Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Wasn't equating at all, was comparing standoff's from different viewpoints. 

Well Brees while entitled to have a say and an opinion, is frankly wrong.  Being able to protest is at the core of America’s history. You can’t force people to stand for the anthem. You can’t force nationalism on people. That’s fascism.

No one is telling Brees to shut up. But his own free speech has consequences as we are seeing here. He deserves to get roasted for it.

• Like 4

He understands the protests and the reasoning behind it as to the kneeling. Him disagreeing with it is not him being ignorant of the movement, it's him disagreeing with the tactics.

Yeah, I think this gets lost in all the business. 

You can offend (or in this case, do something someone disagrees with) without meaning or intending to do so. I remember a photoshopped picture of this couple getting frisky on the pyramid. To that guy, the pyramid is probably just a famous landmark that is easily recognizable. To some, it’s a religious landmark that they thought that gentlemen desecrated. If he said his sole intention was based on something else, not to disrespect their culture, does that make it acceptable by those people? I think you can do something, with one intention, and it have an effect that you didn’t intend on having - which applies to both parties right now.  

• Like 2

Just now, RabidPanther89 said:

Well Brees while entitled to have a say and an opinion, is frankly wrong.  Being able to protest is at the core of America’s history. You can’t force people to stand for the anthem. You can’t force nationalism on people. That’s fascism.

No one is telling Brees to shut up. But his own free speech has consequences as we are seeing here. He deserves to get roasted for it.

He says it's disrespectful. That's not installing nationalism on people. 

Lmao and you should go read twitter, thousands are telling him to shut up. 

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

He says it's disrespectful. That's not installing nationalism on people. 

Lmao and you should go read twitter, thousands are telling him to shut up. 

What I mean by that is no one can force him to shut up. But yeah he can be told to shut up. Actions have consequences. He is entitled to be wrong.

We've been talking about this this Kaepernick thing for way too long for anyone to earnestly still pretend this is all about disrespecting the military or the flag or whatever when it comes to the kneeling. FFS it was a former Green Beret who suggested to Kaep that he kneel instead of sit in the first place precisely because he thought that was the respectful way to protest. Drew Brees of all people knows that but he'd rather be willfully obtuse about it rather than really engage in a substantive way. The whole conversation is just hollow. If Brees was willing to say what he really believed that'd be one thing but instead you get the phony outrage route. Give me a break. People can see through that, clearly his teammates see through it. Good for them. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah, I think this gets lost in all the business. 

You can offend (or in this case, do something someone disagrees with) without meaning or intending to do so. I remember a photoshopped picture of this couple getting frisky on the pyramid. To that guy, the pyramid is probably just a famous landmark that is easily recognizable. To some, it’s a religious landmark that they thought that gentlemen desecrated. If he said his sole intention was based on something else, not to disrespect their culture, does that make it acceptable by those people? I think you can do something, with one intention, and it have an effect that you didn’t intend on having - which applies to both parties right now.  

Oh I understand. I also highly doubt this is resolved before the season starts (if it starts).

1 minute ago, RabidPanther89 said:

What I mean by that is no one can force him to shut up. But yeah he can be told to shut up. Actions have consequences. He is entitled to be wrong.

I don't think you read his interview, he said nothing that should have been interpreted as being disrespectful. But as said before it gets lost because of one line being misinterpreted in all the anger out there right now. 

2 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

We've been talking about this this Kaepernick thing for way too long for anyone to earnestly still pretend this is all about disrespecting the military or the flag or whatever when it comes to the kneeling

Oh totally. In their heart of hearts they know that's not it. It's just a way for them to express anger and disgust at someone they disagree with, without intellectually engaging in the actual issue.

If, before this whole thing started, "certain players" decided to kneel to bring focus to "another type of issue entirely", Joe Sportsfan would have ZERO problem with it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I don't think you read his interview, he said nothing that should have been interpreted as being disrespectful. But as said before it gets lost because of one line being misinterpreted in all the anger out there right now. 

So it's unfair for people to consider his comments disrespectful to the issue being protested, but it's fair for him to consider others kneeling for the anthem disrespectful?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I watched the whole thing. He emphasized his own experience. He wraps it up in a nice bow about unity but he still doesn’t get it and doesn’t understand that kneeling is probably one of the  most effective forms of protest his grand fathers ironically fought for.

8 minutes ago, DannyB said:

So it's unfair for people to consider his comments disrespectful to the issue being protested, but it's fair for him to consider others kneeling for the anthem disrespectful?

Words are being lost here.

He never had a problem with the issue (movement) he supported it and supported his teammates. He took issue with how they went about it. That is not being disrespectful.

I said this before and I will say it again. You do not have to agree with everything that comes out of a movement nor how some people go about furthering it. 

For example, rioting. It is not disrespectful to the movement to be against destruction and pillaging even if it gets a stronger message across. You can have your own standards of how to further the movement without going against what you believe in.  

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

That is not being disrespectful.

But this is my point: Others disagree with you, just like Drew Brees disagrees with the the vast number of people saying that kneeling during the anthem isn't disrespectful. See?

12 minutes ago, RabidPanther89 said:

I watched the whole thing. He emphasized his own experience. He wraps it up in a nice bow about unity but he still doesn’t get it and doesn’t understand that kneeling is probably one of the  most effective forms of protest his grand fathers ironically fought for.

Im really questioning whether or not you did.

He made it clear he supported the fight against injustice but he disagreed with taking that route to fight it.

Lol and most effective? No, absolutely not. They did it in one of the laziest and yes IMO disrespectful ways to bring attention. You want MOST effective? I bet you had they started the game and every team playing that Sunday took the field and knelt down refusing to play the game to bring attention, chatting with reporters about why they are doing it. Putting their careers and and livelihoods on the line. That would have been one hell of a message for the history books to everyone about the violence. 

But would they do that? Civil Rights Heroes made similar statements that put their reputations, livelihoods and lives on the line to do whats right. But not these guys, oh no, you didn't see Kaep out there with the protesters. No one barely even noticed him for weeks, but how much quicker do you think that movement would have came about if he pulled a Glen Coffee or Pat Tillman and just up and quit to go do what he thought was right? I'm willing to bet you anything the reporters would have come in droves to see him do it. 

Except that's not what happened was it? Oh no these guys still wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted to protest but didn't want to do anything that would jeopardize what they already had and wanted to keep going. 

Kneeling is an effective form of protesting but it all depends on where your doing it and these guys weren't exactly facing the dogs, fire hoses, and beatings to make that statement were they?

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Kneeling is an effective form of protesting but it all depends on where your doing it and these guys weren't exactly facing the dogs, fire hoses, and beatings to make that statement were they?

Nope, they were simply using their available platform to send a message about something they believed in. Kneeling for the national anthem for an NFL game was going to be seen and talked about far more than a peaceful protest in the streets 4 years ago.

The knees Kaepernick and the others took have done far more than any press conference or sudden retirement could have in regards to starting conversations and helping to bring about change.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DannyB said:

But this is my point: Others disagree with you, just like Drew Brees disagrees with the the vast number of people saying that kneeling during the anthem isn't disrespectful. See?

I understand where you're coming from. 

But the part in bold is where the issue is on both sides.While they say Brees is ignorant (which BTW is disrespectful) and disrespectful but somehow they are not. 

Like Yin-Yang said, this is all getting lost in the business.