What are you reading? V1

Forge

I just finished Mistborn and I'm glad I read it but don't know how to feel about it yet.

I loved a lot about his book. Most of the characters were great, the plot was a bit unique, loved the worldbuilding, and the magic system was amazing! However, I could never get over the fact that they made Eland the King after they killed the Lord Ruler. That still never made sense to me and I don't think it ever will. I wish it did. I just didn't like him or how Vin would do anything for him (until the end) and he usually wouldn't. It made large chunks of the books 2 & 3 hard to get through even though I loved the premise of the series. Also, I wasn't a huge fan of some of the political "wars". They seemed dull and kinda pointless. 

I'm excited to read more Sanderson (although not as excited as I was before this series) but I hope he doesn't write a lot of romance in them. It's not his strong suit. 

Edited by Oregon Ducks

Shrugged off First Law due to a busy holiday and took on something lighter. Yesterdays Gone.  600 pages in and enjoying it.

Apocalyptic style. Where people know how 90% of the world vanished, but no clue as to what cause it. With these diseased humans/mega zombie types running around making up a good 9% more of the population.

Like most in this genre. The good guys are goodie to the point of DBagorie. And the bad guys are awesome. Boricio the evil Cajun killer easily becomes favorite character. And was so in all the Amazon reviews I read on it too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 9:22 PM, MikeT14 said:

It’s literally like Hunger Games banged Dune so far. I like it. 

On 12/10/2019 at 12:10 AM, Oregon Ducks said:

I’m intrigued.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:15 AM, theJ said:

Even my wife, who really doesn't like sci fi, couldn't put the book down.

They're good.

Finished it. It was excellent. Tees up really well for book 2. 

• Like 2

Rereading the first book of the Stormlight Archives as my wife got me the first three books of the series (4 is coming out this year). I  had previously listened to it which means I'm sure I missed a little bit. The series is really enjoyable from listening and rereading it has been good. I'd love an epic TV show this.

On 12/17/2019 at 8:03 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Entering the First Law series leading into Christmas. My first read of any Joe Abercrombies works.

Didn't see this post a while ago but Joe Abercrombie and the First Law series/world is great. Probably my favorite cast of characters in any series. I think the stand alones that come after are better. I'm torn on if I liked Best Served Cold and The Heroes is the most. Red Country I have comfortably third but I think I still liked it more than the trilogy. But I can't emphasis enough that I still loved the trilogy, they're all very high on my re-read list. Steven Pacey on Audible is so perfect for this series. He also has Sharp Ends, a collection of short stories from the First Law world and a followup trilogy just started. I'm about 2/3rds into A Little Hatred. 

Wasn't a big fan of his YA Shattered Sea (Half a...) series but it wasn't bad either. The second book in particular I likedd

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Rereading the first book of the Stormlight Archives as my wife got me the first three books of the series (4 is coming out this year). I  had previously listened to it which means I'm sure I missed a little bit. The series is really enjoyable from listening and rereading it has been good. I'd love an epic TV show this.

Who has the special effects budget for something like this?

Got burnt out on reading history.  My fault for insisting on reading up on every US President.  Soon as I hit Pierce I got so bored with it I just lost interest.  I’m going to go into horror to get back into reading, and then I think I’ll just skip Pierce and Buchanan and go right to Lincoln/Civil War.

Until then, does anybody have any epic horror to recommend?  

• 2 weeks later...

Part my new year’s resolution this year was to get back into reading books. I had maybe read 3 books over the last 6 years total.

So I’ve put a modest goal of 24 total works for the year. I know it’s not a lot, but it’s significantly more than I’ve done in years. Already 4 books down for the year, and about 15% into a 5th. That’s on pace for 89 books, which I know definitely won’t happen, but it’s been fun to get back into the spirit of reading again and I think I might actually end up revising my total goal to 50 or so, as long as I keep to it.

Currently in the middle of Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pwny said:

Part my new year’s resolution this year was to get back into reading books. I had maybe read 3 books over the last 6 years total.

So I’ve put a modest goal of 24 total works for the year. I know it’s not a lot, but it’s significantly more than I’ve done in years. Already 4 books down for the year, and about 15% into a 5th. That’s on pace for 89 books, which I know definitely won’t happen, but it’s been fun to get back into the spirit of reading again and I think I might actually end up revising my total goal to 50 or so, as long as I keep to it.

Currently in the middle of Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House.

Best way I got back into it was not caring if I read for pleasure or for learning. Tried telling myself that as an adult I should be reading history books and nonfiction, but it bores the crap out of me. So now I just stick to Sanderson and the likes.

19 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Best way I got back into it was not caring if I read for pleasure or for learning. Tried telling myself that as an adult I should be reading history books and nonfiction, but it bores the crap out of me. So now I just stick to Sanderson and the likes.

This is the basic plan I’m going with. Reading solely stuff I’m interested in and not just the stuff I’m *supposed to* read. Started with Amy Poehler’s autobiography and a couple books by Questlove. Now I’m going to go through some horror books because that’s what I liked as a kid (Goosebumps). Then I’ll probably try the Discworld series soon and see how that goes as well.

And the better half and I have set aside some time to read before bed. Like old people.