What are you reading? V1

Forge

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Going to head to the library tomorrow before work and start in on my new reading list. I've still got about half the Jack Reacher novels left along with the first 4 books of the Ender's Game Saga (or whatever you wanna call it) but I'm looking to switch it up and get into a variety of topics/genres. This is what I've come up with so far...

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
Dune - Frank Herbert
Grass - Sheris Tepper
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
Moneyball - Michael Lewis
Night Soldiers - Alan Furst
Red/Green/Blue Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson (Mars Trilogy)
Solaris - Stanislaw Lem
Starship Troopers - Robert A Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A Heinlein

Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. - Ron Chernow
The City & the City - China Mieville
The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson
The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
The Killer Inside Me - Jim Thompson
The Looming Tower: Al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 - Lawrence Wright
The Neon Rain - James Lee Burke
The Right Stuff - Tom Wolfe
The Stranger in the Woods - Michael Finkel
Touching the Void - Joe Simpson

Might be a bit Sci-Fi heavy but I plan on rotating topics and continuing to find new books.

I've read the bolded.  Dune I liked, but it fell short of the hype, IMO.  It's not the kind of sci fi that I generally like.

Starship Troopers is a solid read.  Very entertaining, but I don't think it's anything special.  I'd recommend it to any sci fi reader though.

Stranger in a Strange Land though is phenomenal.  If I'm making a list of my favorite sci fi books ever, it probably is second only to Ubik.  It's one of the early sci fi novels that took things in a very different direction than just space! and robots! and aliens!  Now, there are a lot of sci fi books like that, but it's a hard one to beat.

I just finished Fahrenheit 451 for the first time.  Pretty good, really short read, too.  Glad I finally got around to it, though it feels a little heavy handed today.  Still good.  Finally finishing up The Book of the New Sun next.  Not impressed with the series, but that's what happens when you buy all four books before reading one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Has anyone requested books at the library before? I was only able to find 2 of my list at my local library but other libraries around the area have them. Not sure how it works though. 

It depends on the library.  I worked in my university's library in college, and there, all you had to do was get into their system and search.  The Interlibrary Loan System makes it so you can search for a particular book, see libraries that have it and if it's available, then request it to be loaned out to your library.  Your local library might have different rules though, but I imagine that your librarian will tell you.  I think my local one has a fee for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

It depends on the library.  I worked in my university's library in college, and there, all you had to do was get into their system and search.  The Interlibrary Loan System makes it so you can search for a particular book, see libraries that have it and if it's available, then request it to be loaned out to your library.  Your local library might have different rules though, but I imagine that your librarian will tell you.  I think my local one has a fee for that.

Same for my local library.  It's super easy.  They can get any book within Ohio's public library system for free.  I can request it from the website, and a week or so later it shows up.

• Like 1

Just finished Salem's Lot on my way home last night.  I know some people don't like King due to how much extra fluff he puts in his books due to "overdescribing" people/places but I absolutely love it.  You get such an incredible sense of what kind of town Jerusalem's Lot is and the small town mindset the characters have.  He really engulfs you into the setting and by the end of the book you find yourself missing the characters and the town.

Reading a couple short stories (one set in 1850 and another that's a few years after) directly related to Salem's Lot then I'm off to finish the Dark Tower series.  Think I'm going to read A Wind Through the Keyhole next then go 5, 6, 7 as opposed to leaving it til after the series is over. 

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Now on to Chronicles? 

I dont know. Chronicles is a prequel series. Feels like they already did all their history as Revelations rolled along. How they met, their early heist, Royce in prison with the other fighting in the arenas and all. I need a little break before rehashing that.

15 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Now on to Chronicles? 

I think I will. Just grabbed them. Decided Im not done with them yet lol

Have you read "The First Empire" by Sullivan yet? Wondering if its 1 continuous story or if its just 4 separate books. I just nabbed them up too.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

14 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I think I will. Just grabbed them. Decided Im not done with them yet lol

Have you read "The First Empire" by Sullivan yet? Wondering if its 1 continuous story or if its just 4 separate books. I just nabbed them up too.

It's a continuous story that takes place about 1000 years before Chronicles and Revelations. There's still 2 coming but this isn't like GRRM, they're definitely going to be released next year.

Chronicles are technically stand alone stories but I think they're best read in publication order. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1