What are you reading? V1

Forge

I mean, if you actually do like the way the King James version of the bible is written, Cormac McCarthy is someone to look into.  His writing style has been compared to the KJB fairly often.

Also he's the best writer alive (except for maybe Salman Rushdie).

11 hours ago, Malfatron said:

This is how I generally feel about Stephen king in general.

Except for Revival, which is the exact opposite

For sure but the characters and the world he built in The Stand still left me really happy with the book.  The ending wasn't even bad it just kinda fell flat.  Plus learning more about one of the characters in the Dark Tower was nice.  

If anybody is interested in history after all my history reading posts, I've come to the conclusion that the best light reading for American history is in the American Presidents series of books. 

They range from 150-180 pages and are great for getting a sense not only of each President, but also the major things going on in the country at the time of their presidency. 

I've been reading these mixed with more in-depth books on points in history that I find particularly interesting (The Louisiana Purchase, Lewis and Clark's expedition, the Texas war for independence, major wars, etc). 

They also do a great job separating the myth and legend from the facts.  I also find it very interesting that while one book will paint future or past Presidents as sort of villains/antagonists, each individual book will try its best to not necessarily defend the President, but show things from their perspective. 

The most interesting ones dealt with the Adams Presidents and how the John Adams book explained John's perspective, but the Jefferson one explained Jefferson's, and then John Quincy versus Andrew Jackson. 

Right now I'm up to the Texas war for Independence, which isn't as interesting as I thought it would be. 

After that, all I have standing between me and the Civil War is:

Martin Van Buren
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler
James K. Polk
A Wicked War
Zachary Taylor
Millard Fillmore
Franklin Pierce
James Buchanon
The Impending Crisis

Then it's Civil War time. 

Edited by Outpost31

7 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Started Age of Legend by Michael J Sullivan. I'm going to be really sad when this series is done. 

2 weeks ago he hosted a AMA on Reddit r/Books.

About 4 days after I downloaded the Riyria Revelations series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/cb1tfd/ask_me_anything_ama_says_new_york_times_and_usa/

So I just finished Ulysses.  It was easier to comprehend than I thought it would be, but it took a lot of effort to get through.  It took me a little over three weeks to read, which is a long time for me.  Large parts of it were incomprehensible, and if you wanted to read it and get 100% (or even 90%) of the references, you'll need one of the reading guides.  But it can be read without one, you just have to accept that a lot is going to go over your head and plow through.

Chapters 3 and 14 are particularly difficult, but chapter 19 is surprisingly easy to read (it's a 50 page chapter with no punctuation and only 8 sentences).  And for being as dense as it is, it's also long.  My version was 783 pages.

Also, I actually enjoyed it.  The moments where you get an obscure reference or throughline (like noticing that Bloom has two arias from Don Giovanni stuck in his head) make you feel really accomplished.  The way Joyce uses stream of consciousness in the narrative is extremely impressive in the places where you can catch everything, and I get why the novel is so acclaimed.  Still, I felt that a lot of the strangeness was completely unnecessary, and didn't add to the charm or uniqueness of the novel.  For example, chapter 15 is a play, complete with stage directions that become increasingly bizarre.  And those things weighed it down.

Overall it was good, but Portrait of the Artist is way better, and if you're gonna read Joyce, I'd recommend it.

Found the first three Gunslinger books in my girlfriend's bookcase. She had never read them, I had heard they were great.

Almost done with the first book, it's pretty confusing I guess, but it's probably being purposely vague. I definitely have heard it's the weak point of the series so I'm powering through. 

On 7/24/2019 at 1:06 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

So far going through the GGK books.

Sarantine Mosaic - 10/10

Tigana - 4/10

Song for Arbonne - 8/10

The Lions of Al-Rassan - 7.5/10

The Last Light Of The Sun - 8.5/10

Under Heaven - 9.5/10

River of Stars - 7.5/10

Upcoming - Children of Earth and Sky (Same world as Lions/Mosaic/Last Light)

Children of Earth and Sky. Great tale. Basically about Constantinople had been conquered for 25 years, and the emperor feels its time to push east. Book follows the lives of those on the other side and the effects of it.

Sarantine Mosaic - 10/10

Tigana - 4/10

Song for Arbonne - 8/10

The Lions of Al-Rassan - 7.5/10

The Last Light Of The Sun - 8.5/10

Under Heaven - 9.5/10

River of Stars - 7.5/10

Children of Earth and Sky - 8/10

The last one - A Brightness Long Ago - (Story taking place in Renaissance Italy)