Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Has any recent blockbuster RB extension worked out for the teams who gave them?  Hoping the trend continues with Dallas.

Extension, not that I can think of.  Second/third contract for a RB, the Mark Ingram deal for the Ravens has been looking good so far...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Extension, not that I can think of.  Second/third contract for a RB, the Mark Ingram deal for the Ravens has been looking good so far...

Hoping the Eagles can resign Jordan Howard to a modest deal much like the one Mark Ingram just signed.

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Has any recent blockbuster RB extension worked out for the teams who gave them?  Hoping the trend continues with Dallas.

I think every fanbase regrets those deals between Cardinals, Rams, and Cowboys.

I liked the Gurley deal at the time but his injury makes that a disaster. And in hindsight it was probably bad regardless with how much money we are spending elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I think every fanbase regrets those deals between Cardinals, Rams, and Cowboys.

I mean, Zeke is projected to go for 1400 yards, 11 TDs, and 4.4 YPC. You’re probably paying him to have a year like CMC but that’s not shabby, even for elite running backs. 

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

This is an extreme case of false cause fallacy.

The teams Dallas played in weeks 1-3 are 5-23. Just maybe that had more to do with the results than Zeke's usage.

The teams they have played in weeks 4-10 are 31-26.

The teams that beat them are 24-14

43 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean, Zeke is projected to go for 1400 yards, 11 TDs, and 4.4 YPC. You’re probably paying him to have a year like CMC but that’s not shabby, even for elite running backs. 

Definitely not too shabby. Zeke is an elite RB but paying your QB and RB top dollar shrinks what you can do with the rest of your roster and RB is a position that can have a player's talent fade without warning signs. Maybe Dallas fans are still fine with the deal. I just know even if Gurley was still producing he'd be the one contract the Rams have that I'd regret. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Zeke had 1 bad game and we already think Dallas regrets the deal? 

What's the word on DJ? Gurley obviously has the injuries, IF Zeke is even in decline we can obviously point to the insane workload he has seen to start his career. Johnson's had nagging injuries but nothing you can point to. 

He's clearly not as explosive as before and honestly not a top 5 rb this year IMO.

16 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm pretty sure the rationale is they're trying to find the coach that, in a sense, won the most with the least. So when you see a team go from 4-12 to 12-4, the logic is okay, they clearly weren't that talented, so what changed? Must have been coaching, so coach of said team must have done a great job that year. So with McVay, as an example, they saw a 7 win jump going from 2016 to 2017. Same QB. A ton of the same starters. Their biggest FA splash that offseason was arguably Sammy Watkins. So the easiest answer is that coaching was the big driving force in wins.

Same deal with Nagy. Huge jump in wins from '17 to '18. Now in the Bears case they did add Mack, but much of the starting roster returned. Same QB, same RB, same OL, same secondary, etc., and a huge jump in wins. Their offense looked like the result of dynamic play calling and quality coaching, more than quality QB play or anything, so he got points for that.

So they look for improvement like that when it seems like a change in coaching quality is driving that improvement. Because while everyone knows Belichick is the best coach hands down, it could be argued that Nagy taking a Trubisky-led Bears team to a 12-4 division title is a more impressive one year coaching job than Bill taking another Brady-led Pats team to 11-5. And same as MVP, it's more about that one year of value they added.

And in years like that, I'm sure Belichick coached as well as he always did last year, but at the same time....we don't see that. Like at all. We see very small amounts of what these guys actually do, and the same is true of the press. We're basically assuming based on results, for the most part.

Yeah I mean, I get that that's the rationale. I understand that way of thinking. I just don't agree with it. I think it's just the easiest/most convenient way to evaluate something that is, let's be honest, kinda hard to do.