Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

2 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

Very interesting.

I toss it up to - losing teams have to pass a lot.

I don't know about the other teams, but for us, it's a combination of having to pass a lot because the defense in the 1st half of the season was on pace to be one of the worst defenses in NFL history (they got better post-bye thanks to the pass rush becoming much better over the bye week, but I still don't think they're that amazing) - as well as the kind of offensive scheme we run. Koetter loves to dink and dunk a lot. This leads to a lot of situations where the Falcons start on their own 25, advance all the way to the opponent's 35, and then take a sack on 3rd down and have to punt. It's just way too hard in the modern NFL to consistently get to 30-40 points on 17 play, 75 yard drives, every possession. You HAVE to be able to have some ability to push the ball vertically in the modern NFL, or you'll just kick a bunch of field goals imo. This leads to games where we have over 400+ yards and only get to 10 points. Some of that is garbage time, but some of that is also due to systemic issues that plague us. If you want to score touchdowns, you gotta get explosive plays and Koetter just doesn't seem to respect that all that much.

The best statistic to show why this is frustrating is points per drive. The Falcons are averaging 2.19 points per drive, 9th best in the NFL - they also have 36.81 yards per drive, good for fifth in the NFL! If you take drive success rate seriously, they're 4th in the NFL, only behind Baltimore, Kansas City, and Dallas. Meanwhile, the Falcons are 13th in the NFL in points per game. Something's not right with that, systemically.  You need explosive plays of 20+ yards or more to consistently score on drives when your defense sucks. And the defense being terrible is more than giving up points (they're 29th in defensive points per drive, which is horrendous), opposing offenses are often sucking up the clock - which again, forces us to air it out 60 times a game just to keep up. And we can't counter their ability to play keep-away because every time we run the ball, Freeman is tackled in the backfield for a loss. In that situation, what do you even do?

We were also one of the worst teams in the league at running the ball. We were throwing it 60 times a game because every time we ran it, it was only good for 1-2 yards - there were literally zero holes being created in the running lanes by the offensive line. It was pretty much a wasted down when you run the ball with us. It was basically a perfect storm of bad things happening for us, coinciding with Matt having a down year by his own standards. With all that working against us, you'd expect a ton of passing yards, even with Matt missing 1.5 games on the year. I think this is one of his weakest years in terms of his decision making (he's made more wtf decisions this year than what I've come to expect from him in the past 3-4 years), but I'm also not holding this season against him because I don't know how many QBs would have a ton of success with everything that's gone wrong this year.

Edited by Hukos

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

David Njoku should worry about "Staying  Healthy and on the field" rather then running his mouth like he's a Somebody,  your not!!! Prove something first!

I don't think he's back there next year. Honestly, I just don't think the team thinks that he's any good, tbh. I don't think it matters whether Freddie is back or not. 

• Like 1

EWhy is the Texans game being played after the Chiefs game? If the Chiefs win, then the Texans are locked at 4 and can rest starters (which gives Texans extra rest + screws over AFC WC race teams since Tenn presumably wins vs backups).

I thought week 17 was deliberately scheduled to prevent these kind of scenarios?

Does the NFL want the Titans to play backups since the Steelers get to play backups?...

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Why is the Texans game being played after the Chiefs game? If the Chiefs win, then the Texans are locked at 4 and can rest starters (which gives Texans extra rest + screws over AFC WC race teams since Tenn presumably wins vs backups).

I thought week 17 was deliberately scheduled to prevent these kind of scenarios?

That's a good point.

My opinion. To accommodate both coasts and all in-between, let all games on week 17 be played on Sunday at 3:00 pm eastern, noon west coast

But they won't because it's all about the $$$$

36 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

EWhy is the Texans game being played after the Chiefs game? If the Chiefs win, then the Texans are locked at 4 and can rest starters (which gives Texans extra rest + screws over AFC WC race teams since Tenn presumably wins vs backups).

Does the NFL want the Titans to play backups since the Steelers get to play backups?...

Probably your last paragraph.