What are you reading? V1

Forge

5 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Finished book 3 of Malazan series. Gonna take a break and read Haunting of Hill House.

My wife has been raving about Bear Town so I may give that a read before starting book 4.

Yeesh, that's a commitment.  Good?

I've started Song of Solomon now.  I'm hit or miss on Toni Morrison, but this one looks more interesting than Beloved, which I thought was just OK.  Book of the New Sun up after that.

I finished Suspicious Minds (Stranger Things YA(?) novel #1), and here's my review of it:

If you read Stephen King's Firestarter and then remove anything controversial, remove anything suspenseful or scary, and then remove any character development, you'd still have a better book than Suspicious Minds. I went into it thinking it would be an entertaining book. I left it not knowing if I should really even call it a book.

Finishing up listening to Ascend Online.

Authors need to use better editors. Just too much repetition in how it is written, too much repetition of words in sentences, foot and foot, hanging and hanging, stuff like that. But the LitRPG story is pretty decent.

I have accelerated my reading by making it a goal to read one book a week. 

Right now I'm reading Patriots:

This is the book that I would recommend most to people who want an all-encompassing story on the American Revolution.  For me, it's a great refresher for everything I've read so far.  It starts way earlier than the others and gives a great sense of things done from 15 years before things got out of hand.  Also, it hits all the great anecdotes and quotes of the time while shying away from the minutiae that bogs down the other all-encompassing books.  It also does a great job of giving some background on the major players of the time, separating myth and legend from fact and showing how certain people were maybe a little bit overrated (Washington, Jefferson) while others were a little bit underrated (Samuel Adams, John Adams, Hamilton). 

Speaking of that, Bunker Hill: A City, A Siege A Revolution was great for getting a sense of Joseph Warren and how different things might have been had he survived the Battle of Bunker Hill, or at least it did a great job of showing his importance and impact on the revolution. 

Back to Patriots: The Men Who Started the American Revolution...

It does a fantastic job of explaining the major battles in simpler terms so that the reader can get a sense of the battle.  The other books I've read got a little bit too exhaustive and confusing with antiquated jargon and not really necessary detail. 

After Patriots: The Men Who Started the American Revolution, I am going to read The Declaration of Independence, Common Sense (Thomas Paine) and the Constitution and a couple other select writings of the Founding Fathers and count that as one book. 

After that I will be officially done with the American Revolution period of America's history.  From there I will read biographies on Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, John Adams (who I think is probably one of the most underrated people of history, not necessarily president), then Thomas Jefferson. 

Then it's Founding Brothers, which details the creation of the "practical workings" of our nation starting around 1790.  

After that I've got to do some planning to determine the right order for books on the Louisiana Purchase, Lewis and Clarke, James Madison, the War of 1812, James Monroe and all the other presidents up to and through the Texas battle for independence, the U.S.-Mexico war, etc. 

I'm really looking forward to being able to have a legitimate and educated opinion on who my favorite President was.  Based solely on what I know at this point and judging them as people rather than their accomplishments as Presidents, I have to say John Adams is the frontrunner.  That dude was so far ahead of his time and might be one of the best models of an American Patriot ever.  That was a hell of a family because I've also picked up a serious admiration for Samuel Adams, who was possibly the most underrated person ever during the American Revolution.  I don't think there's ever a war and thus never American independence without him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Anybody read the Raven King Trilogy?

Says its Robin Hood set in Whales dealing with Norsemen or something like that. Saw it and grabbed it last night. Wonder if worth investing time in.

I'm going to look into it now.

23 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Any thought? Doesnt sound bad to me. Want to start this or Ben Kanes Forgotten Legion on Monday.

It's in my "Wishlist" to explore later .... along with like 15 other books. I have no rhyme or reason to them either lol. It sounds interesting though, and I've never really explored the RH mythology in reading. 

On 5/19/2019 at 3:03 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Any thought? Doesnt sound bad to me. Want to start this or Ben Kanes Forgotten Legion on Monday.

Got it on audible. I don't know if it's the guy's accent, or the author's writing style, but I am struggling to adapt so far. 

• Like 1