comfortable last year idk why Shurmer doesn't adapt and mix some of that in like a frank Reich with foles in Philly I'm just baffled. 

I know that Mcvay, Shannahan, Cleveland coach offense, Rich offense gets the most out of QBs and is qb friendly I've seen enough sample size to know that.

The next 10 games are so critical I've seen players develop the last two years on defense. I saw players developing the last year on offense. And since week one Tim Patrick and Garrett Bolles are the only ones who have shown growth or he significantly better than last year. That's a huge problem because if you can't develop players on offense you're in purgatory with Vic. But... If you rip the hand off and change three coaching staffs in three years with OC minimum that may stunt growth even further.

I'm just super alarmed at this offense I mean look at teams having scoring up due to covid it's happening most places but here scary.

Heck just look at week one against the titans we score 16. 

Houston 40+

Jags 30+

pitt 28

Vikings 31

Three of these teams are terrible and still put up 30 plus and there's us in the stone age it seems of offense.

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

See this is alarming to me bc Case Keenum had a lot of freaky magical plays and also was a 6 year vet. Daniel Jones was probably the most pro ready qb from a mental aspect and fundamental aspect since Luck coached by legendary qb coach  Cutcliff, mentored by the Manning's, went to Duke. 

In not saying Lock is an idiot I'm just saying maybe this offense may not be the most qb friendly for young guys. He seems too fast or too slow on reads feels like the games moving too fast for him. I get being banged up but he just hasn't looked comfortable.

He looked comfortable last year idk why Shurmer doesn't adapt and mix some of that in like a frank Reich with foles in Philly I'm just baffled. 

I know that Mcvay, Shannahan, Cleveland coach offense, Rich offense gets the most out of QBs and is qb friendly I've seen enough sample size to know that.

The next 10 games are so critical I've seen players develop the last two years on defense. I saw players developing the last year on offense. And since week one Tim Patrick and Garrett Bolles are the only ones who have shown growth or he significantly better than last year. That's a huge problem because if you can't develop players on offense you're in purgatory with Vic. But... If you rip the hand off and change three coaching staffs in three years with OC minimum that may stunt growth even further.

I disagree with this.  Shurmur is a good OC.  Not saying I agree with everything, but you can literally look at all of these gifs and see Lock is not finding the open targets or bailing on clean pockets.  All he did vs the Chiefs was look for his 1st option and if it wasn’t there try and play backyard football.  That’s not a recipe for success. 

You can listen to interviews from Lock and it’s pretty clear that all he’s doing is looking  for the biggest play on every snap.  I like that he isn’t afraid to push the ball downfield, you have to do that in this league at some point, but you also have to make the smart plays too.  As I’ve said a few times now, I hope that Chiefs game was a humbling experience because Drew Lock pretty much single handily prevented Denver from being competitive in that game.  To an extent he’s been lucky having a 5-3 record and winning games with his below average QB play (the only quality game he’s put together is last year vs Houston) and I think it sky rocketed his confidence to a point where he thought he could go out and do whatever he wanted.

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 2

Drew Lock has shown plenty of flashes to make one think he’s the future at QB.  

But just so people are aware.....these are Locks statistics through his 9 game career.

1700 yards, 8 TDs, 7 INTS, and a 60% completion percentage....I still think he’s going to figure out, but that’s just to give some perspective to the fact that he hasn’t been even close to good.

Edited by germ-x

5 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

You noted Cush on this play but its also just a bad read by Lock. Gordon on that angle route was open for a decent gain.

He should mention Cush. That's about as terrible as you can possibly play that. He's got the simple task of working with Risner to keep the A gap closed on the left and overplays it so badly he gives up the A gap on the right.

That's truly awful center play, especially since we're 6 weeks in. 

50 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

He should mention Cush. That's about as terrible as you can possibly play that. He's got the simple task of working with Risner to keep the A gap closed on the left and overplays it so badly he gives up the A gap on the right.

That's truly awful center play, especially since we're 6 weeks in. 

