5up, 5 down

Kiwibrown

1. Chris hubbard played well, last year he was terrible. He has taken to coaching st least, with him out there I thought he could screw up the game.

2. Stephanski getting his first win. It was an awesome game plan, it was executed and we seemed organized. I didn't like going for it on 4th down on the goal line, I'd prefer to take the points. 

3. Chubb and Hunt were unreal over 200 yards between them. Chubb had 5.7 ypc with 4 less than 1 yarders on the goalie. 

4. OBJ played nearly as good as he should of that cheque. 

5. Porter Gustin, made some big plays and knocked Burrow to next week. 

Hm 

Baker

Down

1. Leaked too many yards. Cant cover a tight end.

2. Needed to target hoop and bryant more.

3. The int to Jackson was pretty poor.

4. We missed some tackles.

5. Unless we get better we will get kr taken to the house.

• Like 1

Up

1. Nick and Kareem, especially in the 4th quarter

2. Baker, don’t care about the INT.

3. Kevin Stefanski was phenomenal calling plays.

4. Porter Gustin is built like a tank and I’m really excited about him.

5. Decrease in penalties. I do think the NFL caught a LOT of heat last year for the insane amount of penalties called last year.

Down

1. The defense as a whole. Especially the secondary. Only Denzel Ward showed up for the secondary. 

2. Rashard Higgins, I think he’s done in Cleveland. He’s not even getting snaps now. Hodge has replaced him.

3. Kickoffs, this needs fixed before it really bites us in the butt.

4. Myles Garrett, I’m not sure if it’s his conditioning or what, but he looks exhausted in these games.

5. Andrew Sendejo. He’s not a NFL caliber player.

• Like 1

Up.

1. Kevin Stefanski: I thought he coached a superb game.  Focused on the run, used play action, was aggressive but not stupid.  That was the offense we should be running and the best play calling we’ve seen since 2018.

2. Baker: This was also the first game since 2018 where it looked like they were actually trying to focus on what the QB does well and give him easy throws and Baker absolutely delivered.  That last pick was inexcusable and really an “awful pick” (not all picks are the same, some aren’t even bad), but that was really his only miscue.

3.The backs:  This is obvious enough, but the idea of saving Kareem as a “closer” was interesting.  I don’t know that I’d do it personally as I think he’s far too impactful to limit touches, but it seemed to work.  He was fresh and destroying that defense in the 4th.  Chubb was a monster, as usual.

4. Denzel:  This is especially impressive as he has zero help on the back end, but he was great.

5. Reserve linemen: Both offensively and defensively we showed some depth.  Hubbard stepped in and looked solid, Clayborn had another sack in a spot start, Gustin stepped up and looked solid and Jackson even contributed as a 5th end.  

*Bonus for a win*

6. Wills and Conklin: both were hurt, Wills touched it out and Conklin at least dressed and made himself available in a pinch.  We need guys like this.

Down.

1. Sendejo:  I hate crapping on the guy as I think even he knows he’s not a starter, but damn he’s bad.  Not much more to say, AB really needs to look into spending some money and signing someone.  @sdrawkcab321 is right on this one, there are way too many guys who are significantly better who are unsigned.  Or at least play the youngsters.

2. Penalties/dumb plays: If not for penalties, that game isn’t even close.  Things like holding and PI are gonna happen, but there were some exceptionally dumb instances yesterday. Kicking out of bounds can’t happen.  Following it up with Sendejo leading with the head, can’t happen.  Larry jumping offsides when everyone knew they were trying to get them to jump can’t happen.  Baker forcing that throw can’t happen.  For decades we’ve been a “dumb” team.  At some point this ish needs to stop.

3. Defensive injuries: I get injuries happen, but good lord we’re missing 5-6 defensive starters (nickel corner could be considered a starter).  With this long week we really need some guys to get healthy.  

4. Higgins: I’m not sure what we’re doing here. I’ve never seen him cover kicks (maybe he does?), he’s not a returner and he gets zero run on offense. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Up

1. Nick and Kareem, especially in the 4th quarter

2. Baker, don’t care about the INT.

3. Kevin Stefanski was phenomenal calling plays.

4. Porter Gustin is built like a tank and I’m really excited about him.

5. Decrease in penalties. I do think the NFL caught a LOT of heat last year for the insane amount of penalties called last year.

Down

1. The defense as a whole. Especially the secondary. Only Denzel Ward showed up for the secondary. 

2. Rashard Higgins, I think he’s done in Cleveland. He’s not even getting snaps now. Hodge has replaced him.

3. Kickoffs, this needs fixed before it really bites us in the butt.

4. Myles Garrett, I’m not sure if it’s his conditioning or what, but he looks exhausted in these games.

5. Andrew Sendejo. He’s not a NFL caliber player.

I agree he hasn’t popped like we’re used to, but he did have a sack/forced fumble that gave us the ball on the 1.

UP:

1. Baker: He played a terrible defense, but that can't be held against him. He looked absolutely superb, short of one bad read/not seeing the safety rolling over.

