What are you reading? V1

Forge

Wrapped up the 2nd Mistborn book, Well of Ascension.

Overall, I really liked the book,  however, I felt like part of the game ended a little bit too on the nose, and the other part was a big old bait and switch. Overall though, the intrigue and political parts of the book were so well done.

I'm a ways through the 3rd Mistborn book. Feels like it dropped off and everything is going bad to at least some level. I expect there to be a solid redeeming bit at the end. Brandon Sanderson is generally pretty good for that.

EDIT 1/31:

Finished up the first trilogy. I liked the series and I feel like Brandon Sanderson wrapped it up well. It is definitely a series where you have to look at the second and third books as one otherwise neither of them as good, and it feels like it stretches on in the middle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse.  Some intense philosophical musings.

Finished reading recently:

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer  Very cool concept but doesn't seem anything like the movie coming out.

Bird Box by Josh Malerman  Intense post-apocalyptic story of a world where you can't look outside 

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut.  Classic time-travel, existential, WWII story.  

• 1 month later...

I just finished The Dragon Reborn (third in the Wheel of Time series), and I've had it. I'd say three 600+ page doorstoppers qualifies as more than giving a series a chance, and I am just not into it. Definitely not slogging through the other eleven (?) or so books.

3 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Just finished The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck for the first time.  Phenomenal story - really puts you into the depression era.  You feel it viscerally.  I'd put it in my top 10 novels of all-time.  

Beautiful book. I don't know if it'd be in my top ten, but there's so many Steinbeck novels that could compete for a spot there, I probably couldn't choose. Check out The Wayward Bus, Of Mice and Men, East of Eden, or To A God Unknown if you want to read some more of his stuff. Avoid The Pearl and Tortilla Flats. 

• Like 1