Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Saquan is in year two of that deal - that price tag is going to be HUGE come 5th year. 

And just like the rest of the highly paid RBs, he probably wont be worth it for whatever reason. Even though he is highly skilled.

I think CMC has a chance to break the mold simply because he is also a WR. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Barkley and McCaffery are the only other justifiable. 

My philosophy is if you're actually going to pay a RB, he better be able to run routes and be able to function as a psuedo Slot WR. I don't want to pay a guy on offense who sits on the bench in games you're losing.

31 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The Freeman and Fournette deals look just as bad, but Fournette is on that 5th year option, so that number is to be expected with the 4th overall pick.

I love Freeman as a man and as a player, but paying any RB unless they're an amazing pass catcher is stupid. Basically we wanted to keep the band together after the Super Bowl, so we gave into Freeman's demands. If I had my way, I'd have let him walk, even though I love who he is as a player.

I will defend Freeman's play, in that I don't think the Falcons horrific running game is really his fault. The Falcons run blocking is bad. Like, unworldly level of trash. Every time I've watched Falcons games from 2019, Freeman is usually making good decisions in his cuts, and where to go. The problem is that the line can't sustain running lanes at all. I blame the transition Dirk Koetter made from our previous zone-blocking run scheme (which we were really good at, and our offensive line is more built for) to the Power/Gap scheme that Koetter utilizes. This is why I'm so vocally opposed to the Falcons drafting a RB, because our running issues are systemic. A new shiny RB is also going to be trash in our current situation - nothing will really change.

So as per usual, it's Koetter's fault.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

I think CMC has a chance to break the mold simply because he is also a WR. 

It wasn't evident this season, but Saquan has that sort of skillset, too. He's maybe a half notch below McCaffrey as a target - you could line him up in the slot or out wide and get some good production out of him, IMO. 

Just now, Hukos said:

I will defend Freeman's play, in that I don't think the Falcons horrific running game is really his fault.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Freeman has been pretty injured the last few seasons, right? When was the last time he played a full 16 games, that SB year?

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Freeman has been pretty injured the last few seasons, right? When was the last time he played a full 16 games, that SB year?

Honestly, I think his 2017 campaign was better than his 2016 one even though I don't think he played all 16 games. Just in terms of decision making, cuts, power, etc. He was hurt in 2018, and then we switched away from the zone-blocking run scheme in 2019, which was his downfall. This is why I think the Falcons don't really know what they're doing... Freeman is a classic Shanny back. His decision making ability is still one of the best in the NFL, and he is still deadly in space, even in 2019. The problem is that the Falcons aren't competent enough to use that skillset at all.

We had one game in 2019 where we utilized outside zone concepts in the run game, and go figure, that was Freeman's best game of the year and he looked like his old self. I wonder why? A lot of Falcons fans right now want Coleman over Freeman, but honestly, I think if you put Freeman in San Francisco, he'd go off behind their run blocking.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 2

Did not send this last night:

Dak's QBR was amazing when he won the week 3 championship. 

• 94.4 vs NY
  • 94.2 vs DC
  • 82.2 vs Miami

He also beat up the Rams at 85.8 (a mediocre team, not a bad one to be fair)

He was terrible vs GB, Philly, NE, Buffalo, and Chicago

• 26.1 vs NE
  • 33.9 vs GB
  • 37.8 vs Philly
    • Thanks for this
  • 54.7 vs Buffalo
    • The great Josh Allen had an 82.6 QBR that day.
  • 58.7 vs Chicago
    • he was probably like 25 through 3 quarters before scoring a bunch in the 4th when it was too little too late

His QBR vs Minnesota was fine at 85.3 but it was probably like 94 through 3 quarters and like 40 in the 4th when he only scored 3 when down 8.

His 76.2 QBR vs the Saints is an indictment of QBR.  73.2 rating and 12 points is not a good game from a QB.

His 75.2 vs the Jets was just not enough when Darnold had a 70 that included a 118 rating and 2 long TDs.

• It was a noble effort but it was a loss to the mighty Jets where a TD on any one of 4 FG drives probably results in a win,.
    • Yes, Maher missed a 40 yarder but he hit a 62 yarder so they pretty much cancel out.

That's a QB earning his 8 losses in useless inflated QBR style.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

That Jerick McKinnon deal - man, you'd be just as well served by piling up around $8mm and just setting it on fire. Talk about a dud of a signing.

I crushed the 49ers for that deal. Just horrific on so many levels. 

• Like 2

Just now, SkippyX said:

They lucked out by hitting the jackpot with his replacement in Mostert.

It's actually really weird how lucky they have gotten with things like that. 

Sign McKinnon, bust, but also sign Mostert. 

Draft CJ Beathard as their young back up QB, complete bust, find Nick Mullens on the UDFA. 

