What are you reading? V1

Forge

Entering Age of Legend.

Wondering if I should even bother finishing. Starts off strong with great characters. And by end of Age of Legend. Its best has been dragged through the mud, rendered secondary, beaten down and belittled to the point hes basically, "Just go ahead and kill me, get me outta this tale."  Which at least he had that going for him.

Whats left is the biggest batch of unlikable dbags imaginable to finish off. Knowing from Revelations and Chronicles the 2 least likable characters Ive ever read win the whole works. Its like Sullivan wrote the first 2 books. And D&D took over. Thats the amount of dropoff in these characters.

6 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Entering Age of Legend.

Wondering if I should even bother finishing. Starts off strong with great characters. And by end of Age of Legend. Its best has been dragged through the mud, rendered secondary, beaten down and belittled to the point hes basically, "Just go ahead and kill me, get me outta this tale."  Which at least he had that going for him.

Whats left is the biggest batch of unlikable dbags imaginable to finish off. Knowing from Revelations and Chronicles the 2 least likable characters Ive ever read win the whole works. Its like Sullivan wrote the first 2 books. And D&D took over. Thats the amount of dropoff in these characters.

He's just setting it up for the comeback*

*I haven't read the books yet.

8 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I love that part of it. In the "modern" times, Nyphron is heralded as the hero for humanity but really he was just a huge **** with a personal grudge. 

I think if you enjoyed the other Riyria books, I think it's definitely worth reading for the all the little easter eggs. I love the whole cast of characters. It's a big group and I think they all interact well.

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I love that part of it. In the "modern" times, Nyphron is heralded as the hero for humanity but really he was just a huge **** with a personal grudge. 

I think if you enjoyed the other Riyria books, I think it's definitely worth reading for the all the little easter eggs. I love the whole cast of characters. It's a big group and I think they all interact well.

I loved the other books. Im in it now for Gifford, Tressa and Mawyndulë. And want to see something like what happened to Nyphs dad, happen to Moya. And pretty much everyone else.

3 more books of watching someone like Nyph become so big they devote a religion to him? I am not seeing whats to love.

5 hours ago, theJ said:

*I haven't read the books yet.

Dont. Its like watching Season 8 GOT. Seeing Dany after the bells ring. Then Arya after surviving being near burned to death in KL thinking. "Ya know. We should build churches to worship that girl as a god. Shes so great!"

Thats basically the mindset of everyone.

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Dont. Its like watching Season 8 GOT. Seeing Dany after the bells ring. Then Arya after surviving being near burned to death in KL thinking. "Ya know. We should build churches to worship that girl as a god. Shes so great!"

Thats basically the mindset of everyone.

Oh i liked Sullivan's other stuff enough that i will read it, eventually.  You can't stop that from happening.

Currently reading A Column of Fire, the last book in the Kingsbridge series.

Loved the other two.  Most boring sounding premise ever, but full of suspense and intrigue.  Highly recommended.

They are really long.  I typically move through 30-40 books/year, but the other two took me a solid 3 weeks to finish.  And they're emotionally draining enough that i can't go right to the next one without waiting 6 months.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Currently reading A Column of Fire, the last book in the Kingsbridge series.

Loved the other two.  Most boring sounding premise ever, but full of suspense and intrigue.  Highly recommended.

They are really long.  I typically move through 30-40 books/year, but the other two took me a solid 3 weeks to finish.  And they're emotionally draining enough that i can't go right to the next one without waiting 6 months.

Tom Builder might be my favorite character of all times. Loved the whole series. But Pillars is special.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 9:19 AM, skywindO2 said:

Rain!... Thats my digger!

Im feeling better about things now passed The Great Rain chapter.

I started the apocalyptic thriller Last Survivors by Bobby Adair. Was the series he wrote before he wrote Slow Burn. Slow Burn was amazing and sits at 5*s after 760 reviews on Amazon. Last Survivors sat at 4.5* through 260 reviews. So thought it might come close. So far its not in the same league as Slow Burn. Surprised the same guy wrote both.

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Halfway through book 9 of Malazan series. One of my favorite characters bit the dust. I have a sad. 

Curious as to the order youre reading them. By release date, story timeline, Eriksons main 10 books and address Esslemonts contributions after. Seen all different ways listed in how to go about reading them.

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I started the apocalyptic thriller Last Survivors by Bobby Adair. Was the series he wrote before he wrote Slow Burn. Slow Burn was amazing and sits at 5*s after 760 reviews on Amazon. Last Survivors sat at 4.5* through 260 reviews. So thought it might come close. So far its not in the same league as Slow Burn. Surprised the same guy wrote both.

Curious as to the order youre reading them. By release date, story timeline, Eriksons main 10 books and address Esslemonts contributions after. Seen all different ways listed in how to go about reading them.

Think Erikson even said the best way is by release of his 10 main books. So I'm just reading the Book of the Fallen in the order they were released. 

• Like 1