What are you reading? V1

Forge

On 2/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, sammymvpknight said:

Just got finished with Brandon Sanderson's "Rhythm of War", which is the fourth novel of the Stormlight Archive. It was a very good book, a little bit better with a better flow than Oathbringer. I still have Way of Kings and Words of Radiance higher on my list. I'm not going to get into details, but Rhythm of War had one of the best chapters of any book that I have EVER read. It was written to progress the plot, but also it was written for you and me as well...in this crazy world. That chapter alone is worth the read.

51mXkL4fXeL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So I’m nearly done with the book but was the chapter…. 

Spoiler

Run from me? That was so bad ***. Beheading your enemy in front of their friends is objectively awesome. I could stop smiling.

Also a huge fan of Adolin’s trial arc.

51 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

So I’m nearly done with the book but was the chapter…. 

Reveal hidden contents

Run from me? That was so bad ***. Beheading your enemy in front of their friends is objectively awesome. I could stop smiling.

Also a huge fan of Adolin’s trial arc.

The good thing about TWoK is though it’s immense, there’s a payoff. There is a particular chapter in RoW that is honestly my favorite book chapter. I’ve probably read it/played it on audiobook over 50 times. I’ve read it too my children and they frequently ask me to re-read it. You’ll know it when you read it. 

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

The good thing about TWoK is though it’s immense, there’s a payoff. There is a particular chapter in RoW that is honestly my favorite book chapter. I’ve probably read it/played it on audiobook over 50 times. I’ve read it too my children and they frequently ask me to re-read it. You’ll know it when you read it. 

So I guess you're not talking about the same chapter I was. The mental image of what Kal did just put the biggest grin on my face. 

Spoiler

aacd92njvs261.png

If you read it to your kids, was it The Dog and the Dragon?

56 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

So I guess you're not talking about the same chapter I was. The mental image of what Kal did just put the biggest grin on my face. 

Reveal hidden contents

aacd92njvs261.png

If you read it to your kids, was it The Dog and the Dragon?

Indeed. Definitely one of the best fables I’ve ever read. I’m hard on myself, so it was a chapter that means a ton to me personally

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 7:52 AM, broncofan48 said:

Reading Dune and liking it so far (my old man always had me read the books before watching an adaptation).

What I'm curious about is are all the sequels worth reading too?   Wondering if i should set about ordering them right now

Sort of? Lame answer, I know. There are some good things in the next two books. And some not as good. But I'd say yes, overall. The next two are worth reading, but they aren't as great.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

How is that book?

looks intrguing

Oral histories and behind the scenes content are fascinating to me so I’m really enjoying this.  It’s such a great complement to the show.  I rewatched it last year but this has me itching to start it up again. 

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:52 AM, broncofan48 said:

What I'm curious about is are all the sequels worth reading too?   Wondering if i should set about ordering them right now

Dune: Messiah I've always thought of as an absolute companion piece to the original. It continues the original story, in a necessary way. Children of Dune is interesting...but somewhat nebulous. There's some weird, inexplicable, stuff in there. God Emperor of Dune is, IMO, a complete mess structurally. And I was done with the series after that. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 3:44 PM, Heinz D. said:

Dune: Messiah I've always thought of as an absolute companion piece to the original. It continues the original story, in a necessary way. Children of Dune is interesting...but somewhat nebulous. There's some weird, inexplicable, stuff in there. God Emperor of Dune is, IMO, a complete mess structurally. And I was done with the series after that. 

Same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...