Again for some context.  Cushenberry was terrible in pass pro at LSU.  Very good run blocker in college.  Meets all the physical metrics and has outstanding character.  Literally checks every box but pass pro where even college against weaker competition he could be a liability. 

In general, Cushenberry has been fine with the mental side of the game. That's why that rep was so disappointing; he is clearly so keen to prevent Jones using his speed to split the double team, that he oversteps massively to his left.

Jones just simply uses the momentum from Risner shoving him to keep flowing down the line, when Cush should've been there to stop that flow.

• Like 1

3rd quarter notes (and first play of the 4th)

- 1st and 10 Chiefs and this might be Malik Reed's best play of the season. Chiefs are 2 TE, 2 WR personnel and go with a (not convincing) play action. Robinson (WR) gets Ojemudia to bite big time on a double move (out and up), but the Chiefs leave a TE 1v1 vs Reed, who is able to get such a quick pressure that Mahomes doesn't have time to throw to Robinson (who he was looking at as his 1st read).
Again, it's an interesting protection call by the Chiefs. You would think on 1st down vs a 3-4 front they would go man for man upfront (i.e your two Tackles guard the two OLBs). But, instead they double a DE inside, thus leaving a TE on our OLB. Sack for 8 yard loss.
- We go zone on 2nd and 18, and it's probably Callahan's worst play of the game. He drives on Kelce instead of sinking with Hill from the slot, thus allowing Hill to find a soft spot in the zone. It's a great job by Jackson to realise nobody is in his area, so he slides over to prevent Mahomes hitting Hill in stride. The throw is then behind Hill and falls incomplete.

- Chiefs forced to Punt. We then nearly jump offside (would've been a 1st), then Hamler fumbles the Punt and we recover. Good hustle by Bassey to get on the ball

- We try a simple run up the middle with Glasgow peeling from a double team with Dotson to the next level. Play is stopped at the LOS because Cush just can't move the NT (Nnadi, who is a bigggg man)
- Shanahan staple on 2nd down. PA bootleg, with a crosser coming from the non-playside and a delayed crosser coming from the playside. Easy pitch and catch to Patrick who fits in behind the biting LBs. Good tempo too, as we snap the ball really quickly after getting set
- We then go play action to RB and toss it to a reversing WR (Hamler). I tell you what guys - Albert O can block you know. I don't know what PFF have said about his blocking, but he's a two way player for sure with that size and attitude. I would love to see us go 3 TE near the goal line; get the opposition in a really heavy personnel and go play action to a TE
- That flea flicker ... I can't even bring myself to record that. Go find it on youtube. There's absolutely nothing there downfield even if Drew gets it from Gordon. This comes back to what I was talking about earlier - we don't disguise runs with receivers running downfield, so when the Chiefs safeties see our WRs pelting it downfield, they ain't going to bite on a flea flicker. They know it's a pass, and both of them stay at home. 
The Chiefs will run out of that look, so then when they do try a flea flicker or other misdirection, it actually works

- Chiefs have Bell and CEH on the field for 1st down. Both motion out wide (one on each side), empty backfield. It's so smart from Andy Reid. He knows our CBs DON'T move with WRs. That means, if you motion out a RB to the boundary, it takes the CB with him and thus leaves your WR in the slot vs either a Safety or a LB. Look at the play below.
Firstly, Bouye does an incredible job of communicating to Jewell (in man coverage), to go all the way out to CEH, so that Jewell isn't in the tight slot vs Kelce, or slot vs Robinson.
Look at the left side of the Chiefs formation. Ojemudia stays on the boundary and it's Jackson who takes Hill in the slot. That's a mismatch and Mahomes goes straight to that as his first read.
It's the communication between Jackson and Justin Simmons that saves a TD here. Jackson doesn't have an ego - he knows he needs Simmons help on his inside, so Jackson plays with outside technique and Simmons comes over instantly to help inside. Excellent communication by our secondary, here.
I know it looks like a poor pass rush here, but's it's not. You have to keep Mahomes in the pocket down in the redzone. That is why Chubb and Reed don't go past the pocket. Reed does a good job of reducing the pocket. It's DeShawn Williams (DT) who doesn't even move off the LOS on the double team.

