Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

31 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That seems like a lot, and believe me, I'm all for anything that is further proof that Jared Goff is, on balance, an entirely ordinary quarterback, but...I'm curious about how this compares to the rates of dropped interceptions for all other quarterbacks? If every quarterback tends to have about that ratio of potential interceptions dropped, then it doesn't really say much about Goff.

Off the top of my head, having more potential interceptions that were dropped, than actual interceptions thrown, seems crazy. I feel like it should be more around 50%. But again, I don't know the actual statistics so I can't really say.

Okay, so I can't find 2019 numbers, but in looking at what Football Outsiders has for dropped interception numbers from 2018 and 2017, it seems that uh...20 dropped interceptions compared to 16 interceptions is...uh...I believe the official term would be, "a dong-load".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Okay, so I can't find 2019 numbers, but in looking at what Football Outsiders has for dropped interception numbers from 2018 and 2017, it seems that uh...20 dropped interceptions compared to 16 interceptions is...uh...I believe the official term would be, "a dong-load".

Yeah, Mahomes has been (justifiably) criticized for having fairly high dropped INT stats, and I don't think he has 20 dropped INTs in his career so far.

• Like 2

See new Tweets

Tweet

belly2__2__x96.jpg

Best record against teams that finish bottom 4 in the conference since 2001 1. Dak Prescott 16-0 (1.000) 2. Jared Goff 12-1 (.923) 3. Jake Plummer 22-2 (.917) 4. Peyton Manning 53-6 (.898) 5. Tony Romo 32-4 (.889) 6. Tom Brady 62-8 (.886) 7. Aaron Rodgers 40-6 (.870)

On 3/23/2020 at 8:58 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

That's cute

• A 3rd of them are drops.
  • A 3rd of them had no shot of every being caught by the D.
  • A 3rd of them were just horrific route running and lack of awareness by the receiver.

I am sure you could find a bunch of Joe Montana playoff interceptions dropped (Lewis Billups anyone?)

Show me this in context with Dak, Wentz, Jimmy G, and Rodgers.

Separate the throws between obvious dropped picks, miracle opportunities , and bad receiver play and I am all in for that.

I'd be curious if you would call the Darby play right before the hail mary in LII a dropped interception?

How about Matt Ryan's last throw in LI ?

• Like 1

i agree that talking dropped int's can get a bit silly

because if you are ceding that should be part of the calculus then you should also cede ints that were not the passer's fault shouldn't count against him, and so as skippy points out you've now got to go back and look at which ints came from bad routes and misrun routes, and you're just delving far too far in to the minutiae and semantics of every pass

you'd have to also think that all those factors... ints that are dropped, ints that weren't the passers fault, ints that came from freakish circumstances, ints that were the result of route mishaps, etc, that they all will roughly balance out as noise for every passer... you're going to have guys who have years where more get dropped, then years where less get dropped too