Return of the FB

dll2000

38 minutes ago, Silver said:

Ravens have always used a fullback.

Yup. We had Le'Ron McClain, then Vonta Leach, then Kyle JuiceCheck and now Patrick Ricard. We've basically been trailblazing FB usage in the NFL.

And it only makes sense that FB usage is going to come back because as teams go extreme and go spread offenses, defenses will adjust and get smaller/faster, then you shrink back to those Wing-T principles and force those smaller players to take on blockers in the run game and they can't do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yup. We had Le'Ron McClain, then Vonta Leach, then Kyle JuiceCheck and now Patrick Ricard. We've basically been trailblazing FB usage in the NFL.

And it only makes sense that FB usage is going to come back because as teams go extreme and go spread offenses, defenses will adjust and get smaller/faster, then you shrink back to those Wing-T principles and force those smaller players to take on blockers in the run game and they can't do it.

I get excited when thinking on how many great FBs we’ve had over the years, I mean the ones you listed above were just the latest 4, before/during that era we had: Sam Gash, Alan Ricard, Ovie Mughelli, and Lorenzo Neal operating the FB position. Such beasts, the lot of them.

• Like 1

The future of the position is the H-back/full back hybrid that Kyle J plays. Need that versatility to keep the position viable, the old basher needs to go, it leads to a horrible future of head and neck injuries. 

Watching Andy Janovich, he doesnt lead with his head, he makes smart blocks as much as hard blocks.

5 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

The future of the position is the H-back/full back hybrid that Kyle J plays. Need that versatility to keep the position viable, the old basher needs to go, it leads to a horrible future of head and neck injuries. 

Watching Andy Janovich, he doesnt lead with his head, he makes smart blocks as much as hard blocks.

The H-back is a staple of the Zubiak offense. When we had Kyle J for us in 2014 we ran that scheme and it was perfect. Also helped to have Owen Daniels play that role as well, but right now you can go either route - either a true FB or a "hybrid" FB like JuiceCheck who can basically do it all.

28 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The H-back is a staple of the Zubiak offense. When we had Kyle J for us in 2014 we ran that scheme and it was perfect. Also helped to have Owen Daniels play that role as well, but right now you can go either route - either a true FB or a "hybrid" FB like JuiceCheck who can basically do it all.

Having lamar helps as a qb for a full back like that. 

On 9/18/2020 at 8:52 AM, dll2000 said:

Tricky thing will be getting FBs when CFB doesn’t hardly use them.

Maybe, but there's always plenty of undersized TE's that can play an H-back type role. 

When I look at a guy like Hunter Bryant (6'2 245 per the Lions website), I often think of him being used in a FB role. He can play TE, obviously, but he's not as physically imposing as Hockenson. I'm sure his blocking is adequate enough. Stick him in the back with Swift/Johnson/Peterson and let Hock be the TE. 

I'm not sure we'll ever see a major resurgence of the old school FB that acts more like an extra lineman, but I can definitely see the H-back type role becoming a staple of offenses. Not sure how much of a learning curve would come with a TE transitioning to FB, but I can't imagine it being too extreme.