Wirfs is pretty good already

bucsfan333

41 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

Please be good 🙏🙏🙏

What's the discussion on his going to left tackle again? I know it's not his natural position and all. But we may not have a choice soon. 

Nah got to just stick it out or put someone else there.  Wirfs hasn't played LT in a while.  Switch positions like that is very hard and takes a lot of re-learning so it would most likely be the off-season if a switch was made.

I can't imagine we drafted him this high without the possibility of moving him to LT if D Smith didn't improve drastically. 

D Smith is gone after this year, right now. Unless he becomes a decent LT, his third year won't pay him anything if we cut him. And drafting a starting LT where we expect to draft in 2021 doesn't seem plausible.

As for right now, I don't know. But if he's really as advanced with his eyes, hands, and base as this video shows, switching sides would be a huge improvement in regards to keeping Brady upright and scrambling less.

All depends on our OT3 - who should be able to play either side. Which should be an indicator that switching sides can't be that difficult. 

I m trying  to remember how many times a prospect who played exclusively at RT in college transitioned to LT in the pros.  I believe Cam Robinson from Bama then drafted by the Jags.  I think that is it for the list.  I would leave Wirfs at RT, do what needs to be done this season at LT - replace Smith or slide protection.  

In the offseason find the replacement for Smith- 6 yrs is enough time to show consistency.

As of now FA LTs in the offseason - Williams, Stanley, Villaneuva, Bakhtieri.   My best guess is either Villaneuva or Williams will not be franchised.  As we know cutting Smith saves $14 million.  

I have no idea how deep the prospect tackle pool is in the draft.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I m trying  to remember how many times a prospect who played exclusively at RT in college transitioned to LT in the pros.  I believe Cam Robinson from Bama then drafted by the Jags.  I think that is it for the list.  I would leave Wirfs at RT, do what needs to be done this season at LT - replace Smith or slide protection.  

In the offseason find the replacement for Smith- 6 yrs is enough time to show consistency.

As of now FA LTs in the offseason - Williams, Stanley, Villaneuva, Bakhtieri.   My best guess is either Villaneuva or Williams will not be franchised.  As we know cutting Smith saves $14 million.  

I have no idea how deep the prospect tackle pool is in the draft.

Wirfs looks like a legit stud on the outside. Has experience playing playing LT too so that should give Bucs options. 

Im sick of Don Smith inconsistent play. Bucs need to move on and find a replacement or sign a RT. We should be able to find a good RT in R2 via draft

I've had the pleasure of watching Wirfs for the last few seasons at Iowa. He was actually roommates with one of my former high school teammate's son who also plays for Iowa. Tristan is not only a monster, he is a great kid with a great attitude. His work ethic is crazy, and he's smart. And durability is also great with this one.

You guys got a real gem here. Congrats!

Edited by Mid Iowa
  • Like 4