Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

7 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Has any recent blockbuster RB extension worked out for the teams who gave them?  Hoping the trend continues with Dallas.

I was just talking about this in another thread. NO. The answer is no. And that's the danger of drafting a running back high in the first round. They might come in and look GREAT, and immediately pay off. And that's great. But then it's time for the second contract, and it's hard to sell a fanbase on letting go of a player who has been kicking *** for 3 or 4 years and still looks to be in their prime. So you feel like you HAVE to shell out, and then they hit a wall. Maybe not the first year, but it happens.

Look at the RBs leading the league this year, or honestly any given year for the past decade or two. How many of them are running backs that were used heavily for a few years, then given a mega deal? My guess is VERY few.

Given the draft capital it takes to take one high in the 1st round, and the money of the mega deal?...nooo thanks.

5 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Zeke had 1 bad game and we already think Dallas regrets the deal? 

What's the word on DJ? Gurley obviously has the injuries, IF Zeke is even in decline we can obviously point to the insane workload he has seen to start his career. Johnson's had nagging injuries but nothing you can point to. 

DJ has had one great year in 5 seasons so it’s not like he was a HOF talent in the first place.  It was a mixture of right place/right time in BA’s offense and the fact he hasn’t ran hard since getting paid.  He can still be productive in the slot.

He should be playing on the tag right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

I was just talking about this in another thread. NO. The answer is no. And that's the danger of drafting a running back high in the first round. They might come in and look GREAT, and immediately pay off. And that's great. But then it's time for the second contract, and it's hard to sell a fanbase on letting go of a player who has been kicking *** for 3 or 4 years and still looks to be in their prime. So you feel like you HAVE to shell out, and then they hit a wall. Maybe not the first year, but it happens.

Look at the RBs leading the league this year, or honestly any given year for the past decade or two. How many of them are running backs that were used heavily for a few years, then given a mega deal? My guess is VERY few.

Given the draft capital it takes to take one high in the 1st round, and the money of the mega deal?...nooo thanks.

Yup. The only one that readily comes to mind is Le'Veon Bell.  Then again, the Jets overpaid for Darrelle Revis. lol silly Jets

2 minutes ago, Split the Sticks said:

Yup. The only one that readily comes to mind is Le'Veon Bell.  Then again, the Jets overpaid for Darrelle Revis. lol silly Jets

He's 20th in the league in yardage, with a disgusting average of 3ypc. No thanks

6 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I think every fanbase regrets those deals between Cardinals, Rams, and Cowboys.

I liked the Gurley deal at the time but his injury makes that a disaster. And in hindsight it was probably bad regardless with how much money we are spending elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Zeke had 1 bad game and we already think Dallas regrets the deal? 

What's the word on DJ? Gurley obviously has the injuries, IF Zeke is even in decline we can obviously point to the insane workload he has seen to start his career. Johnson's had nagging injuries but nothing you can point to. 

Is "regret" the right word if the fan base was split 50/50 on paying him Gurly money? Im thinking the correct word is vindicated. 

2 hours ago, DannyB said:

I mean that's not exactly true... off the top of my head guys that went on to be successful after a contract extension (not all first round picks specifically) 

Adrian Peterson

Jamaal Charles

Lesean McCoy

Matt Forte 

Marshawn Lynch

Frank Gore

Steven Jackson

Arian Foster 

Chris Johnson 

Jonathan Stewart 

Ray Rice? 

That's without really looking it anything up in detail. All those guys might not have gotten second contracts that made them the highest paid back in the league and obviously those were years ago so the total money and average isn't what guys are making now, but all of those guys were productive on rookie deals, used heavily, got a big payday, and continued to produce on those second contracts. Their production might have dipped some but they were still consistently good, productive backs after their second contract. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

I mean that's not exactly true... off the top of my head guys that went on to be successful after a contract extension (not all first round picks specifically) 

Adrian Peterson

Jamaal Charles

Lesean McCoy

Matt Forte 

Marshawn Lynch

Frank Gore

Steven Jackson

Arian Foster 

Chris Johnson 

Jonathan Stewart 

Ray Rice? 

That's without really looking it anything up in detail. All those guys might not have gotten second contracts that made them the highest paid back in the league and obviously those were years ago so the total money and average isn't what guys are making now, but all of those guys were productive on rookie deals, used heavily, got a big payday, and continued to produce on those second contracts. Their production might have dipped some but they were still consistently good, productive backs after their second contract. 

Charles - his main deal with the Chiefs was signed right on the cusp of him really becoming their workhorse. He flashed the prior season after taking over for Larry Johnson, so the team was lucky enough to get a sample of what he could do, and THEN ink him and drive him into the ground. They gave him an extension that was short on years, but a decent chunk of money. He was okay for one year, then was injured.

Foster - got two good years out of a BIG 5-year deal. Meh.

Stewart - not worth the contract, including some injured years.

Rice - one good year post-contract. then a crappy year, then never played again. No way.

I'll give you the others, as far as having a reasonable amount of success post-2nd contract (Johnson I'm back and forth about, but...fine). But, here are some observations...

-4 of the guys who I'll accept in this category were 1st rounders. 2 were decidedly lower in the round, Lynch was kinda toward the middle, Peterson was a bona-fide high pick.

-Peterson would be the BEST example of high 1st round pick, immediate workhorse, big contract, continued success. And he's a freaking cyborg.

-Seattle did NOT have to sink 1st round draft capital to benefit from Lynch's best years.

-I might keep looking into this, but it's striking how many of RB's best years come within their first four. A lot of these backs, even the ones who may have been "worth it", got paid big money to ultimately never perform as well as they once did.

All of this looking around only kinda solidifies my thinking: I do not think it is wise or necessary to spend a high 1st round pick (I'd rather not any 1st round pick, but anyways), AND give a big 2nd contract.

Skills are fleeting, health concerns are risky, plenty of supply, and ultimately this leads them to being a relatively low "W.A.R."-esque player.

any teams in recent years rack up a lot of wins but also have a really high 'points allowed' total? like they let in 4-5 hundred but still were 12+ wins

something like Denver '13 but without the extreme outlier for 'points for'

Just now, Forge said:

Co-sign

It sucks but it's true. I'm definitely in the middle of a conundrum due to Aaron Jones only having 1 more year on his deal. He's going to command top 10 money but I simply can't do it. He's such a great asset to have at his pay now but, after that, it gets muddied. You can get production at the RB position from guys making bottom tier money more than you can almost any other position. There is literally no reason to pay RBs unless the contract is worth it. Meaning, the dead cap money doesn't kill you when your cap room dwindles and you need to extend other players at more important positions.

• Like 1