Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

*Greg Olsen. Big omission right there. He basically put up WR numbers for Carolina (77/1,104/7).

A top tier TE giving you WR like production might be more valuable than any WR (outside of the top 3-5 guys - Hopkins, Julio, Michael Thomas, etc). 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

*Greg Olsen. Big omission right there. He basically put up WR numbers for Carolina (77/1,104/7).

A top tier TE giving you WR like production might be more valuable than any WR (outside of the top 3-5 guys - Hopkins, Julio, Michael Thomas, etc). 

Yeah, if you look at it as Greg Olsen was his #1 receiver, Ginn his #2, Funchess his #3, and Cotchery his #4, it looks far more functional. They did an excellent job that year of using each guy correctly, too. Neither Ginn nor Cotchery were good all-around WRs, but Ginn as a deep threat and Cotchery as a slot possession guy are both very valuable.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, if you look at it as Greg Olsen was his #1 receiver, Ginn his #2, Funchess his #3, and Cotchery his #4, it looks far more functional. They did an excellent job that year of using each guy correctly, too. Neither Ginn nor Cotchery were good all-around WRs, but Ginn as a deep threat and Cotchery as a slot possession guy are both very valuable.

Mike Shula gets a lot of guff, but I always thought he did a very good job designing an offense tailored around the strengths of Cam and whoever he had to work with. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2020 at 10:23 PM, Jakuvious said:

It is still easily worse than any other MVP-winning QB supporting cast other than maybe Lamar Jackson.  Maybe 2010 Brady too since Gronk and Hernandez were rookies, but you still have Wes Welker and Deion Branch who I'd take over Ginn/Cotchery.

But yeah, Olsen was very good that year.  Ginn was solid too, he fit well with what we were doing.  You had to commit to the inside run, gave him a lot of chances to free up down the field.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 10:23 PM, Jakuvious said:

I'm sorry having Greg Olsen (who was very good, but not top tier) doesn't make up for having Ted Ginn as the top receiver. We're all lying if we say that is even average for a supporting cast. People make up the same story about Lamar's supporting cast. How Mark Andrews makes up for not having a top WR and how it doesn't matter that the WR group was bottom tier because Greg Roman knew how to use them. I think Lamar even had more to work with than Cam did in his season. Hollywood is/will be good, he was just withheld during the season. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 10:45 AM, wackywabbit said:

I'm sorry having Greg Olsen (who was very good, but not top tier) doesn't make up for having Ted Ginn as the top receiver. We're all lying if we say that is even average for a supporting cast. People make up the same story about Lamar's supporting cast. How Mark Andrews makes up for not having a top WR and how it doesn't matter that the WR group was bottom tier because Greg Roman knew how to use them. I think Lamar even had more to work with than Cam did in his season. Hollywood is/will be good, he was just withheld during the season. 

I try to avoid letting my personal agenda distort the facts  (I do think Cam is an incredibly talented baby)

To be fair to Newton, Ted Ginn has 19 TDs in 3 years with Cam(47 games) and 14 TDs in 10 years without Cam.(140 games)

• Brees only hooked up with him for 9 TDs in 3 seasons. (although they only played 30 games together)

Cam was undeniably awesome and the clear 2015 MVP. He was also dominant in the first 2 playoff games.

• About 112 passer rating, 3 TDs 1 pick and 2 rushing TDs
    • Wilson had way more passing yards in the first game because he hit Kuechly for a pick-6 and had to fight back from down 31-0 at the half.
    • No QB is throwing for a bunch of yards in the second half when his team is up 31 at halftime.

Through 18 games Cam was having one of the great seasons of all time. It was a step up from Randall's 1990 Ultimate Weapon season.

Cam was horrific in the Super Bowl and he will always have to live with that. (Like Goff, Marino, and Elway x3 before the redemption tour)

• I will always view that SB as 2 QBs taking a beating and Cam was not man enough to handle his without fumbles, fear, and foolishness.
  • His 2015 season as a whole was still incredible.

I was watching a documentary on Deion Sanders.  I saw it years ago and there was a quote he said that always stuck with me.  Just re-watched it.

"The night we won the Superbowl in San Francisco, I was the first out of the locker room, the first one home, the first one to bed.  And I said - This... it ain't what I thought it was.  Yeah, I'm not even happy."

On 3/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, ET80 said:

But even with that caveat, that's not the main omission or obfuscation of facts in that tweet.

Cam had a great year, and I have no issue with him getting MVP, but it wasn't because of what he did as a passer. He won because he had a great passing season, AS WELL as his effectiveness as a running threat. If it was only his passing numbers, coupled with an "average" QB rushing year, he wouldn't have won. But he topped his great passing season with 10 rushing touchdowns another another 600+ yards.

It's an impressive year, even when including Greg Olsen, but just saying he's a quarterback that won the MVP with a(n arguably) subpar receiving corps just ignores the fact that a huge amount of what he brings to the table is his multi-dimensionality.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, showtime said:

I was watching a documentary on Deion Sanders.  I saw it years ago and there was a quote he said that always stuck with me.  Just re-watched it.

"The night we won the Superbowl in San Francisco, I was the first out of the locker room, the first one home, the first one to bed.  And I said - This... it ain't what I thought it was.  Yeah, I'm not even happy."

Not surprised. It's because he had yet to learn that true happiness was unobtainable until one experienced the freedom of having both meat lovers pizza, AND stuffed crust at Pizza Hut.

But that would come in time.

• Like 2

On 24/03/2020 at 1:58 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

That's the because at the very moment he threw those passes, the earth shifted slightly on its axis and this being couples with Mercury being in retrograde, means it's entirely NOT his fault and you're just a troll for raising this - certain Rams fans. 

Edited by Hunter2_1