- Remember the run play from CEH I put on in the last post, where they pull the LT and LG for 25 yards? Watch how much better we play it this time. I called out Chuckillo for getting washed; Reed plays it MUCH better by taking on the Guard. That forces CEH to bump it outside a tad, which buys time for Johnson to come over and make the play. Excellent angle by Bouye who is contain. He knows he isn't going to beat the LT pulling to make a play, but he plays outside leverage to force CEH back inside towards Bouye's help defenders. Much, much better.

- 3rd down and we bracket Hill from the slot. Jackson aligned right over Hill, behind Callahan. Didn't even try hiding the double team. It's still Mahomes' 1st read. Malik Reed has a poor pass rush, as he goes way too deep and allows Mahomes to scramble out of the pocket to his right. CEH then drops a laser from Mahomes in the endzone

- I definitely feel Glasgow is improving game by game, snap by snap. Chemistry with Dotson seems far better than it was with Wilkinson. Run goes for 6 yards and a 1st down after Dotson peels from his double team with Glasgow to get to the 2nd level
- Daniel Sorensen, Chiefs Safety, is a really good football player. So technically sound. Look at the smooth back pedal and efficient hip movement below to stay on top of Patrick. It looks like Fant is  the #1 read and with the Chiefs in Cover 4, it's the correct read by Lock to go to Gordon. It's a bad throw though, and what should be 2nd and 6 is 2nd and 10

- Both Dotson and Albert O over pursue on the zone run to the left, allow both Chief defenders to simply go against the flow and stop the cutback for 2 yard gain. Tershawn Wharton, a UDFA DE for the Chiefs makes the play. That guy looks stacked at 6ft 5 and 290lbs. Uh oh.
- 3rd and 8 route is a thing of beauty from Jeudy. There's just no wasted foot movement. His squeezes the CB cushion, takes a little jab step to the left to separate a tad, then bangs his foot in the ground to create more separation on the out route. It's short of the sticks, but the separation allows him to get the YAC for the 1st and then some.
Notice how the slot CB (Fenton) is still playing inside after Jeudy's initial move outside; that is the respect Fenton has for Jeudy's inside move, which makes a much easier throw over the middle than an out route. 
Pass pro holds up well; nice shove by Dotson as Clark tries to get side on and dive into the backfield

- Garrett Bolles has been flawless in this game. I've never seen a transformation like this before. Guides Clark 5 yards beyond Lock in the pocket on 1st and 15
- Chiefs get away with an obvious hold on 3rd and 5. Look below at Hamler being held by the CB 9 yards downfield (he's the guy at the Chiefs 36 yard line). He's about to break open to the boundary and he's Lock's #1 read. Shame. 
I know below looks like Gordon is open underneath, but Sorensen is quicker than Gordon and the (inaccurate, high) throw actually goes incomplete to Gordon, who had no separation anyway. Still, it's poor footwork from Lock who fades back when he has room to step into the throw

7.jpg

- We go for it on 4th down. Again, I am sorry, but it's poor from Drew. Why is he taking a 4 step drop from shotgun on this play? Just stand, plant and deliver to Hamler as soon as possible so he can run away from Ward. Look at the traffic Ward has to get through to get over there. Sure, it's good hustle from Ward and a better play from Breeland to fight off the Patrick block, but neither of them get there in time if Hamler gets the ball on time from Lock. That split second that Hamler has to slow down to get the ball costs us the conversion on 4th down.

