What are you reading? V1

Forge

Just finished Replay by Ken Grimwood.  About a guy at the age of 43 who dies of a heart attack, then wakes up in his college dorm room as the 18 year old version of himself.  Pretty cool book that will lead you to question the nature of your existence.  

Edited by JLambert58

On 9/30/2017 at 12:40 PM, JLambert58 said:

Just finished Replay by Ken Grimwood.  About a guy at the age of 43 who dies of a heart attack, then wakes up in his college dorm room as the 18 year old version of himself.  Pretty cool book that will lead you to question the nature of your existence.  

That sounds interesting - how is it written? As a comedy? More serious in tone? I think I'd be interested in it if it were more serious in tone. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

That sounds interesting - how is it written? As a comedy? More serious in tone? I think I'd be interested in it if it were more serious in tone. 

It is interesting.  It's serious in tone.  In fact, it made me wonder a couple times if the author had actually had the experience himself.  (that's how realistic it felt)

• Like 1

I've been using Amazon Prime to read through random free books on my kindle:

Spaceship Grifter - Really fun, tongue in cheek absurd book that runs really really well.

Awaken Online: Catharsis - I'll give the person props for their first book for trying to tackle something heavy. However, it feels like a bad anime a lot of the time and the actions of the character don't really explain their sudden change. Was an interesting concept, just not executed that well.

Daughter of Smoke and Bones (trilogy) - Each book had their own unique flaw, with that, however, they were a really interesting take on fantasy that I hadn't read before, and I liked it a lot.

Currently reading: The Crimson Queen - It's a fantasy series (probably trilogy). Thus far, the first book seems a bit rushed in everything that it is doing, and I'm not sure they are doing a good job building up sympathy for the characters as well as they should be.

On 10/2/2017 at 7:46 AM, JLambert58 said:
On 10/2/2017 at 12:27 AM, Forge said:

It is interesting.  It's serious in tone.  In fact, it made me wonder a couple times if the author had actually had the experience himself.  (that's how realistic it felt)

I've read it too.  About 5 years ago.  I gave it a 4/5 stars on Goodreads.  It's a good book.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2017 at 8:11 AM, MikeT14 said:

I have about 40 pages of The Name of the Wind left and then it is off to book 2

Okay so I am about 350 pages into Book 2. Very minor spoilers ahead.

He's been in school the whole time until now. Every minute detail has been laid out until now. But in a couple recent chapters, the author has had at least two where he skips over what sounds like incredible events (the trial for one) as a footnote. It kind of bothers me. Anyone else that read it feel this way? Also where are we for book 3?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He's been in school the whole time until now. Every minute detail has been laid out until now. But in a couple recent chapters, the author has had at least two where he skips over what sounds like incredible events (the trial for one) as a footnote. It kind of bothers me. Anyone else that read it feel this way? Also where are we for book 3?

Book three, who knows, unfortunately.

With book two, it isn't as good as the first one which follows details much more linearly, the second one bounces around more. I don't mind it because it is supposed to be what Kvothe thinks is the most important in shaping who he has become, and while people would care about the trial and want to know what happened about it, it seems like it was overblown (is what he implied) and really didn't shape him as much as the legend would suggest.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Book three, who knows, unfortunately.

With book two, it isn't as good as the first one which follows details much more linearly, the second one bounces around more. I don't mind it because it is supposed to be what Kvothe thinks is the most important in shaping who he has become, and while people would care about the trial and want to know what happened about it, it seems like it was overblown (is what he implied) and really didn't shape him as much as the legend would suggest.

Fair points. I think maybe more than anything I was just kinda like "what?". It seemed like such a change of pace all of a sudden. Like the author was like okay I have been at school wayyyyy too long. Let's get out of here and quick.

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Fair points. I think maybe more than anything I was just kinda like "what?". It seemed like such a change of pace all of a sudden. Like the author was like okay I have been at school wayyyyy too long. Let's get out of here and quick.

Yeah, that is my biggest knock on the second book, it starts to become segmented, which kind of makes sense in terms of the narrator that it set-up for the book, but it does feel quite different from the first book and not as strong. It's been said that the second book kind of feels like a D&D campaign where you hop around from quest to quest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Okay so I am about 350 pages into Book 2. Very minor spoilers ahead.

Probably never gonna get it. 

I don't remember it too much, I've been meaning to re-read The Wise Man's Fear since re-reading The Name of the Wind a few years ago. I think as a whole, the second book dragged on at times. A lot of events go on way longer than necessary, maybe as a result some were cut short, like @The Gnat said, it's probably the unreliable narrator. It's a really long book too, so maybe that contributes to it somewhat. Even though I liked it less, it built on the mythos of the world much more than the first book and added a lot of depth to the world. Something about the way Rothfuss writes had me hanging on every word. 

Between Devi, Mola, and Fela, I can't figure out why Kvothe is so obsessed with Denna.

3 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Between Devi, Mola, and Fela, I can't figure out why Kvothe is so obsessed with Denna.

100% the case, that is probably my least favorite aspect of the books, it isn't logical at all, and the amount of time he actually see Denna and the gaps in time, and just who Kvothe seems to be...

What I like about how Rothfuss has been writing these books, and while it is an issue with the 2nd book seemingly, he spends his time doing world building only when he needs to, when it matters to Kvothe. There aren't any real knowledge dump moments as compared to so many fantasy books. It feels refreshing to read a book where you don't have a random chunk of history of  the world thrown in because it'll be important later, but who knows how much later, and why did we need 4 chapters of this history when only five sentences of it matter to the story, and who is telling us this backstory you damn authors!