Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

25 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Unpopular opinion: Frank Gore should be in the Hall of Longevity, not the Hall of Fame.

I agree that some players get in just because they showed up a lot (Bettis) but Gore should probably be in the HoF just as a 49er

• Bettis was a 3.9 per carry back on the Rams and on the Steelers

Gore in SF had 11k rushing yards, and 75 combined TDs at 4.5 per run.

• He was also a 4.6 per carry back in the playoffs on a 16 game pace of 1292 yards and 10 TDs
  • He also went to 5 pro bowls in 10 years and all 5 were legit (not popularity contest but stat based)

Gore belongs in the Hall of Fame by any measure.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I agree that some players get in just because they showed up a lot (Bettis) but Gore should probably be in the HoF just as a 49er

• Bettis was a 3.9 per carry back on the Rams and on the Steelers

Gore in SF had 11k rushing yards, and 75 combined TDs at 4.5 per run.

• He was also a 4.6 per carry back in the playoffs on a 16 game pace of 1292 yards and 10 TDs
  • He also went to 5 pro bowls in 10 years and all 5 were legit (not popularity contest but stat based)

Gore belongs in the Hall of Fame by any measure.

I think unfortunately though that's not how he'll be valued, which is where I'm going ultimately with this. You can maybe argue based on his time in SF that he should be a Hall of Famer, but you're also comparing him to other guys who probably shouldn't be in the HOF (Jerome Bettis, for example), and IMHO if that's your benchmark for why Gore should be in, that's a very low bar.

Frank gore has a better career ypc than most of the top ten rushers, all in the hof.  Oh and he did it at a time when bell cow RBs have been devalued in place of the passing game.  Top 4 in yds from scrim, great blocker, top 3 in rushing yards.  For many years he was all the niners had and defenses still couldn’t stop him.  Frank gore is a perfect example of the the hof represents.  The goal of the hof isn’t to recognize the players with the best 2 year peaks.

• Like 1

I think Cunningham belongs in the Gayle Sayers, Joe Namath, Jerome Bettis, Jim Kelly HoF.

I don't think he is close to Brady, Montana, Manning, Brees, or Marino.

Its only one HoF though so add Cunningham for his 2 MVP level seasons and his incredible highlights, and his huge impact.

Put Gore in based on his stats which are better than most RBs in the HoF.

BTW, Gore is also 4th in yards from scrimmage behind Rice, Smith, and Payton.

Fun Fact about the Titans that I hadn't updated since I posted it back in early October.

The Titans record in the "Titans" era is 166-158(.512 winning%). Jeff Fisher's career winning percentage is....you guessed it .512%.

I feel this franchise will forever be hunted by the ghost of Jeff Fisher. Forever stuck between 7-9 and 9-7.

Edited by TitanSlim
  • Like 1