- Big hole for Bell to go for 20 yards on the next play. DeShawn Williams, filling in for Purcell at NT, over pursues his gap on the zone run play, giving a huge cutback hole. The RG went straight to the 2nd level, cutting off Jewell as the weakside ILB
- Below is another example of Andy Reid playing chess, whilst we play checkers. Just look at the misdirection everywhere. WR comes in motion to the strongside, it's play action to the same side as the motion, the OL block to the left to go with the play action, and then the TE sneaks under the formation against the grain and it's an easy 15 yards. Flawless execution.
Jewell actually reads it all the way other than a TINY hesitation on the play action. That's all it takes for an athlete like Kelce to get 15 yards rather than 3. 
What SHOULD happen here is that Reed should smack the absolute s**t out of Kelce. If it's a run play, you've contained. If it's a pass, you've taken the only viable option out of the play.

- DeMarcus Walker only tends to come in when we go to our Nickel as a DE. Not played much base 3-4. He's had some good snaps in the run game
- Chiefs WRs block as well as run fast. I know this is turning into a Chiefs love fest ...
- Our chemistry in the secondary is maybe the best takeaway from this game. Look at the bottom of clip below. You've got Hill in the slot vs Callahan on an out route, then Robinson coming under him on a slant (or maybe a hook)/ Callahan plays outside because he knows he has Jackson inside. Jackson drives on the slant because he knows Hill has gone outside and Callahan has outside leverage. Hill can't out run Callahan to the boundary, so he's not open for the (rushed) Mahomes throw. Ojemudia reads the slant quickly so he can get underneath the traffic and that throw isn't there. Perfect stuff.
T/T stunt inside from Harris and Jones gives a quick Jones pressure (he's really quick through the hole) and Chubb beats his man too by taking a great angle to keep Mahomes in the pocket.

- I am really not picking on Drew; I am just calling what I see. Here, his 1st read to Patrick on the go route is there if he leads Patrick, because Patrick wins so early against Ward. The more worrying bit is that Fant, coming on the crosser, is his 2nd read and for some reason he doesn't pull the trigger despite him being open for an easy 5 yards.

- Glasgow with another great block on the following play. Goes for a 1st
- Boot leg and Drew takes the easy 6 yards to Albert O. Good stuff
- Cushenberry hasn't moved Nnadi 1v1 in the run game throughout this contest. Stuff the run at the LOS when Sorensen also beats the Patrick block
- The INT to Hamler might be Drew's worst throw as a Bronco. Just look at the green grass Hamler has, man. #92 kind of gets in the passing lane, but just float it. There is literally nobody who can stop that pass if you float it. Hamler has whooped Mathieu off the lane, and Mathieu ain't running with Hamler after a free release. What should have been a 20 yard play with a chance of being a score becomes an INT. You just can't sugar coat it. I put 0.1% of the blame on Hamler, who perhaps could have caught it, but that's a really tough catch - behind and low.

• Like 3

Just to let you guys know - I did watch the 4th quarter on all-22, but in truth the notes aren't worth much when we went down 4 scores early in the 4th.

As soon as Justin Simmons missed that tackle on Tyreek Hill, I knew the note taking was going to stop.

Sure, Coaches will evaluate for effort, but I don't get much enjoyment out of watching game tape down 4 scores just looking for effort.

I would highly recommend watching these videos that were put up yesterday - https://thednvr.com/the-turning-point-how-drew-locks-progression-pattern-is-hurting-him-and-how-he-can-fix-it/

McChesney touches on a couple of plays I did, with a bit more info.

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Just to let you guys know - I did watch the 4th quarter on all-22, but in truth the notes aren't worth much when we went down 4 scores early in the 4th.

As soon as Justin Simmons missed that tackle on Tyreek Hill, I knew the note taking was going to stop.

Sure, Coaches will evaluate for effort, but I don't get much enjoyment out of watching game tape down 4 scores just looking for effort.

I would highly recommend watching these videos that were put up yesterday - https://thednvr.com/the-turning-point-how-drew-locks-progression-pattern-is-hurting-him-and-how-he-can-fix-it/

McChesney touches on a couple of plays I did, with a bit more info.

I don't blame ya. I quit watching game film after the third also. 1st time I've done that for a while. 

• Like 1