What are you reading? V1

Forge

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm reading 1776 by David McCullough right now.  I really like it, but I don't like how it's so centered on minuscule details and minutiae of the armies and people.  I was hoping it was more of an all-inclusive book on the American Revolution.  Can anybody please recommend the best all-inclusive book on the American Revolution that reads like 1776, not like a textbook? 

Right now the leading candidate for my next read is Almost A Miracle: The American Victory in the War for Independence. 

Ideally, I'd like more on the actual Founding Fathers in their efforts to write the Declaration as well as battles and other significant points in the whole thing. 

Would also like similar recommendations on other points in American / World History. 

Would also be interested in engaging biographies on important historical figures, especially United States Presidents (particularly George Washington). 

@vike daddy, I think you like this sort of book.  Also, I think @incognito_man

He doesn't write about the Revolutionary War as he's more Civil War era, but Eric Foner's books are amazing. Loved The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery. It was a really interesting look at Lincoln and how his view on slavery developed over the course of his career.

Y'all, I might get banned for this but I just finished Dune and I don't get the hype...

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I only thought it was a decent book. I want to keep reading because the world is really interesting but the characters are not very likable IMO. Paul is close to insufferable. 

Edited by Oregon Ducks

5 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Y'all, I might get banned for this but I just finished Dune and I don't get the hype...

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I only thought it was a decent book. I want to keep reading because the world is really interesting but the characters are not very likable IMO. Paul is close to insufferable. 

So I am listening to it on audio. I am probably 60% through with it. The world is extremely interesting, but THANK YOU. Paul is insufferable. What a great word for it. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 4:53 AM, MikeT14 said:

So I am listening to it on audio. I am probably 60% through with it. The world is extremely interesting, but THANK YOU. Paul is insufferable. What a great word for it. 

I would love to hear your thoughts when you finish it. 

I'm deciding how to proceed. Should I read the next one written or start at the beginning chronologically (with the Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson books)?

3 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I would love to hear your thoughts when you finish it. 

I'm deciding how to proceed. Should I read the next one written or start at the beginning chronologically (with the Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson books)?

IMO they only get worse.  The Brian Herbert ones are just weird and bad.

And that comes from a guy who kind of liked the first one.

• Like 1

Starting either Mark Lawrence's Red Sister or Brent Weeks' Black Prism next. Anyone read either of these?

Leaning toward the former. I thought Lawrence's The Broken Empire trilogy was okay and I loved the Red Queen's War trilogy from the same fantasy world I'm interested in his next attempt at world building. I've also heard Weeks improved a lot as a writer from Night Angel to Lightbringer. 

Finished 1776 and now I am obsessed with the American Revolution.  First, why in TF is there like one American Revolution movie in the past 20 years and like 97 WW2 movies over that same period? 

First, I can't say enough about the book.  It was fascinating, engaging, never felt like reading a textbook and did an incredible job of not fancifying or exaggerating things and sticking only to verifiable proof of what happened, what was said, what was felt from Washington to his closest advisors to the Continental Congress to the British generals. 

It also made the Headless Horseman in Sleepy Hollow make sense because before this I did not know what a Hessian was. 

I'd strongly recommend it to anybody remotely interested in American History, or even World History. 

I just ordered:

John Adams by David McCullough
Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation
Patriots: The Men Who Started the American Revolution
The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France and the Birth of America
Bunker Hill: A City, A Siege, a Revolution
Paul Revere's Ride
Almost a Miracle: The American Victory in the War of Indenendence
Signing Their Lives Away: The Fame and Misfortune of the Men Who Signed the Declaration of Independence
Washington: A Life (by recommendation, thanks @incognito_man,)

And I'll follow it all up with 1812: The War that Forged a Nation

After that, I'll probably just focus on biographies on a few select presidents before I dive into the Civil War. 

8 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

^^ Might as well read Hamilton too ;) 

Haven't read it but it's also written by Chernow. 

It's really good, but it's dense. Took me the better part of 3 months to get through, and I'm not a slow reader. 

The Rise & Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany

I've had this damn book for going on 14 years now and I still can't make any progress on it. I'm super intrigued by WW2 but, my lord, this thing might as well be a textbook. It's super informational but it's just not good reading. Every. Little. Hitler. Detail. is in this thing. xD

However, I plan on reading the Ender's Game books soon. Anybody recommend them?

Edited by beekay414

While I wait for my American Revolution books to come in, I'm re-reading State of Fear by Michael Crichton.  It's probably one of his better books and it feels like it was written yesterday rather than 2004.  If you've ever liked more than one Michael Crichton novel, I'd highly recommend this one. 

Out of all the Crichton novels I've read, I'd rank them:

1. Jurassic Park
2. Prey
3. Micro
4. State of Fear
5. Timeline
6. Sphere
7. Congo
8. Eaters of the Dead
9. Next
10. The Lost World