Draft Joe Williams, complete bust (never played a down), find Matt Breida as a UDFA. 

Draft Ruben Foster, bust, draft Dre Greenlaw. 

Draft Witherspoon, can't get it together, find Moseley as a UDFA (not great, admittedly, but I think he's okay as a CB2 / Cb3). 

For a team that's been commended on the rebuild they have had, they have swung and missed a lot. That doesn't even count the misses like Malcolm Smith, Jon Cooper.  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Oof.

Lev Bell was probably the worst value in the entire NFL this year.

He was 214th in yards per carry at 3.2 xD

If he tore his ACL in training camp and a replacement got 3.6 yards per carry they would have been a huge upgrade.

Bilial Powell averaged 3.9 per carry on the same team.

When your running style is literally 'stand still and wait for Villanueva, Pouncey, DeCastro, Foster, and Gilbert to run over people' it really does not travel well to the Jets.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Lev Bell was probably the worst value in the entire NFL this year.

He was 214th in yards per carry at 3.2 xD

If he tore his ACL in training camp and a replacement got 3.6 yards per carry they would have been a huge upgrade.

Bilial Powell averaged 3.9 per carry on the same team.

When your running style is literally 'stand still and wait for Villanueva, Pouncey, DeCastro, Foster, and Gilbert to run over people' it really does not travel well to the Jets.

The jets are just 4 olinemen away from 4.4 ypc, dont see what the problem is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Did not send this last night:

Dak's QBR was amazing when he won the week 3 championship. 

• 94.4 vs NY
  • 94.2 vs DC
  • 82.2 vs Miami

He also beat up the Rams at 85.8 (a mediocre team, not a bad one to be fair)

He was terrible vs GB, Philly, NE, Buffalo, and Chicago

• 26.1 vs NE
  • 33.9 vs GB
  • 37.8 vs Philly
    • Thanks for this
  • 54.7 vs Buffalo
    • The great Josh Allen had an 82.6 QBR that day.
  • 58.7 vs Chicago
    • he was probably like 25 through 3 quarters before scoring a bunch in the 4th when it was too little too late

His QBR vs Minnesota was fine at 85.3 but it was probably like 94 through 3 quarters and like 40 in the 4th when he only scored 3 when down 8.

His 76.2 QBR vs the Saints is an indictment of QBR.  73.2 rating and 12 points is not a good game from a QB.

His 75.2 vs the Jets was just not enough when Darnold had a 70 that included a 118 rating and 2 long TDs.

• It was a noble effort but it was a loss to the mighty Jets where a TD on any one of 4 FG drives probably results in a win,.
    • Yes, Maher missed a 40 yarder but he hit a 62 yarder so they pretty much cancel out.

That's a QB earning his 8 losses in useless inflated QBR style.

You are misinterpreting the stat. For example, Daks nearly *flawless* last drive against the Vikings probably skyrocketed his. Or maybe you just dont know what happened that game - Zeke lost it for us. QBR isnt passer rating. Plays that help you win count for more. ITS BUILT TO COMPENSATE FOR GARBAGE TIME AND PLAYS THAT DONT MATTER.

https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/123701/how-is-total-qbr-calculated-we-explain-our-quarterback-rating

Read that. Then look at this:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/season/2019/seasontype/2/table/passing/sort/adjQBR/dir/desc

A 50 QBR is just about average. A good game is in the ~60ish range. A great game is over ~70ish. 

Dak had terrible games against the Packers and the Eagles - as I told you. The game in NE kind of slipped my mind because it was a literal monsoon. Tom Brady also had a bad game. Passing in general was impossible. 

As a comparison, Wentz had 8 games in the ~50 or less range. He lost all of them except to teams from NY. ;)

Edited by Matts4313

Here is a simple way to explain it, because I think you are trying to view it like passer rating. In the Saints game Dak had a 70 QBR. Which means Daks play gave us a 70% chance of winning. "But Dak only scored 10 points" - - the Saints only scored 12. If the Saints has scored 30, Daks QBR would have been later. 

So because the score was 12-10, Daks play still gave us a 70% chance of winning. 

Daks play in the Vikings game was superb. Based on him alone, we had an 85% chance of winning. Ask @Uncle Buck if you dont believe me. He literally drove us down to the ~10 yard line in an absolutely perfect drive. Then Zeke lost yardage 2 plays in a row. The next play was a designed pass to Zeke who was covered tightly by a LB. Zeke didnt make a play on the ball, LB did.. INT game over. 

Do you understand it better now? 

Just now, Jakuvious said:

People are going to get really tired of me posting Patrick Mahomes stats and graphics. But I'm okay with that.

EP4EOguWsAAYtVB?format=jpg&name=large

Hasnt this 3rd and 15 thing been posted a bunch of times in different charts/tweets? I feel like I have seen this 10 times.