What are you reading? V1

Forge

On 7/11/2018 at 1:57 PM, Broncofan said:

Erikson's series wouldn't be for that crowd lol.   It's not slow at all, but it jumps around so much you need an encyclopedia sized book for the character list alone.

Looking for a book series for the winter, liked GoT, read WoT, is this a good series to get invested in?   Easy to get into at the start etc 

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Looking for a book series for the winter, liked GoT, read WoT, is this a good series to get invested in?   Easy to get into at the start etc 

It’s confusing for first 50-60 pages but so engrossing.  Just so many stories told.  The payoff is amazing.  So many characters you root for / get crushed by / fall for.  

If you love GoT this is the next big thing to read. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 3:58 PM, Broncofan said:

It’s confusing for first 50-60 pages but so engrossing.  Just so many stories told.  The payoff is amazing.  So many characters you root for / get crushed by / fall for.  

If you love GoT this is the next big thing to read. 

What’s the basic premise? I read that it’s being made into a tv show

On 10/11/2018 at 1:55 PM, broncofan48 said:

Fire and Blood comes out next month for the ASOIAF series. And did you read the Dunk & Egg stories?

Im on the last book of Kingsbridge Trilogy. Then Im starting the First Law series since the author is going to continue building that world with more books coming out, one early next year.

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Fire and Blood comes out next month for the ASOIAF series. And did you read the Dunk & Egg stories?

Im on the last book of Kingsbridge Trilogy. Then Im starting the First Law series since the author is going to continue building that world with more books coming out, one early next year.

Preordered fire and blood and I really enjoyed the dunk and egg so looking forward to fire and blood a lot

• 3 weeks later...

After reading through the whole thread, I found the comment to stay away from John S. "The Pearl", to make me go....O.o

I find the Dune series to be quite brilliant when it comes to expressing his (Herbert) views of religion and politics through his writing. His takes on religious and political control are dead on. 

Edited by Warhorse

6 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Just listened to Arsenal, a super hero book, the issue I had with it is that I had to use an audible credit (or maybe I paid for it), and it was about half a book.

Now I'm listening to The Warded Man. Thus far it's been interesting.

Loved the Demon Cycle series. Need to reread them. Have the first 3 (maybe 4) on audible but I loathe listening to audio books. But for some reason I never canceled my audible account so just kept using credits on Demon Cycle books.

Currently reading Gardens of the Moon. Erikson has nice writing style, but I feel so lost when they start talking about Shadowthrone and his followers and Wardens and gods and whatnot in a manner that I feel like I'm supposed to know what they're talking about.

On 11/7/2018 at 8:53 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Loved the Demon Cycle series. Need to reread them. Have the first 3 (maybe 4) on audible but I loathe listening to audio books. But for some reason I never canceled my audible account so just kept using credits on Demon Cycle books.

I've thought it's been okay thus far. The Warded Man seems like it's a bit standard and trope filled, there are some interesting parts to it, but I'm hoping to delve more into what the story is going to be, still feels like I'm introductions to characters.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:13 PM, The Gnat said:

I've thought it's been okay thus far. The Warded Man seems like it's a bit standard and trope filled, there are some interesting parts to it, but I'm hoping to delve more into what the story is going to be, still feels like I'm introductions to characters.

Those books get better as you go.  I agree that at first, they're kind of standard.

But the author does a good job of pulling together a lot of characters into a great story.  It's one of the better fantasy series out there.

• Like 1

Right now i'm reading The Good Daughter.  (it's a murder mystery)

I'm not typically into these kind of books, but i try to make it a point to read something outside of my normal genres several times/year.  So far, it's actually a pretty good mystery book.  Has some of the normal tropes, but it's definitely not linear, and does a pretty good job of developing the characters.  

I'm about 3/4 of the way of the way through it, and would recommend it.

• Like 1

The last few books I've read have been:

Micro by Michael Crichton
Blood Music by Greg Bear
The Ruins by Scott Smith

Micro was probably my second favorite Michael Crichton novel other than the Jurassic Park books.  So my fourth favorite Crichton novel.  Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Prey and then Micro.  REALLY hope the movie isn't turned into some PG-13 crap.  That novel was absolutely brutal.  If they turn it into some PG-13 happy ending standard adventure movie I'll just be sick. 

Blood Music was a whole lot of meh.  Most of it went way over my head. 

The Ruins is an example of a novel being so entirely different and better from the movie that it's depressing.  Shame on Scott Smith for butchering his own novel when writing the screenplay. 

I've been looking for something that is a mix between horror and fantasy.  Haven't been finding anything, so I've been sticking with horror. 

• Like 1