What are you reading? V1

Forge

On 2/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, sammymvpknight said:

Just got finished with Brandon Sanderson's "Rhythm of War", which is the fourth novel of the Stormlight Archive. It was a very good book, a little bit better with a better flow than Oathbringer. I still have Way of Kings and Words of Radiance higher on my list. I'm not going to get into details, but Rhythm of War had one of the best chapters of any book that I have EVER read. It was written to progress the plot, but also it was written for you and me as well...in this crazy world. That chapter alone is worth the read.

51mXkL4fXeL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I should have paid more attention to when it was releasing. I'm kind of committed to finishing up my Joe Abercrombie/First Law re-read(on The Heroes now) before starting this but I'm really looking forward do it.

Interesting that you mention having one of the best chapters, because LIS, I'm reading The Heroes now and it has my favorite chapter of any book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Are Kindles worth it? 

If you're someone that needs the feel of a book, then no. My wife has one but never uses it. I get most of my books on Kindle though. We travel a lot so it's perfect to take with me when we're on the go for a few weeks. The only downside is no resell value on books you buy. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 12:55 PM, Outpost31 said:

Micro was Crichton’s probably second or third best novel and it was published posthumously.  I really, really, really love Michael Crichton’s writing.

He makes me, a science idiot, feel like I can understand science.  

State of Fear was also excellent.  Don’t read The Lost World though.  That one was a major miss for him.

Glad to see someone else liked State of Fear as much I did. I haven’t read (or listened to the audio versions of) that many of his books yet, but I think it’s up there with Jurassic Park and Sphere, which seem to have received more praise.

Thanks for the heads up on The Lost World. I got Rising Sun on sale on Audible. I’m leaning toward either that or The Great Train Robbery for my next Crichton. I hadn’t heard much about Micro. I’ll look into it.

Edited by JohnChimpo

On 2/18/2021 at 2:10 AM, Deadpulse said:

man you resell your books?

I am a big proponent on trading/gifting books after having read them. 

Do I? No. I have a kindle. My wife, sadly, doesn't either. So now we have shelves and shelves of books that she loans out to friends. But if that's a thing people care about, then a Kindle doesn't work. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished Jurassic Park. Michael Crichton was such a good writer. He was especially good at taking scientific theories and philosophy and making it approachable and understandable to idiots like me. I have a much deeper appreciation for Jurassic park after reading this and rewatching the movies for the first time in like decades. This book was a masterpiece, outside of some of the characters surviving situations they shouldn’t. Lex in particular. There’s literally no reason Lex should’ve survived. Most annoying character. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Just finished Jurassic Park. Michael Crichton was such a good writer. He was especially good at taking scientific theories and philosophy and making it approachable and understandable to idiots like me. I have a much deeper appreciation for Jurassic park after reading this and rewatching the movies for the first time in like decades. This book was a masterpiece, outside of some of the characters surviving situations they shouldn’t. Lex in particular. There’s literally no reason Lex should’ve survived. Most annoying character. 

I was curious to see how he was going to work that style into Rising Sun, which is a murder mystery, but he managed to do a great job of it by elaborately detailing Japanese video surveillance technology, Japanese-USA economic relations, Japanese culture, etc. I don’t know of any fiction author who was more meticulous in his research.

Any James Ellroy fans here? The USA Underworld Trilogy was absolutely brilliant, and I’m trying to decide when I want to start the LA Quartet.