Jump to content
Forge

What are you reading? V1

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Think Erikson even said the best way is by release of his 10 main books. So I'm just reading the Book of the Fallen in the order they were released. 

Im aiming to start the series after Legends of the First Empire wraps up May 5th.

Planning on going this route.

c2wtOM5.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have not read Sanderson but have been meaning to... Currently re-reading Earthsea, Ursula K. LeGuin's classic (haven't read it in over 30 years). Nothing beats Tolkien, though. I've read those at least 3 times each. 

Big fan of the original Ludlum and Clancy novels (not the stuff continued by other writers). Love Dean Koontz as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting up this puppy. Chime in if youve checked it out. 4.6* at Amazon. 74% 5* reviews. 14% 4*. Sounds like a decent time killer till May 5th to me.

51R9SCYYPPL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 3:12 PM, Daniel said:

About to wrap up the Foundation series and start Mistborn.  It'll be interesting to see if Sanderson lives up to the hype.

I'm almost done with the first Foundation book but it's hard to get through. That lack of character development is hard for me, but maybe classic sci-fi is just not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Starting up this puppy. Chime in if youve checked it out. 4.6* at Amazon. 74% 5* reviews. 14% 4*. Sounds like a decent time killer till May 5th to me.

51R9SCYYPPL.jpg

Read the first one. Haven’t been able to find the others when I go to a bookstore and forget to look when I go to Powells. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I'm almost done with the first Foundation book but it's hard to get through. That lack of character development is hard for me, but maybe classic sci-fi is just not for me.

It's kind of a hallmark of the series.  It's a sociological story more than a character driven one.  It's about groups, which is one thing that makes it so cool.  In the second and third books, you spend more time with individual characters though.  Good series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Read the first one. Haven’t been able to find the others when I go to a bookstore and forget to look when I go to Powells. 

What are your thoughts on it?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

What are your thoughts on it?

 

 

It was fine. I liked it but it’s Not going to do anything the genre hasn’t done before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Read the first one. Haven’t been able to find the others when I go to a bookstore and forget to look when I go to Powells. 

It's okay, the other trilogy is better imo. Reading that one first is probably correct but he wrote another one that takes place over the same period as this one and I found it much more enjoyable.

It's really dark and gritty but not really in a positive way. Just comes across as edgy to me. Jorg is an insufferable protagonist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

It's okay, the other trilogy is better imo. Reading that one first is probably correct but he wrote another one that takes place over the same period as this one and I found it much more enjoyable.

It's really dark and gritty but not really in a positive way. Just comes across as edgy to me. Jorg is an insufferable protagonist.

Whats the other series called? Is it the Red Queens War one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Whats the other series called? Is it the Red Queens War one?

Yeah, I thought that series was great. 

Book of the Ancestor(Red Sister is the first one) is Lawrence's best work imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Audiobooks are so much more intense when you listen to them at 2x speed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyty said:

Audiobooks are so much more intense when you listen to them at 2x speed

Or drunk speed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 10:46 PM, Daniel said:

It's kind of a hallmark of the series.  It's a sociological story more than a character driven one.  It's about groups, which is one thing that makes it so cool.  In the second and third books, you spend more time with individual characters though.  Good series.

Yeah, I thought the first finished pretty well. The constant jumping of characters/ages was a little annoying as I was just getting fond of certain characters. Maybe epic fantasy has spoiled me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Yeah, I thought the first finished pretty well. The constant jumping of characters/ages was a little annoying as I was just getting fond of certain characters. Maybe epic fantasy has spoiled me.

Speaking of which, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the first Mistborn book.  Pretty good so far, I have to say.  I think the protagonist is a little extra, but so far I've enjoyed the read.  I'll probably finish the series during quarantine, but A Separate Peace is up next for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×