What are you reading? V1

Forge

18 hours ago, Tyty said:

I’m on to Dark Matter. Starts with him talking to his buddy about how he had so much potential as a scientist but became a teacher instead. Sounds kinda familiar. 

It’s pretty intriguing so far but it’s guilty of something I was always anxious about in writing in first person. Every sentence is “I” this and “me” that. 

On 4/20/2020 at 7:19 PM, Tyty said:

It’s pretty intriguing so far but it’s guilty of something I was always anxious about in writing in first person. Every sentence is “I” this and “me” that. 

Dark Matter was amazing. The last half of the book is tense 

8 hours ago, Tyty said:

I think I need a new modern thriller after that one. 

No Country for Old Men.  If you haven't read it already.  Not McCarthy's best book (which still means it's better than 99.9% of other author's best book), but a thriller, and fairly recent.

34 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No Country for Old Men.  If you haven't read it already.  Not McCarthy's best book (which still means it's better than 99.9% of other author's best book), but a thriller, and fairly recent.

Already done did that one. The Road is one I have in front of me I’m considering but I’m trying to figure out if I have one similar to dark matter so I stay in the same vein 

4 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Already done did that one. The Road is one I have in front of me I’m considering but I’m trying to figure out if I have one similar to dark matter so I stay in the same vein 

Yeah, The Road is....dark.  Even by McCarthy standards.  No Country is his only book that I'd call a thriller though.

Finished the second Mistborn book today. Sanderson is living up to the hype. The dude knows storycraft. I see why he teaches.

Starting Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K ****. Read some of his other books before and liked or loved all of them. It’s kinda surprising I haven’t gotten to this one yet.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is good, but I was pretty surprised how different it was from Blade Runner.  Not ****'s best work, but a good one.  I was really surprised that the question of whether or not Decker was an android made no appearance in the book outside of a couple of chapters showing he was being duped.  If you like the movie, read the book.  It's more different than most adaptations.

Now onto finishing Mistborn.  Starting the third book today.