Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

4 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I think there is a lot of truth to Goff being unable to read a defense, and that McVay basically breaks down defenses pre-snap for him. He's not a great QB.

Could be, could be not. But if he doesn’t know how to read defenses then he can learn. He’s still only 25. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I think there is a lot of truth to Goff being unable to read a defense, and that McVay basically breaks down defenses pre-snap for him. He's not a great QB.

And the basis for this is what? Hard Knocks? 

It's great to have senseless theories where if Goff sucks you are right and if Goff plays well it is because McVay broke down the defense for him.

Shout out to all of us that continue to post stats and observations from OTHER TEAMS other than our own...

- So far this season, only 6.1% of Goff’s passing attempts have traveled at least 20 yards in the air. That’s the lowest rate of any starting quarterback in the league

- Boyd has seen zero end zone targets. With 57 targets on the season, that makes Boyd the most heavily targeted receiver to not see at least one end zone target this year. 

-  Over the last two weeks, Mike Williams is tied for fifth among wide receivers in targets with 21. Allen has just 11 targets over that span.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Brees = system QB

am I doing this right?

Almost.  But the Saints are ranked 14th in points per drive this year, which if kept up til end of season would be the worst offense of the Payton/Brees era.  Under Brees, they’ve consistently been top 5 in that stat, usually number 1 or number 2.

Although to be fair, most of those offenses are prime Brees.  Current Brees coming back from injury may be a different story.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

OTHER TEAMS other than our own

I gotchu fam:

Every other team (not the Cowboys) has had their QB play at least 1 below expectectation* game according to NFL Next Gen Stats.

*expectation meaning the difficulty of passes in the game (depth, coverage, scenario, etc) vs the end result of the pass

12 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

And the basis for this is what? Hard Knocks? 

It's great to have senseless theories where if Goff sucks you are right and if Goff plays well it is because McVay broke down the defense for him.

Based on multiple reports of it. It's also fairly obvious. He will just blankly stare at defenses while McVay is talking into the headset. I think the only people who refuse to accept that this is a reality are Rams fans, which makes sense. It's also not really a horrible thing, not every QB is Peyton Manning and I think more QBs would be far more successful if the OC/HC talked them through the defenses seen. 

It's still a hole in Goffs game. He isn't good at reading defenses, he's wildly inconstent which I'm not sure is a mechanical inconsistensy or what. He has all the weapons in the world, his OL has been struggling for sure but no reason he can't be at least good with all the weapons he has around him.

4 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Almost.  But the Saints are ranked 14th in points per drive this year, which if kept up til end of season would be the worst offense of the Payton/Brees era.  Under Brees, they’ve consistently been top 5 in that stat, usually number 1 or number 2.

Although to be fair, most of those offenses are prime Brees.  Current Brees coming back from injury may be a different story.

The sample size is also pretty lousy. This is probably the most talented team in Saints franchise history from top to bottom. Bridgewater was put into a very good situation, though to his credit he also has played well...better than many of the starters in the league would have played, I would guess.