What are you reading? V1

Forge

Re-read the 3 Dunk and Egg books by George RR Martin, and now i'm pissed because I know he's never going to get another one done despite saying he'd have 10-12 short storied about them.  The three are so good.

Also finally got around to reading the rest of Fire and Blood, which isn't as good as ASoIaF or Dunk and Egg, but I still enjoyed it and wanted to read it before it would have inevitably been spoiled for me with HotD out now.

• 2 weeks later...

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Its a really good read so far. I really like it because for the most part, the things that happen in the movie either arent in the book or are just glossed over.

So its like we get to follow situations as part of a larger scope.

Its definitely a great companion piece to the movie, but watch the movie first for sure

1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

I couldnt finish it, Got to around page 100 right when the ship sinks and had to put it down, just didnt hold my attention.

Lol that’s right before the fantasy novel kicks off…and all of the philosophical background starts to tie in. The movie is also good. If you couldn’t get through the book, I’d use the movie as a cliffnotes 

10 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Lol that’s right before the fantasy novel kicks off…and all of the philosophical background starts to tie in. The movie is also good. If you couldn’t get through the book, I’d use the movie as a cliffnotes 

Would you recommend picking it back up and giving it another go? If it gets better around that point i may give it another go.

It only took several months, but A Song of Fire and Ice (4,931 pages) is a wrap for me until GRRM decides to continue it lol.

Up next is either Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer or Upgrade by Blake Crouch. Will most likely be the latter cause I liked Dark Matter, Recursion, and Wayward Pines so much. 

Blake Crouch has a very accessible and unintimidating writing style that flows very easily because he always writes from his character’s perspective. The character is always personable and humane, slightly oafish but capable of some brilliance that should seem beyond them. Like a TV dinner dad type that is also the highest authority in his scientific field. 

Finished Upgrade earlier by Blake Crouch. It was alright. It had a ton of issues in consistency, seeming to forget at times the rules he made for his character’s skill set. I’m starting lose interest in Crouch as this is the third book in a row with essentially the exact same protagonist, living the same life with the same feeling wife and kid, same morals and sense of purpose. The plot of all three books features a wild, black mirror future tech or science thrust upon the protagonist and then he has to form an unlikely bond with someone, bounce across America in hiding until finding a way to thwart a scheme. They’re all fun books and independently read fine if you only read one, but pairing them together is like reading the same book 3 times with key points and characters “changed”. Of the three, I think this one he flew too close to the sun by having his IQ enhanced so incomprehensibly high, because there was never really a point in the book where his internal narrative felt smarter than average. His favorite adjective throughout was “sh*tty”, which is apparently a smart person word. I’m not a smart person though. 

On 8/1/2022 at 9:01 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

@skywindO2 What books should I read before moving to Book 3? Almost done with On the Shoulders of Titans. 

I just started The Torch That Ignites the Stars. I'm excited to be back to the Corin. I like Corin more Keras as a narrator. Wasn't a huge fan of Six Sacred Swords but I'll still read Soulbrand next. There's also a 4th book of Arcane Ascension that either just came out or is coming out this month?

Anyway, AA3, I love the spire chapters in particular. They just feel like D&D scenarios, you just know Andrew is huge RPG guy. 

On 8/2/2022 at 6:48 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

First Law Trilogy

When you get back to reading 

Best Served Cold, The Heroes, and Red Country are waiting for you.

Give yourself a break and then you have A Little Hatred, The Trouble With Peace, and The Wisdom of Crowds for if you decide you need more Glokta.