Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

24 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

If a guy like Jared Goff can make 33.5 million per year, I don't see why Dak shouldn't make more money.

No need to use a bad contract to justify another bad contract. I would LOVE it if the Cowboys paid Dak 45million per year, hahaha!!

If I'm a Dallas fan, I'm praying that they hold firm with Dak. Get a contract that lets them walk away in within two years, or let him walk away and find another team willing to overpay.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DannyB said:

No need to use a bad contract to justify another bad contract. I would LOVE it if the Cowboys paid Dak 45million per year, hahaha!!

If I'm a Dallas fan, I'm praying that they hold firm with Dak. Get a contract that lets them walk away in within two years, or let him walk away and find another team willing to overpay.

45 million is obviously steep, but 35 seems fair enough with guys like Goff, Cousins, and Wentz all making just under that.

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

45 million is obviously steep, but 35 seems fair enough with guys like Goff, Cousins, and Wentz all making just under that.

It's a weird cycle with QB contracts over the past decade or so. 

If he got 35 million/year for, say...5 years. For the first year or two, it'll be too much money. Then in maybe the third year, it might seem more reasonable. Then by the fourth year, he'll feel underpaid and want a new deal rather than finishing the last couple years, so the Cowboys have to restructure and extend. There isn't much sweet spot in there where he's just getting paid appropriately.

Personally, I think 35 is just too much for Dak either way, but yeah.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DannyB said:

It's a weird cycle with QB contracts over the past decade or so. 

If he got 35 million/year for, say...5 years. For the first year or two, it'll be too much money. Then in maybe the third year, it might seem more reasonable. Then by the fourth year, he'll feel underpaid and want a new deal rather than finishing the last couple years, so the Cowboys have to restructure and extend. There isn't much sweet spot in there where he's just getting paid appropriately.

Personally, I think 35 is just too much for Dak either way, but yeah.

It really just seems to be par for the course with contracts in general. People were saying Michael Thomas was making too much (strongly disagreed, but that's beside the point) within the past year when he became the highest paid WR at the time, now less than 12 months later, he's the 3rd highest paid WR. It's just the year over year inflation taking effect with contracts. That said in regards to Dak, 35 seems more than fair for a guy that is 26 years old coming off his best season as a pro in which he went for over 5,000 yards of offense had 33 touchdowns, 100 QB rating, and 11 interceptions. I don't think it's a coincidence that when he got a legit weapon at WR, he began to take positive strides as a QB. I don't think he's a top 5 QB by any means, but in the next couple seasons there will be several QB's making considerable more than him (Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, possibly Allen come to mind). As for the actual yearly total, there's always wiggle room there. The Saints are notorious for backloading contracts, which would probably be ideal for Dak, which would keep him closer to his actual value in comparison to his peers. The Cowboys don't have much leverage here though, what's their alternative if they don't pay him? It's not exactly easy to find a QB that can replicate what he did last season.

23 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

It really just seems to be par for the course with contracts in general. People were saying Michael Thomas was making too much (strongly disagreed, but that's beside the point) within the past year when he became the highest paid WR at the time, now less than 12 months later, he's the 3rd highest paid WR. It's just the year over year inflation taking effect with contracts. That said in regards to Dak, 35 seems more than fair for a guy that is 26 years old coming off his best season as a pro in which he went for over 5,000 yards of offense had 33 touchdowns, 100 QB rating, and 11 interceptions. I don't think it's a coincidence that when he got a legit weapon at WR, he began to take positive strides as a QB. I don't think he's a top 5 QB by any means, but in the next couple seasons there will be several QB's making considerable more than him (Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, possibly Allen come to mind). As for the actual yearly total, there's always wiggle room there. The Saints are notorious for backloading contracts, which would probably be ideal for Dak, which would keep him closer to his actual value in comparison to his peers. The Cowboys don't have much leverage here though, what's their alternative if they don't pay him? It's not exactly easy to find a QB that can replicate what he did last season.

No I know, I understand that contracts inflate, and the cap inflates, I get that. But QB contracts have been inflating faster than the cap for the past decade or so, and I'd be VERY hesitant to jump on that train.

Those numbers are pretty, but I dunno...do YOU think he's a stud quarterback? Do you think he looks like.a QB good enough to reset the market and be among the top paid for the foreseeable future? Because I just haven't really seen it yet. I think he's alright, good, decent. I'm not sure yet that he's GREAT.

And I know people think it's crazy, but Dallas can ABSOLUTELY make the choice to just let him walk once team control runs out. I know it's not orthodox or popular, but if I'm a Dallas fan it's what I would applaud them for doing; that's a TOUGH choice, takes balls to make it.

10 minutes ago, DannyB said:

No I know, I understand that contracts inflate, and the cap inflates, I get that. But QB contracts have been inflating faster than the cap for the past decade or so, and I'd be VERY hesitant to jump on that train.

This. QB contract inflation easily outpaces cap increase. The cap jump from a 17 game schedule might help the 2 match up a bit more, but I'm sure QB contracts would be back to outpacing the cap within a few years. Unless we get some ballsy team to start the trend of not even giving a guy his 2nd contract unless he's top 5 material. 

Also, Corona could definitely throw a wrench into projected cap jumps, especially if they play a year with no fans, right? Something to consider as well.