What are you reading? V1

Forge

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

Speaking of which, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the first Mistborn book.  Pretty good so far, I have to say.  I think the protagonist is a little extra, but so far I've enjoyed the read.  I'll probably finish the series during quarantine, but A Separate Peace is up next for me.

I love the ending of that book. The first Mistborn is my favorite.

On 4/1/2020 at 1:35 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Read the first one. Haven’t been able to find the others when I go to a bookstore and forget to look when I go to Powells. 

In the 2nd book now... The main story itself is great. But the filler is a chore to wade through.

Currently. Battle kicked off strong, got a lot happening as its building up steam. Suddenly. Jorg spends a chapter daydreaming about climbing a mountain, seeing some goat. Followed by chapters of the normal, "Four years earlier." Starting the 3rd "Four Years Earlier" chapter and took a break to type this. Getting a bit fed up as I want to read the battle.

1 or 2 chapters I can deal with. But to stop in the middle of a fight for 40-50 pages, however many its been when its only a 1100 page series. Is far to much filler. And this series does it frequently.

I vouch anything Mistborn related.

I reread A Memory of Light last month and have been on a Sanderson kick lately. I bought Elantris but haven’t started yet. I’m debating whether I was to read the first era of the Mistborn books.

Edited by Lefty

On 4/10/2020 at 4:58 AM, Lefty said:

I vouch anything Mistborn related.

I reread A Memory of Light last month and have been on a Sanderson kick lately. I bought Elantris but haven’t started yet. I’m debating whether I was to read the first era of the Mistborn books.

Sanderson disciple here.  Agreed, I love Mistborn. But I have to say that the later books pale in comparison to the original trilogy.  Still worth a read.  As for Elantris, I can definitely tell that it's his first novel.  A fine story that fans should read, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starter for people looking to get into Sanderson.

8 minutes ago, fraziafraze07 said:

Sanderson disciple here.  Agreed, I love Mistborn. But I have to say that the later books pale in comparison to the original trilogy.  Still worth a read.  As for Elantris, I can definitely tell that it's his first novel.  A fine story that fans should read, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starter for people looking to get into Sanderson.

The first trilogy is hard to follow. I’ve read all the way up through Bands of Mourning in the second era. I have the first two books of the Stormlight Archive but have just been sitting on them to let more come out before I really start to invest time in them. I hate waiting for the next book  xD

On 4/4/2020 at 9:47 PM, Daniel said:

Speaking of which, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the first Mistborn book.  Pretty good so far, I have to say.  I think the protagonist is a little extra, but so far I've enjoyed the read.  I'll probably finish the series during quarantine, but A Separate Peace is up next for me.

Save yourself. The worst book I've ever read. 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Save yourself. The worst book I've ever read. 

I think the worst I've ever read is A Sad Affair.  But that's just off the top of my head.  If I thought hard, I could maybe come up with more.  What did you hate about it?  I'm only 60 pages in, so I don't have any strong feelings yet, but it's super short.

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think the worst I've ever read is A Sad Affair.  But that's just off the top of my head.  If I thought hard, I could maybe come up with more.  What did you hate about it?  I'm only 60 pages in, so I don't have any strong feelings yet, but it's super short.

It's a book about unrequited gay teenage love, in which two events take place in the entire book. 

Now imagine you're an engineering student stuck in a horrendous freshman literature class. Due to the religious nature of the university that you're attending, the professor is not allowed to discuss that the book is about unrequited gay teenage love and instead is going to spend 12 weeks talking about a 236 page book that, again to reiterate, NOTHING HAPPENS.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's a book about unrequited gay teenage love, in which two events take place in the entire book. 

Now imagine you're an engineering student stuck in a horrendous freshman literature class. Due to the religious nature of the university that you're attending, the professor is not allowed to discuss that the book is about unrequited gay teenage love and instead is going to spend 12 weeks talking about a 236 page book that, again to reiterate, NOTHING HAPPENS.

Fair enough.  Apparently the author said there's no implied gay love in the book.  Which makes me wonder if he actually read it...