What are you reading? V1

Forge

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Those books get better as you go.  I agree that at first, they're kind of standard.

But the author does a good job of pulling together a lot of characters into a great story.  It's one of the better fantasy series out there.

Yeah, there are definitely a number of places where I've found it interesting thus far, but definitely a bit standard thus far. I think that the warding magic is interesting and has had some interesting moments with it, and I like the messengers and the fact that they are peddlers that you get in other fantasy stories, but different in some ways. I'd say I wish it was more focused on the messengers thus far.

Just wrapped up The Warded Man. Thought it was solid, wasn't a huge fan of Leesha, but Rojer was a good character. Arlen kind of went in and out of being an annoying whiny emo man child and being pretty interesting in terms of a character. Falls into a pretty common trope I'd say with that. I'll definitely continue the series, was a nice thing to listen to while I'm at work.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Just wrapped up The Warded Man. Thought it was solid, wasn't a huge fan of Leesha, but Rojer was a good character. Arlen kind of went in and out of being an annoying whiny emo man child and being pretty interesting in terms of a character. Falls into a pretty common trope I'd say with that. I'll definitely continue the series, was a nice thing to listen to while I'm at work.

Yeah that sort of continues through all the books honestly.

10 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yeah that sort of continues through all the books honestly.

That's a shame. When he's not, like when he was exploring and figuring out the wards on the spear, he could have been a decent character, or when he wasn't at odds with Regan and his wife in the town he was a solid character as well.

14 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

That's a shame. When he's not, like when he was exploring and figuring out the wards on the spear, he could have been a decent character, or when he wasn't at odds with Regan and his wife in the town he was a solid character as well.

i mean, it kind of comes and goes.  It's definitely not 80% of the time.  Probably only 5-10% of the time.  But the other characters have their emo phases too.

The next few books introduce some new characters too.  Some are good, like Jardir and Briar.  Some you wish would die a quick death (like Renna, who starts off kind of cool, then quickly becomes the worst).

Also, i wanted to make sure i spelled the names correctly, so i googled them.  Apparently there's a wikia for this book series, and they had real people dress and pose as the characters.  Very lol worthy.

http://thedemoncycle.wikia.com/wiki/Leesha_Paper?t=20181001203004

http://thedemoncycle.wikia.com/wiki/Rojer_Inn?t=20180627151737

30 minutes ago, theJ said:

Also, i wanted to make sure i spelled the names correctly, so i googled them.  Apparently there's a wikia for this book series, and they had real people dress and pose as the characters.  Very lol worthy.

http://thedemoncycle.wikia.com/wiki/Leesha_Paper?t=20181001203004

http://thedemoncycle.wikia.com/wiki/Rojer_Inn?t=20180627151737

I've actually looked at the Wiki a couple of times already. I did that to know how to spell stuff for it and to make sure I was hearing names correctly since I'm listening to the series. I was surprised by how much Leesha cosplay there was.

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I've actually looked at the Wiki a couple of times already. I did that to know how to spell stuff for it and to make sure I was hearing names correctly since I'm listening to the series. I was surprised by how much Leesha cosplay there was.

It also appears to be the same woman who poses for the book cover.

22 hours ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Little over 100 pages into The Name of the Wind. Liking it so far. 

Good, as I think the beginning is the roughest part to get through. Stick with it as I think it only got better. 

Book 2 is hit or miss with a lot of people, as, in my opinion it's structure and tone completely changes. Still, I enjoyed both immensely. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 9:58 AM, theJ said:

Right now i'm reading The Good Daughter.  (it's a murder mystery)

I'm not typically into these kind of books, but i try to make it a point to read something outside of my normal genres several times/year.  So far, it's actually a pretty good mystery book.  Has some of the normal tropes, but it's definitely not linear, and does a pretty good job of developing the characters.  

I'm about 3/4 of the way of the way through it, and would recommend it.

Update: not particularly recommended anymore.  I finished it.  It ends just like every NCIS episode ever created: good guys figure it out, bad guys confess to everything, and i roll my eyes a lot.

I actually thought we were headed toward a real world ending based on the way the rest of the book went.  But nope.