Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

28 minutes ago, LieutenantGains said:

You can't just look at PPD in a vacuum since the league has shifted towards offense so much

I'd like to see this done for every stat that gets brought up on this website then. Dan Marino the goat. Also does this mean our rushing attack is out of this world the best ever?

Edited by M.10.E

Here are the DVOA of some notable offense's. I'm curious to see where the Ravens end up. They're at 29.0%

1. 2007 Patriots - 43.5%

2. 2018 Chiefs - 34.2%

3. 2011 Packers - 33.8%

4. 2013 Broncos - 33.5%

5. 2011 Saints - 33.0%

6. 2004 Colts - 31.8%

7. 2000 Rams - 26.7%

8. 1998 Vikings - 23.6%

10 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

oRhSXnO.jpg

To follow that up this is a list of all the top offenses in the NFL for their respective seasons since 1993. The Ravens offensive scoring efficiency is currently on pace to obliterate the competition by roughly 4% points. They are also on pace to obliterate  the competition in yards/drive.

In addition they are on pace to obliterate the 1978 NE Patriots (3,165 yards) for the most rushing yards in NFL history as they are on pace for 3369 yards (204 yard differential).

yup. but it's fair to mention the pats set that record in a 14 game schedule. The did it all off the back of HoF-er Hog Hannah 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

6 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Talking about that in the Lamar Jackson thread. Seems a bit disingenuous (Mahomes is still a threat, you just have to hope his knee goes out...)

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Talking about that in the Lamar Jackson thread. Seems a bit disingenuous (Mahomes is still a threat, you just have to hope his knee goes out...)

I think the point is that year to year variance is real and everyone of these "historical" seasons have a regression to the mean. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Also does this mean our rushing attack is out of this world the best ever?

In fairness, rushing averages haven’t fluctuated as much as passing stats have. At least in the last few decades. The 70s and 80s saw average rushing YPG in the 130s and 140s but since the 90s the averages have been between ~105 and ~115 with only minor fluctuations. Same with YPA, which has been mostly around 4 YPC, with the last two seasons (4.3 and 4.4) being amongst the highest ever. 

There’s been a largely unquantifiable shift in defenses (guys getting faster, more nickel defense, etc) so there’s definitely that. And I get your point about nitpicking any stat ever posted. But while passing stats have trended upwards, rushing has been pretty level from the 90s onwards. If we’re including the 80s and back, it’s very different.

Edited by Yin-Yang