Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is why you never... Ever.... Help people move. 

Seriously though, glad he's okay. Crazy how much of life can come down to seconds, or centimeters, or whatever

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 9:25 AM, Dome said:

it’s all fun and games and charity until a random fan leads the offense to 6 scores in 15 plays and takes the job 

Whoopi Goldberg was in a movie with this sort of premise. It was basketball, not football...

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 5:05 PM, DannyB said:

For being a prestige franchise, the Bears are run like an absolute two-bit backwater team. Dangerously similar to the Raiders and Washington

This is not a shot at Bears fans at all but outside of them being one of the oldest franchises, should we really be consistently thinking of them as a prestigious franchise at this point?

1 Super Bowl - granted, one of the best teams of all time. But outside of 1985, what exactly makes them so prestigious? I think we’d all agree even the late 50s-60s pre-super bowl era represents a somewhat meaningful barometer of success for these NFL franchises if they won a championship in that era, but the Bears have 2 since 1960. They had all their success in the 30s and 40s. When the game was vastly, vastly different than it would be even in the 50s and 60s, and there were what, 6-8 teams?

I know they’ve had some great players that are all-time greats: the Payton’s, Singletary’s, etc. Certainly memorable figures - Ditka, Brian Piccolo. And of course the whole stereotyped exposure the “Da Bears” guys got on SNL in the 80s. But was their success in the early inception of the NFL, one win in 1985, and one appearance in 2006 really worth viewing them as one of the preeminent franchises in the league? I think we’ve come to a point where i’m pretty comfortable in saying compared to their peers, the Bears aren’t a prestigious franchise in this league.

Curious to hear others’ thoughts

Edited by Ray Reed

46 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

This is not a shot at Bears fans at all but outside of them being one of the oldest franchises, should we really be consistently thinking of them as a prestigious franchise at this point?

In this instance, I mean prestige referring to a long, storied history, one of the original NFL teams, been the Chicago Bears essentially since the beginning (two years of being the Decatur Staleys -- which, as a total aside, I would ALWAYS support them reverting back to anytime they want), and have a ton of great, Hall of Fame players.

Furthermore, Chicago is one of the great American cities, and is one of the best sports towns in the country (my personal feelings on their teams notwithstanding). They have passionate fans, and the league is better when they are good.

In this case, when I say prestige, I do NOT mean "relevant". The Bears are NOT relevant, and really haven't been in awhile. Just like other prestige franchises like the Raiders, Washington, and the Giants (although they were relevant more recently).

I wouldn't even call New England a prestige franchise. They're certainly relevant (as of right now at least), but they don't have multiple generations of greatness. The noteworthy parts of their history are relatively new.