What are you reading? V1

Forge

On 11/25/2019 at 7:58 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

ASOIAF has messed me up on trying to get into unfinished works. Stormlight isnt to conclude until 2030 or so is it? 

Im waiting till May for the last book to be released before I even begin "Legends of the First Empire" by Michael Sullivan. Which is a 6 book series that takes place in the same world as his Riyria Revelations/Chronicles.

I don't read that series that haven't finished either, unless they're only loosely connected.

A good example would be Ken Follett's Century Trilogy.  You can read just one of those and it's fine.  Or you can read all three and each one references the last.  I stopped on two with that one because WWI and WWII historical fiction held my interest.  The last one doesn't have a central backdrop like that, and i've heard that Ken has a more personal slant in this last one.

Anyway, Sullivan's stuff is great.  I'm also waiting for that last book to come out before i start that series.

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

The 13th warrior by the author of Jurassic Park

Everybody knows who Michael Crichton is.  You could have just said that.  That’s like saying The Casual Vacancy by the author of Harry Potter.

Edited by Outpost31

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Just started Red Rising. 

Loved that series.  Probably one of my top three book series i've read.  I'm always a little jealous of people that get to read it for the first time.  There's nothing like the suspense Pierce Brown builds in those books. 

My only words of advice - power through the first 1/3 of the first book.  It starts slow, but it gets much better afterward.

I'm anxiously awaiting the final book in the Iron Gold series.

• Like 1

Wrapped up The Lost World (Dr Challenger #1) a few nights ago. It's definitely a book of it's time, but it also has some humor like you find in Douglas Adams work, which was interesting for the difference in when the books were written.

Now I started The Islands of Chaldea, thus far the plot seems pretty simple for the length of the book. It is definitely targeting that same age range as earlier Harry Potter books.

1 minute ago, skywindO2 said:

I'm almost done with the first book but not really loving it.

Red Rising series was great, especially Golden Son. 

That one was my favorite too.  The ending to that book is exactly why i don't read series before they're fully released, haha.

What is it about Iron Gold that isn't doing it for you?  I'm guessing there's a lot more political stuff, less of the wrecking ball Darrow from the first series?