What are you reading? V1

Forge

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Just finished Jurassic Park. Michael Crichton was such a good writer. He was especially good at taking scientific theories and philosophy and making it approachable and understandable to idiots like me. I have a much deeper appreciation for Jurassic park after reading this and rewatching the movies for the first time in like decades. This book was a masterpiece, outside of some of the characters surviving situations they shouldn’t. Lex in particular. There’s literally no reason Lex should’ve survived. Most annoying character. 

Yeah, movie Lex is way better

On 3/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, Shockwave said:

My #1 absolute hero. I own all her books (although cannot claim I've read them all).

This comment and the subsequent lol are examples of why I wanted to read something by her. I wanted to know what all the fuss (either way) was about. The story itself has been a little up and down for me so far, but I’m starting to get more into it.

2 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

i feel that when i read almost all of Stephen Kings books

I was trying to avoid directly saying that all to true trope, but exactly. Although the last two of his I read had endings that were mostly fine. 

I'll never forgive The Outsider though. One of the best first halves of a book I have ever read and then ... that

Going to go through a reading phase now. Have finished two books in the last three days. The most recent was "In the Woods" by Tana French, and I'll be honest, I'm still sorting through my feelings on this one, which is somewhat rare (I tend to read books purely from an entertainment standpoint). I thought it was very well written....but damn, it was kind of sad lol. You could kind of see it coming throughout the book, watching things devolve and it leaves you with an empty pit in your stomach. The way it ended is absolutely fitting, but that didn't make things any better lol. The protagonist is very hard to like at times (especially as the book progresses) because he's so damaged...to watch him basically self destruct is hard from the entertainment standpoint, especially since you mainly get to know him in the early portions of the book through the lens of his relationship with his partner, which is wonderful. 

On 2/19/2021 at 10:14 AM, Daniel said:

Rereading The Lord of the Rings.  Because I need some light reading to sandwich Anna Karenina, if I'm finally gonna tackle that.

The verisimilitude of the lord of the rings is great, the lore and the history profound too.

On 3/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, Shockwave said:

My #1 absolute hero. I own all her books (although cannot claim I've read them all).

I just finished The Fountainhead. I liked it. I disliked her characters and one particular event in the book. However, I mostly agreed with her philosophy, and I know that’s what the book is really about.

• Like 1

I started The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy the other day. This is only my fourth book of his, but he has easily become one of my favorite authors since I discovered him last year. I haven’t seen the movie, but Ellroy made negative comments about it so don’t judge the book by the adaptation if you’ve seen it. The LA Confidential movie was great though, and I can’t wait to listen to the audiobook. It’s the third book in the LA Quartet, and The Black Dahlia is the first.

So I started this book called The City in the Night by Charlie Jane Anders

I got about 20% through and just hated it. The writing style (because it pretends to be a translation) was garbage. The story, while an interesting premise, was boring. Gave up. Sometimes you just gotta get out. 

Completely switching gears I am now reading Kanye West Owes Me $300 by Jensen Karp. 

51Ln9xC9DYL.jpg