What are you reading? V1

Forge

After watching Good Omens, I decided I wanted to read some biblical fiction so listened to the full cast recording of Paradise Lost with Ian McDiarmid(Palpatine) voicing Satan. It's was actually a fun listen, even if some of the wording goes a bit over my head, at least for the attention I was giving it. I don't know exactly what's in the bible and what was fictionalized by Milton, but in Paradise Lost, the serpent is punished by God and condemned to crawl on the Earth for his misdeeds and trickery. What did the serpent look like and how did it get around before being punished? 

3 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

After watching Good Omens, I decided I wanted to read some biblical fiction so listened to the full cast recording of Paradise Lost with Ian McDiarmid(Palpatine) voicing Satan. It's was actually a fun listen, even if some of the wording goes a bit over my head, at least for the attention I was giving it. I don't know exactly what's in the bible and what was fictionalized by Milton, but in Paradise Lost, the serpent is punished by God and condemned to crawl on the Earth for his misdeeds and trickery. What did the serpent look like and how did it get around before being punished? 

Well, even if it all wasn't in the bible, Milton made nothing up.  He was on solid theological grounds with everything in Paradise Lost.  I would recommend reading it to anyone.  Best piece of English literature ever written.

If you like audiobooks and want more biblical fiction, Milton also wrote a very good closet drama called Samson Agonistes.  It's meant to be read and not performed, but there are parts and it's written up like a play.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Ulysses, and I have a lot of thoughts already.

3 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

What did the serpent look like and how did it get around before being punished? 

Imagine a lizard, then image a lizard without legs. 

Snakes actually used to have legs and they evolved to not having any. 

Snakes used to have legs. Now they have evolved, but the gene to grow limbs still exists. Imagine a snake that has legs but can still slither. That's how snakes used to be, and there's evidence that legs have reemerged in some snakes.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/10/snakes-grow-legs-evolution/snakes-grow-legs-evolution/

Also, @skywindO2, if you want more Biblical fiction, you absolutely have to read Pilgrim's Progress.  Although I would give Paradise Lost the edge in being better obviously, I highly prefer Pilgrim's Progress to Paradise Lost. 

For some lighter reading, I would suggest C.S. Lewis.  NOT The Chronicles of Narnia.  Chronicles of Narnia really sucks and I hate it.  With Lewis, the only one I would really recommend is The Screwtape Letters

I've never read the Left Behind series because I think it sounds stupid, but lots of people have tried getting me to read it.  It also deals with the Apocalypse and I think there are a bunch in the series. 

This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness are like Biblical thrillers kinda.  I think I read the first one and liked it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I've never read the Left Behind series because I think it sounds stupid, but lots of people have tried getting me to read it.  It also deals with the Apocalypse and I think there are a bunch in the series. 

I've read some of these, and they are bad. I think the first two or three were decent, not well written, but decent straight forward fiction. Then they became a massive, massive, massive, massive cash grab, to the point where it was one writer who took over because the other one wasn't fine ripping people off.

50 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

NOT The Chronicles of Narnia.  Chronicles of Narnia really sucks and I hate it.

I disagree with this. I think that they are well written, however, they are written for children, and they are very very heavy allegory.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, @skywindO2, if you want more Biblical fiction, you absolutely have to read Pilgrim's Progress.  Although I would give Paradise Lost the edge in being better obviously, I highly prefer Pilgrim's Progress to Paradise Lost. 

For some lighter reading, I would suggest C.S. Lewis.  NOT The Chronicles of Narnia.  Chronicles of Narnia really sucks and I hate it.  With Lewis, the only one I would really recommend is The Screwtape Letters

First of all, PP?  Gross.  I did not enjoy that one, but different strokes.

For C.S. Lewis, I'd recommend the Space Trilogy.  It's actually very interesting, and I like it way more than Chronicles of Narnia.  Never got around to The Screwtape Letters though.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 2:28 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

So far going through the GGK books.

Sarantine Mosaic - 10/10

Tigana - 4/10

Song for Arbonne - 8/10

The Lions of Al-Rassan - 7.5/10

The Last Light Of The Sun - 8.5/10

Under Heaven - 9.5/10

Upcoming - River of Stars (12th century Song Dynasty and the Jin-Song Wars)

River of Stars. A solid read. The first couple hundred pages or around that pack a little to much description for my taste since its the same land and map as the previous book. But the story revved on up and was a very solid read with some great characters developed. And no holding back this book, everyone is fair game regardless of importance.

So far going through the GGK books.

Sarantine Mosaic - 10/10

Tigana - 4/10

Song for Arbonne - 8/10

The Lions of Al-Rassan - 7.5/10

The Last Light Of The Sun - 8.5/10

Under Heaven - 9.5/10

River of Stars - 7.5/10

Upcoming - Children of Earth and Sky (Same world as Lions/Mosaic/Last Light)

On 7/18/2019 at 2:29 PM, Outpost31 said:

This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness are like Biblical thrillers kinda.  I think I read the first one and liked it. 

If you guys like biblical fiction I know of a decent 1200 page book

• Like 1