Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

No, he was not.

People will do anything to discredit certain players, it's unreal. Why is it so hard for people to just admit Cam had an unreal season with a poor supporting cast?! 

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

People will do anything to discredit certain players, it's unreal. Why is it so hard for people to just admit Cam had an unreal season with a poor supporting cast?! 

I think it's moreso to do with the poster in question propping up every single Oregon Duck as some HoF calibur talent.

Observe: @Oregon Ducks, how good is Marcus Mariota?

(Everyone understands that Mariota is Blake Bortles level bad, but OD here isn't hearing that noise).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DannyB said:

I think the conferences alternate which team is considered the home team, and the home team decides which jerseys to wear. So the home team could always decide on white jerseys.

This is accurate, I'm pretty sure

15 hours ago, DannyB said:

I think the conferences alternate which team is considered the home team, and the home team decides which jerseys to wear. So the home team could always decide on white jerseys.

I also think, during the regular season, this is pretty much why the Redskins are always in the white jerseys. Or were. 

You can both be right about Stewart.

He was a stud his first 4 years.

He was injured the next 2 years.

He was very good in 14 and 15 after that.

No RB was getting a ton of carries, yards, or TDs with Cam playing RB and QB, so don’t focus on his totals.

He also faded pretty fast after 2016, so again, you can both be right.

7 hours ago, SkippyX said:

You can both be right about Stewart.

He was a stud his first 4 years.

He was injured the next 2 years.

He was very good in 14 and 15 after that.

No RB was getting a ton of carries, yards, or TDs with Cam playing RB and QB, so don’t focus on his totals.

Even without focusing on his totals, he wasn't anything special.  4.1 YPC is underwhelming especially when your QB is Cam Newton.  Stewart at his peak was great, but he slowed down considerably after 2011 as the ankle injuries took their toll.  Not to mention he added absolutely nothing to the passing game.  99 receiving yards on the season.

On 4/5/2020 at 4:52 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

What was their schedule like that season? 

@iknowcool

It was relatively easy, but I've never understood why that was held against the team.  It wasn't like they were the only team in the 2010s to have an easy schedule, but they were only 1 of 2 teams in that decade to go 15-1.  They dominated teams throughout games and only ever let them come back because they got too lax (ie Colts, Giants games, Seahawks in the playoffs).  

Hell at one point against the Seahawks in the divisional round, a team that was set-up to be a dynasty and had went to the Super Bowl in the last 2 years (and won one of them), the Panthers held a 31-0 lead at halftime.  Sure, the Seahawks mounted a comeback with the Panthers clearly going to prevent/conservative mode (and it still really wasn't close - it was 10 point game with barely a minute left in the 4th), but that was one of the most dominant halftime performances of ALL time.  And people make it seem like they just benefited from an easy schedule.  They would have been a great team no matter what.

I know you weren't saying this so this isn't directed at you, but just in general, anyone who suggests the Panthers were only good because of an easy schedule doesn't know what they are talking about.  Cam Newton was different from any other mobile QB we had seen because of how willing we were to run him inside, it was the truest zone read the league had seen to that point.  Luke Kuechly was the 2nd best defensive player in the league that year behind JJ Watt.  For my money no MLB in the 2010s had a year as good as he did in pass coverage - around a 54 QB rating when targeted, 6 interceptions, 14 PDs, and 3 TDs.  Norman was a baller.  Tillman was solid until he got hurt.  Edge rushers were contributing with Star and Short controlling the middle.  That was such a talented team.

It sucks we ran into the Broncos in the Super Bowl.  I remember even saying in the game thread how bad of a match-up that was for us because for as unique as our offense was, our receivers flat-out didn't stand a chance against their corners.  I think we would have beaten any other team, but the Broncos defense was too good.  Even then we still had a chance in that game, but fumbles (the one by Tolbert was a killer) and terrible calls (Cotchery clearly caught the ball) crushed us.

In my opinion three reasons why the 2016 team regressed so much.  Kuechly and Newton were both hurt - Kuechly was limited to 10 games and Newton wasn't the same after what the Broncos did to him in Week 1, and then had his shoulder wrecked in December meanwhile the coaches kept playing him.  Norman was released, our scheme didn't need a dominant corner but moronically letting Norman go for no reason left us with 2 rookies on the outside.  Finally, having Kelvin Benjamin return as the #1 WR.  I honestly don't think 2015 happens with Benjamin.  He's that bad of a WR, especially in Shula's archaic passing scheme.  Ginn and Brown were flawed but you had to respect them deep.  Once Benjamin and Funchess had bigger roles, that respect was gone.  It was either 2016 or 2017 where they were both bottom 5 in the league in separation yards per route ran.  No coincidence Newton's numbers got a lot better in 2017 after we traded Benjamin.  

• Like 3