Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Leonard Fournette 

A power RB who had shown limited ability as a receiver (regardless of his role in college) at the time.

didn't like that pick then, hate it now.

i think lots of guys could've filled his role over the last few years and I think the position lends itself to a lot of guys being dinged up and needing a rotation anyways. everyones looking for the next AP, but this wasn't it.

Edited by Dome
clarification

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Whats your thoughts on QBR. Need to know before I get into a big debate with you that will go no where

QBR is a made up stat that rates things random values based on ESPNs feelings.

They literally hide the Charlie Batch game from their top game lists.

Its another tool that is useful in looking at the whole picture. I know you are a big ANY/A guy  (which is also not perfect but better)

I do like that they factor rushing into the equation but don't like that they exclude sacks.  (an individual sack is not always the QBs fault but getting sacked often is a QBs fault)

Take a look at his QBR in losses  (hard to see his QBR quarter by quarter in games like Minnesota and Chicago)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2577417/dak-prescott

You can pretend Dak was not bad in crucial spots all you want (and sure, there were drops a-plenty) but no one (and I include Cowboys fans) will listen to you (let alone believe you)

• I could pretend that Wentz's 2018 numbers were great but he was actually bad in crucial spots, hence the 5-6 record.
    • I don't want my QB to have a 102 rating with a losing record.
    • He was a better QB at a 93.2 rating this year.

I was very glad that Dak's QBR, passer rating, ANY/A, completion%, PFF rating, and Iowa polling was worse than Wentz in their head to head that decided the division.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

QBR is a made up stat that rates things random values based on ESPNs feelings.

They literally hide the Charlie Batch game from their top game lists.

Its another tool that is useful in looking at the whole picture. I know you are a big ANY/A guy  (which is also not perfect but better)

I do like that they factor rushing into the equation but don't like that they exclude sacks.  (an individual sack is not always the QBs fault but getting sacked often is a QBs fault)

Take a look at his QBR in losses  (hard to see his QBR quarter by quarter in games like Minnesota and Chicago)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2577417/dak-prescott

You can pretend Dak was not bad in crucial spots all you want (and sure, there were drops a-plenty) but no one (and I include Cowboys fans) will listen to you (let alone believe you)

• I could pretend that Wentz's 2018 numbers were great but he was actually bad in crucial spots, hence the 5-6 record.
    • I don't want my QB to have a 102 rating with a losing record.
    • He was a better QB at a 93.2 rating this year.

I was very glad that Dak's QBR, passer rating, ANY/A, completion%, PFF rating, and Iowa polling was worse than Wentz in their head to head that decided the division.

Dak was terrible that game. 

My point about QBR was they attempt to measure performance relative to impact. So they discount garbage time stats. Dak was top 10 in QBR. 

You are right, I think ANY/A is the most important stat. Dak was top 10 in ANY/A.

The #1 most highly correlated stat to winning is ANY/A. The #2 most highly correlated stat to winning is actually QBR (most people dont know this).

But there is a catch. Its ANY/A (QBR) *OVER YOUR OPPONENTS*. Doesnt matter if you put up a 10 ANY/A if your opponent had a 15. You keep trying to pin everything on Dak, but our defense was pretty terrible in advanced stats. Im not sure what they ended up, but at one point we were like 24th (in ANY/A). Additionally we had the worst special teams in the NFL. And finally an outdated HC who did things like take the ball out of Daks hand when he was murdering the Vikings because he was obsessed with forcing the ball to Zeke. Not to mention league leading both drops and INTs that touched WRs hands.

And again, Dak is not blameless. The Eagles game and the Packers games specifically he was terrible. Im just saying that attempting to blame the 8-8 on Dak is crazy. There were a lot of reason, Dak is just one of them. But I can guarantee you, most Cowboys fans will tell you Dak is the least of our concerns. 

Also "Cowboys lose when Dak plays bad" is very contradictory to your normal agenda. Even though its absolutely correct. I guess you are finally coming around to my point about Dak/Zeke and who really leads to winning. :D

PS: QBR is the measurement of what the QBs play should likely win the game. So a 70 QBR on the season means Daks play was good enough for an 11 win season by himself. Obviously doesnt translate directly because there are ~60 other players and coaches that have an impact. 

Edited by Matts4313

The Texans have 1 pick in the top 100 players in the 2020 NFL Draft

The Titans have 3: 

• 29, 61, 93

The Jags have 4:

• 9, 20, 42, 73

The Colts have 4:

• 13, 34, 44, 75

It gets worse next year with no 1st or 2nd round pick.

The Age of the B O B has begun

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Oof.

I pointed this out last year about Zeke. The only saving grace about his contract is even though it was "the biggest" when you broke it down he was really 4th paid.

The Gurley and Johnson contracts look horrific. And I dont think Bell is doing anything to get the Jets closer to the superbowl. 

Just a bad idea to pay these guys. Good luck Titans. Henry allegedly wants more than Zeke. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

The Gurley and Johnson contracts look horrific. And I dont think Bell is doing anything to get the Jets closer to the superbowl. 

The Freeman and Fournette deals look just as bad, but Fournette is on that 5th year option, so that number is to be expected with the 4th overall pick.

That Jerick McKinnon deal - man, you'd be just as well served by piling up around $8mm and just setting it on fire. Talk about a dud of a signing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The Freeman and Fournette deals look just as bad, but Fournette is on that 5th year option, so that number is to be expected with the 4th overall pick.

That Jerick McKinnon deal - man, you'd be just as well served by piling up around $8mm and just setting it on fire. Talk about a dud of a signing.

Reviewing the list again, Mark Ingram is pretty good value. Why did the Saints keep him @Dome? And it looks like Kamara is only $2.5m/yr (for now)

Barkley and McCaffery are the only other justifiable. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Why did the Saints keep him @Dome?

I'm assuming you mean didn't.

Rumor is that his agent wanted him to hold out for much more after the Saints offered him something slightly less than what he'd eventually get from the Ravens.

He held out. Saints signed Murray because they didn't know what Ingram would get and Ingram signed for just a bit more than the Saints first offer, an amount the Saints would've paid him had they not signed Murray already because they were thinking Ingram was getting PAID somewhere else.

1 minute ago, Dome said:

I'm assuming you mean didn't.

Rumor is that his agent wanted him to hold out for much more after the Saints offered him something slightly less than what he'd eventually get from the Ravens.

He held out. Saints signed Murray because they didn't know what Ingram would get and Ingram signed for just a bit more than the Saints first offer, an amount the Saints would've paid him had they not signed Murray already because they were thinking Ingram was getting PAID somewhere else.

Makes sense.