What are you reading? V1

Forge

On 1/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, Ty21 said:

Blake Crouch is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Dark Matter was a book I bought on a whim, not knowing anything about the author and I thought it was great. I bought the first two Wayward Pines books and I’m almost done with the second now and they’ve been great too so far. I bought Recursion which will be next on the docket and I’ll probably get a couple more books by him because he’s impressed me with everything I’ve read so far. 

I never watched the wayward pines tv show but just by judging a book by its cover I wish it hadn’t been handled by Fox. It could’ve caught steam on HBO or showtime or something. I’d say Netflix but when does Netflix ever let an original go longer than two seasons anyway

Dark Matter was incredible. I loved it. Wayward Pines was a mixed bag for me. Loved the first book, but it slowly tapered off for me. Recursion is good too. 

Recursion was super good, I enjoyed it. I’m fascinated atm with time travel, Mandela effect, and advantaged tech so it scratched an itch for sure and was well written like everything Crouch does. Wasn’t familiar with “CERN” before reading it and I’ve seen CERN several places online on accident since so maybe CERN, which is potentially responsible for Mandela effects, is a Mandela effect itself in my mind lol. 9/10

27 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I finished The Institute by stephen king

its a very good read.

I thought I was a slow reader but have found that the last two months in which I’ve read 300 page books, I fly through em. The Stephen King streak was my downfall. 

I do think that one new SK book you recommended a little while ago is going to be one of my next ones tho

• Like 1

Just finished Anxious People by Fredrik Backman. Fastest I’ve ever finished a 300+ page book (2 days) but that’s mostly cause the book I’ve been wanting to read arrived today in the mail lol. The book was unexpectedly good. I decided 100 pages in I was going to hate it cause the characters were annoying at the get go, but as the book went on I fell for the plot, the insightful thoughts by the author, the interconnecting storylines, and discovering the characters were deliberately annoying for a reason that was exposed at the end. One bite, everyone knows the rules. I’m giving it an 8.1

I finished The Last Town. It was good but probably my least favorite of the trilogy. I’d give it an 8.5 probably. I read Blake Crouch’s ama saying he doesn’t care to do a 4th book which hurts since the 3rd leaves the future kinda ambiguous but it was a good trilogy overall. Definitely going to buy more Blake Crouch books in the future. 

Next on the docket is Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, and if I like it I’ll do The Town and finish No Country for Old Men at some point. But after BM I think I’m gonna finally try to tackle Infinite Jest even though it sounds daunting from word of mouth. 

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I finished The Last Town. It was good but probably my least favorite of the trilogy. I’d give it an 8.5 probably. I read Blake Crouch’s ama saying he doesn’t care to do a 4th book which hurts since the 3rd leaves the future kinda ambiguous but it was a good trilogy overall. Definitely going to buy more Blake Crouch books in the future. 

Next on the docket is Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, and if I like it I’ll do The Town and finish No Country for Old Men at some point. But after BM I think I’m gonna finally try to tackle Infinite Jest even though it sounds daunting from word of mouth. 

As someone who has read everything McCarthy has written, if you want to do Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian is a great way to start, but I'd read the border trilogy after instead of No CountryNo Country is almost an epilogue to the border trilogy, and BM is pretty much a preamble.  And they work very well read in chronological order, even though those two aren't part of the trilogy.

Cormac McCarthy is the greatest living American writer, and if you haven't finished a book by him before, I'm excited for you.  Blood Meridian is his best.  Cities of the Plain and All the Pretty Horses aren't far behind.

Good luck on Inifinite Jest.  That's gonna be one for when I have nothing but time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got finished with Brandon Sanderson's "Rhythm of War", which is the fourth novel of the Stormlight Archive. It was a very good book, a little bit better with a better flow than Oathbringer. I still have Way of Kings and Words of Radiance higher on my list. I'm not going to get into details, but Rhythm of War had one of the best chapters of any book that I have EVER read. It was written to progress the plot, but also it was written for you and me as well...in this crazy world. That chapter alone is worth the read.

51mXkL4fXeL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Started Jurassic Park, my first Crichton novel since 9th grade or so when I read Prey. Don’t remember Prey at all, just remember that I liked it. I can definitely feel Blake Crouch’s inspiration is derived from Crichton’s unique story ideas and writing style. Bummer that Crichton died at 66, he probably had a couple more good ones in him. 

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Started Jurassic Park, my first Crichton novel since 9th grade or so when I read Prey. Don’t remember Prey at all, just remember that I liked it. I can definitely feel Blake Crouch’s inspiration is derived from Crichton’s unique story ideas and writing style. Bummer that Crichton died at 66, he probably had a couple more good ones in him. 

Micro was Crichton’s probably second or third best novel and it was published posthumously.  I really, really, really love Michael Crichton’s writing.

He makes me, a science idiot, feel like I can understand science.  

State of Fear was also excellent.  Don’t read The Lost World though.  That one was a major miss for him.

• Like 1