What are you reading? V1

Forge

On 12/12/2017 at 9:51 PM, JLambert58 said:

Just finished The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson about the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago and America's first serial killer that was there, H.H. Holmes.  Good story and slice of life in America in the 1890s.

I went on a Larson tear earlier this year (read THUNDERSTRUCK and DEAD WAKE) and all of his stuff is excellent pop-history.

One thing about DitWC and THUNDERSTRUCK is the pulpy murder-stuff ends up far less compelling than the technology half of the books.

On 1/3/2019 at 5:38 AM, MikeT14 said:

I liked The Name of the Wind. I thought the Wise Man's Fear was much different. Be curious to see your thoughts after.

Just finished it. It's definitely different but I enjoyed them. Found a lot of the bandits part pretty annoying and it seemed like a lot happened in this book. 

5 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Just finished it. It's definitely different but I enjoyed them. Found a lot of the bandits part pretty annoying and it seemed like a lot happened in this book. 

Exactly. Book 1 was almost like a Harry Potter Year 1 in school thing going on. Book 2 was like 47 different things happening. 

24 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Exactly. Book 1 was almost like a Harry Potter Year 1 in school thing going on. Book 2 was like 47 different things happening. 

Book 2 is like Harry Potter if he took a semester off to 

commit mass murder and credit card fraud

I still really like the first half of the book a lot. The whole thing with Devi and Ambrose was so good. The second half is good too, but it drags a lot. Could have easily been two books itself.

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1

Almost done with my latest series, Night Angel by Brent Weeks. Haven't loved it but it's okay. I really struggle with calling a super deadly assassin a 'wet boy.'

I've been told Weeks' Lightbringer series is better so considering that in the future but probably not next. 

Has anyone read Tim Severin "Vikings" 3 book series? I have a stack of others I want to get through, but looking over what its about and how its laid out. Makes me want to shoot it to top of my list to read.

Tim also wrote the Hector Lynch series. Any input on his writing style with either would be helpful in decision making.

I'm reading 1776 by David McCullough right now.  I really like it, but I don't like how it's so centered on minuscule details and minutiae of the armies and people.  I was hoping it was more of an all-inclusive book on the American Revolution.  Can anybody please recommend the best all-inclusive book on the American Revolution that reads like 1776, not like a textbook? 

Right now the leading candidate for my next read is Almost A Miracle: The American Victory in the War for Independence. 

Ideally, I'd like more on the actual Founding Fathers in their efforts to write the Declaration as well as battles and other significant points in the whole thing. 

Would also like similar recommendations on other points in American / World History. 

Would also be interested in engaging biographies on important historical figures, especially United States Presidents (particularly George Washington). 

@vike daddy, I think you like this sort of book.  Also, I think @incognito_man

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm reading 1776 by David McCullough right now.  I really like it, but I don't like how it's so centered on minuscule details and minutiae of the armies and people.  I was hoping it was more of an all-inclusive book on the American Revolution.  Can anybody please recommend the best all-inclusive book on the American Revolution that reads like 1776, not like a textbook? 

Right now the leading candidate for my next read is Almost A Miracle: The American Victory in the War for Independence. 

Ideally, I'd like more on the actual Founding Fathers in their efforts to write the Declaration as well as battles and other significant points in the whole thing. 

Would also like similar recommendations on other points in American / World History. 

Would also be interested in engaging biographies on important historical figures, especially United States Presidents (particularly George Washington). 

@vike daddy, I think you like this sort of book.  Also, I think @incognito_man

I've read Chernow's Washington biography. Loved it.

It gets into other American Revolution players as well, so it expands beyond Washington into the war generally. Would highly recommend it.

• Like 1