What are you reading? V1

Forge

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Same reason i've never read it.  About 6 books in a series feels like the limit for me.  I just can't imagine it being worth it after that.

Yep. Just did the 10 books for Malazan Book of the Fallen. Loved them but I started to tire of them at around 6 or 7 

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

Is WOT worth reading?  15 books is an enormous commitment.  That's like almost half of the books I read in a normal year.  But I know it's supposed to be a big deal.

It’s the best series I’ve ever read. 100% worth the read, especially since a show is coming and it’s complete.

Here's a good video about it:

Edited by Oregon Ducks

• 2 weeks later...

It’s stupefying how much of d*ckbag Harry Potter was. He was an orphan with a *****y life that wasn’t going to get any better but then randomly he learns he’s a wizard and is going to discover a fascinating new world but then he goes on to be the *****iest student in his class and hates doing schoolwork, which is about magic and ****. 

12 hours ago, Tyty said:

It’s stupefying how much of d*ckbag Harry Potter was. He was an orphan with a *****y life that wasn’t going to get any better but then randomly he learns he’s a wizard and is going to discover a fascinating new world but then he goes on to be the *****iest student in his class and hates doing schoolwork, which is about magic and ****. 

I haven't read the books, but I have been forced to watch all the movies, and yeah.  It seems like he just kinda tags along while Hermione does everything while still sucking up to him about how great a wizard he is.  Pretty sure he only knows the one spell, except the one time in the third movie.

Finished The Silmarillion today.  Tough reading in the beginning, since creation myths don't really make page turners and he gave every character like six names.  Better at the end, when we get to the fall of Numenor and the prelude to the war with Sauron.  Interesting read, in some ways, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't really like LOTR.

Starting The Picture of Dorian Gray now, then I start the Jemisen series (Inheritance, not Broken Earth).  After that, I don't know.  There are several I'd like to read, but my local library does not have any of the ones I really want.  May do Portrait of the Artist again.  Haven't read it since college.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Finished The Silmarillion today.  Tough reading in the beginning, since creation myths don't really make page turners and he gave every character like six names.  Better at the end, when we get to the fall of Numenor and the prelude to the war with Sauron.  Interesting read, in some ways, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't really like LOTR.

Starting The Picture of Dorian Gray now, then I start the Jemisen series (Inheritance, not Broken Earth).  After that, I don't know.  There are several I'd like to read, but my local library does not have any of the ones I really want.  May do Portrait of the Artist again.  Haven't read it since college.

I am also reading the inheritance series but the eragon variety

On 4/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, theJ said:

Did you finish it yet?  It's my favorite book series of all time.  I think i blew through the series in 3 weeks.  Just couldn't put it down.

Starting Book 3 today. WHAT AN ENDING TO TWO. I was waiting for something like to happen.

was one hundred percent on edge expecting Mustang's head to be in that box

• 2 weeks later...

So this has been dead for a bit.  Some updates on my reading list:

Finished The Picture of Dorian Gray some time back.  Hated it.  It's pretty much just a straight up allegory about art for art's sake with witty dialogue.  Would not recommend.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was next.  Pretty good.  It was well written mostly, but it had some pretty serious flaws that were hard to overlook.  You could tell that it's a first novel.  I look forward to reading more of her stuff though, I can see how she grew into a very acclaimed author.  Will probably read the sequel after I finish Portrait.

Right now I'm on A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.  Read it in college for my modern British fiction class, and liked t then, but haven't returned to it.  Now I've read more of Joyce, so hopefully I'll be able to get more out of it on reread.