2. The OL: We are two weeks in and they've done great in both run and pass blocking

3. Chubb/Hunt: They played outstanding football

4. The DL: They look the part as a unit. If Richardson plays like this all season, we HAVE to keep him in 2021, and we need to pony up some dough for Larry O too. Myles needs to be more consistent, but he showed flashes

5. Stefanski's playcalling and scheme: The rollouts, playaction, running game, and the fact that he has the stones to go for it on 4th Down without hesitation makes me super happy and encouraged

DOWN:

1. Sendejo: He's awful

2. Penalties: We can get away with it vs. Cinci, but Baltimore proved that we can't.

3. The LB corps and secondary, minus Ward: Nothing short of awful yet again

4. Kickoffs: We haven't been able to cover kicks or find a kicker to boom it out of the endzone in 20 years. How's this possible?

• Like 1

I can individualize everything but the thing I was happiest about was seeing Kevin Stefanski and the offense work so in tandem. Tremendous balance and playcalling, the running backs were used exactly as they should be, and our quarterback was used appropriately also. Nick Chubb is so fun to watch. I remember a time when he was averaging three carries a game and going for a hundo under Hueball. Dude just puts his nose down and produces. He’s been my favorite player since he arrived.

• Like 1

Most of mine have already been said.

UP:

Kudos to Sheldon Richardson he had a game like Ogunjobi did last week, made his presence felt early.

Down:

We couldn't have had our way on offense much more than we did. Yeah the Baker pick hurt as far as the final score, I get that it would have sealed the game and he wanted that but we were probably scoring without a big pass play anyway. He definitely needs to find defenders coming out of their zone or off of their man in support. Anyway, my point is that we had our way on offense against a team with a poor offensive line and a rookie QB and it was somewhat of a game for the majority of the night. Still just one game (or 2) but I don't know if we will be able to stop anyone this year. We are going to have to be very experimental to find something that works better, unless getting guys healthy does that.

• Like 1

If this is going to be an on going thing, which might be a good thing, we should properly name them Wk2: 5 Up 5 Down.

Just so they dont get confused with other threads since LGBs thread after wk1 was named the same thing

Downs

• 1 Kickoff coverage is awful! Did we resign Tabor or something? We are complaining about out defense sucking, so we sure as hell cant allow the offense to start in a better position to score.
    • Vs Cincy,
      • 1st KO- 42yards on return
      • 2nd KO- TB
      • 3rd KO -45yards on return
      • 4th KO - TB
      • 5th KO- OOB
      • 6th KO- TB
    • Vs Baltimore
      • 1st KO- 38yards on return
      • 2nd KO- 26yard on return plus 15 for face mask, so 41yards 
  • 2 Safety play. It has been absolutely awful and I dont see it getting any better unless a move is bad.
  • 3 LB play. It has been about as bad as the safety play. Hopefully Mack comes back soon and he evaluates from absolute garbage to just bad.
  • 4 Tackling. The garbage safeties and LBs are the biggest culprits of this but we have seen everyone on KO and other members of the defense missing too many tackles\
  • 5 Injuries. Yes I know everyone is dealing with them and cincy had their fair share but it would be nice to see what this would look like if it had Delpit who would be a huge improvement over our current starts. Same thing with Mack, Mack isnt this sure stud but he would be better than what is out there.

Ups

• 1 Improvement and Development. Might just be a product of playing the Ravens and than Cincy but this team looked improved, looked coaches up, and looked like they developed from week to week. Which shouldnt be a surprise, since their wasnt any preseason games. The drop off in opposing talent doesnt bother me because last year when we got rocked by the titans and than came back and beat the Jets, we didnt look good at all against the jets, as a team. The more talented players played well but the overall team didnt look good. Vs Cincy, the offense and the scheme looked smooth. Like the Browns could have done anything they wanted with in Stef's system. The cincy game had better post game results than the Jets game. 
  • 2 CHUNT!!!  The Browns 1-2 combo looked amazing! 
  • 3 TE play. Hooper and Bryant have looked very well. They are not killing it in the passing game, just catching the ball when its throw their way but they are blocking their_asses off. Hooper was known to be a very willing blocker but Atlanta just didnt ask him to do it. So I am not surprised by him but Bryant has been huge in the run game. Dude made some really nice plays thursday night on some very good DEs.
  • 4 Porter Gustin, hopefully Thursday was his coming out party and not just a fluke game. He looked really good and he was lay the wood on Burrows.
  • 5 Wyatt Teller, he followed up a damn good game vs the ravens with another good game. It seems like Callahan has helped him to find a way to turn his raw power into functional strength on the field. He is straight mauling people and has looked a lot better in the pass game this year.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Tackling. The garbage safeties and LBs are the biggest culprits of this but we have seen everyone on KO and other members of the defense missing too many tackles\

Our defense so far has probably been as bad as, well... as anything I can remember. However I think the tackling has been a lot better than the last couple years. Much fewer leading with the shoulder tackles and trying to strip the ball tackles. They have their place, but not as your primary tackling method.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Our defense so far has probably been as bad as, well... as anything I can remember. However I think the tackling has been a lot better than the last couple years. Much fewer leading with the shoulder tackles and trying to strip the ball tackles. They have their place, but not as your primary tackling method.

I know Jake Burns has tweeted in his break downs that the defense has been bad but that the defense has been very vanilla so far. He attributes that to being a brand new scheme and not a lot of time to install a lot of things. They are running a lot of the basic stuff, so that everyone can learn it, and then he can expand from there. He also said, once Woods, started to get a little creative, that is when you saw some success but the defense just isnt there yet. 

I strongly believe the team we see playing week5/6/7, is going to be the kind of team we see the rest of the year