Rams extend WR Robert Woods (4 years, $65M, $32M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, VonKarman said:

That's what pretty much every cap guru expects this year. Might not go down to 175M, but it will definetly go down. Even if the cap was 200M, the Rams would have 6M in cap space, and you'd still need to sign your rookies and PS guys.

We can just push money into the future. People need to stop thinking of the cap in single year increments.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

We can just push money into the future. People need to stop thinking of the cap in single year increments.

Of course you can and you will. I intended to respond to those people who say that the cap doesn't exist. It exists, but it doesn't mean that a team totally collapses from one year to another. Teams will (almost) always be able to re-sign their top guys, but when the cap is tight you'll probably see it affecting the middle salary guys (4-10M), either by not being re-signed or by not getting those in FA. The Rams are a testament to that, since they have quite a few top-tier guys, but they also rely a ton in rookies and guys on minimum or close to minimum contracts.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Of course you can and you will. I intended to respond to those people who say that the cap doesn't exist. It exists, but it doesn't mean that a team totally collapses from one year to another. Teams will (almost) always be able to re-sign their top guys, but when the cap is tight you'll probably see it affecting the middle salary guys (4-10M), either by not being re-signed or by not getting those in FA. The Rams are a testament to that, since they have quite a few top-tier guys, but they also rely a ton in rookies and guys on minimum or close to minimum contracts.

This. I responded to similar posts, in I think the Kupp thread, with people saying the cap doesn't exist, or is a myth, or whatever. But obviously it does, because for all the guys the Rams have extended, if the cap didn't exist, they would have also kept at least some of Littleton and Joyner and Saffold and Cooks and Watkins and Gurley and Fowler and Johnson and so on. People have just already forgotten the mid-tier guys that the Rams let walk in order to maintain the cap flexibility to sign all the guys they have. Every resigning and player that walks are statements of priority, who the team actually thinks is core to the roster and franchise, versus who isn't. And that list isn't a shot at the Rams, I could do the same with KC. We have an interior line and about half a starting defense of our drafted players that are starting elsewhere in the NFL. If the cap was truly a myth, no worthwhile player would ever hit free agency. There is ALWAYS a cost with the cap, people just forget about it too quickly.

And the result is rarely a collapse, when it does go badly. It's normally a slow decay in roster talent, either because a team makes the wrong choices in who to keep and who to let walk, or because they don't continue drafting well enough to replace the talent they do let walk. It's why the mark of a long term great team is always sustained quality talent acquisition.