What are you reading? V1

Forge

I need to stop frequenting this thread and subreddits similar because I have an entire room of my house purely dedicated to all my books, many of which I haven’t even read but that didn’t stop me from buying the South Reach trilogy (books the movie Annihilation was made from)

I hate catelyn stark less in the book than I did in the show and I only really hate her for how s****y she is to Jon Snow. But I do like her absolute adoration for the Starks even though it was an arranged marriage. 

Finished A Game of Thrones finally. There wasn’t a significant divergence from what I know in the show, but it fleshed out everything better and made several parts I thought nothing of feel more dramatic and enthralling. The first book is a masterpiece. The show was phenomenal too but the book makes each character so much more alive and important. Seeing their individual thoughts in chapters gave them a soul and complexity you can’t really get in shows unless you have dorky Scrubs-esque internal narration. 

Book one ignored Stannis totally. Book two starts with him. “I’m here, and im pissed off!” -Stannis

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Finished A Game of Thrones finally. There wasn’t a significant divergence from what I know in the show, but it fleshed out everything better and made several parts I thought nothing of feel more dramatic and enthralling. The first book is a masterpiece. The show was phenomenal too but the book makes each character so much more alive and important. Seeing their individual thoughts in chapters gave them a soul and complexity you can’t really get in shows unless you have dorky Scrubs-esque internal narration. 

Book one ignored Stannis totally. Book two starts with him. “I’m here, and im pissed off!” -Stannis

They slowly as each book and season goes but season 1 was a very faithful adaptation of book 1. 

The start of Clash of Kings is a drag, Stannis is just a boring character. His character in only 20 pages makes me wonder if he has Asperger’s. Anti-social, emotionally cut off/doesn’t understand emotions, teeth grinding, etc. 

Anyone on here like Red Rising? I just heard of it after randomly reading an article about so many writers trying to copy the Hunger Games template of a down and out dystopian nobody being the chosen one and usurping a malevolent affluent power. I wonder if it’s good/feels unique because all of those back then felt like the same thing. 

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Anyone on here like Red Rising? I just heard of it after randomly reading an article about so many writers trying to copy the Hunger Games template of a down and out dystopian nobody being the chosen one and usurping a malevolent affluent power. I wonder if it’s good/feels unique because all of those back then felt like the same thing. 

I thought it was great. The first one feels like a copy of Hunger Games but still does a better job of the whole thing. After that, as it gets more into the world, it deviates and is much better than the Hunger Games story IMO although the general concept is the same(low ranking people overthrowing the ruling class for a better society). There was a second trilogy too but I haven't read that one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I absolutely loved it. First book is definitely a mash up of Hunger Games and Dune. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, mattyice0401 said:

Are the Dune books worth it at all? Just watched the new film and it peaked my interest enough to maybe giving them a try

Ive only read the first book, and while it is good I have no plan on reading the rest. Author does a good job of building the world, and having a bunch of characters with their own personalities. 

8 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Ive only read the first book [Dune], and while it is good I have no plan on reading the rest. Author does a good job of building the world, and having a bunch of characters with their own personalities. 

This is exactly how i felt. 

On 8/12/2022 at 3:50 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Anyone read John Gwynne's other book series? I read The Faithful and the Fallen series and enjoyed it quite a bit. I see he's got two new series now. 

I haven't yet. I too read faithful and fallen.  I started the first book of the second series and kept getting distracted. Like his writing though. I will read them at some point